Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
HYANNIS (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - A 5-year-old boy faces possible suspension, after building a gun out of legos, during his after school program.

Joseph Cardosa is part of the after school program at Hyannis West Elementary School, on Cape Cod. His parents received a letter a few days ago that said Joseph has received his first written warning for using toys inappropriately, and that upon a secon written warning, he will be suspended from the program for two weeks.

Joseph's parents, Shelia Cruz and Octavio Cardosa, say the school is taking things too far.

"It's not like he's designing a machine gun," said Cardosa.

"I can understand with all the things that are going on right now in schools, but on the other hand, kids are taught you know 'here's a squirt gun, this is fun,' so this is fun to him, you know what I mean, he's running around playing - a little bit of re-direction would have been enough," said Cruz, Joseph's mother.

This is at least the third time in just the past few weeks that a child has been scolded over a toy gun, or worse. In Eastern Pennsylvania, a 5-year-old was suspended after she was overheard talking about using a "Hello Kitty" bubble gun to shoot her friends. And in Philadelphia, a 5th grader was searched and scolded for pulling out a piece of torn paper in class in the shape of a gun, and allegedly telling classmates she had a handgun on her.

Fox 25's Heather Hegedus took the cases to Needham Child Psychologist Dr. Larry Berkowitz and asked him how parents and schools can discern red flags and concerning behavior versus simply "child's play." Berkowitz says some of the behavior is normal, considering the "violent diet" he says children today are fed every day.

"Some of that's normative to our culture," said Berkowitz. "That's what kids see: in video games, in movies, they see it on TV, they hear about guns in the news, so, yeah, some of this is about copying and some of it is about gaining a sense of mastery of power for kids, sometime. Again, we don't know the specifics of any one situation and that's what we want to understand with a given child: what was going on - these could be great opportunities, teachable moments to bring up these topics with our children."

The principal of Hyannis West Elementary told Fox 25 "we need a safe enviornment for our students," and said: "While someone might think that making a Lego gun is just an action of a 5-year-old, to other 5-year-olds, that might be a scary experience."

Source;
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/20757580/2013/01/28/hyannis-west-student-5-warned-for-making-lego-gun#ixzz2JMaCj31Q

Kawaii Shoujo

Building a gun out of lego... a five year old gets suspended for playing? Let me guess not long afterwords we will hear an expulsion when a small child makes a comment that will be classified as a 'terrorist act', am I right?
fairy-phoenix
Building a gun out of lego... a five year old gets suspended for playing? Let me guess not long afterwords we will hear an expulsion when a small child makes a comment that will be classified as a 'terrorist act', am I right?

Already been there

But guys, come on, let's get real. You want to stop kids from shooting, but you won't take away the weapons? What have you got left that's not severe overreactions? This way, the kid will always know guns are bad. But tell me, what else do you suggest to stop the shootings?

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
It's jut getting dumber

6,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Wow, This is terrible. He's a little boy, Little boys like to play with toy guns and stuff. He shouldn't be punished for doing something so harmless, He probably didn't even know better.

It seems to me, That people are just over reacting. So a 5 year old boy builds a gun out of legos, so what?! That doesn't mean he's going to grow up to be a terrorist! I used to play with baby dolls, that didn't mean I was going to go and get pregnant early. I used to do my barbie's hair and stuff, That doesn't mean im going to go be a barber. They're just blowing things out of proportion.

Fashionable Hunter

emotion_facepalm

On another note, my brother used to make usable shooters (guns, tanks, catapults) out of Legos all the time when he was in elementary school, but the school didn't have their own set of Legos O.o and he sure as hell didn't bring them with him because he'd lose all of the pieces eventually.

6,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
x-Garethp-x
fairy-phoenix

Already been there

But guys, come on, let's get real. You want to stop kids from shooting, but you won't take away the weapons? What have you got left that's not severe overreactions? This way, the kid will always know guns are bad. But tell me, what else do you suggest to stop the shootings?

That's crazy! Making kids scared of guns is not the way to handle it.

Guns aren't "bad". People who want to SHOOT other people are bad. Guns don't say "Hey man, go and shoot everybody". It's your own decision if you shoot someone, not the gun's. The Police carry guns, Should we teach kids to be scared of them? Blaming shootings on guns is like blaming a pencil for misspellled words.
The way you stop the shootings and teach kids not to be crazy killers is to teach them right from wrong! It's as simple as that! They just need to know how to treat people nicely and have respect and that killing is wrong. ..... Which BTW is pretty sad that we have to tell people that killing someone is wrong....
Whats he gonna do shoot you with imaginary bullets?! People are over reacting anymore!

Space Genius

Fox news....
On topic
Banning gun isn't the right way to do it. Banning a faux gun made of Legos? Really? I don't see the logic in this. What about Nerf guns? Are we going to ban them too?

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200

Wintry Dragon

Yes. Let's punish the creativity out of people while they're young.

Dangerous Lunatic

It's bullshit like this that pushes me that much closer to homeschooling.

Heart Phantom

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Another news article over ruining childhood and its about guns. Only this time, rather than being cops and robbers, its a gun made out of Legos. Really? Is that what we consider "a threat" now? Lego guns? Next thing will be saying the word "gun" will get a student suspended. Some people are super sensitive these days. Let children be children while they can. That should be more important.

Festive Gaian

9,850 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tree's the Season 100
emotion_facepalm

Greedy Consumer

I on one of those..
I forget what they are called lol. Where it has two knobs and you shake it when you are done to erase the image you drew, I drew a sorta nice gun on that before when i was little.
I didnt shoot anybody lol, next they are gonna outlaw nerf guns, frikken idiots.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff