Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
source
Quote:
'This is not 1960': Outrage after four black and Asian students at University of Texas at Austin 'hit with balloons filled with Bleach'

Several African-American and Asian students attending University of Texas at Austin reported being targeted in racially charged attacks involving balloons allegedly filled with bleach.

The clams sparked widespread protests, with students, faculty and alumni gathering in front of the statue of Martin Luther King Jr on Tuesday for a march against intolerance.

Four UT students filed complaints with the university police on Monday saying that they were hit with balloons which they believed contained bleach.

According to the complaints, all of the attacks happened between June and September in the vicinity of West Campus apartments, which is off UT's campus, university spokesperson Cindy Posey told ABC News.

According to Posey, rumors about 'bleach bombs' have been going around campus for a couple of months, but it wasn't until UT Police Chief Robert Dahlstrom looked into the claims that four students of color came forward and reported being hit.

'It's very frustrating to know that it's 2012 and that stuff like this still happens,' student Jaysen Runnels told KVUE.

The African-American student said he had been targeted twice by balloons containing what is believed to be bleach which were lobbed from high-rise buildings.

'A bleach bomb fell and hit me, my roommate,' said Runnels. 'Well, almost hit us. It barely missed us.'

According to some reports, on at least one occasion the 'bleach bombing' was prefaced by a racial epitaph hurled at the victim.

Police have been unable to confirm if the rubber projectiles were filled with bleach, or if the alleged attacks were indeed racially motivated, but the investigation into the matter continues.

'UT is an incredibly diverse community, and we are adamantly opposed to anything resembling any kind of racial discrimination,' Posey said. 'So we are working really hard to get to the bottom of it. We're talking to people and trying to find out what happened.'

Early Tuesday evening, dozens of people armed with signs bearing slogans decrying racism gathered on the UT campus and marched toward the West Campus neighborhood where all four of the attacks had happened.

Along the way, some of the victims made stops to share their experiences.

Taylor Carr, a sophomore anthropology student, told the group that a bleach-filled balloon was tossed at her from a balcony at 26th and Rio Grande streets as she walked down the street below.

'It is people of color they are attacking in West Campus,' Carr told the university paper The Horn. 'Until we put pressure on the university to [protect] us, these events are going to keep happening.'

Chas Moore, a UT alumnus and community activist who was among the organizers of Tuesday’s march, encouraged any student who has been 'bleach-bombed' to report their attack.

'This is not 1960,' Moore said. 'We are not going to be afraid to walk anywhere. We are not going back in time.'

Moore later added an ominous warning: 'If they touch another student of color or any gender or anything I am coming over here myself, and that, my friend, is a promise.'

Several fraternities at UT Austin, which are overwhelmingly white, have found themselves in hot water recently after organizing parties where guests donned clothing stereotypical of minority groups.

In one instance, Tri Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha threw a Mexican-themed 'Fiesta' where two party-goers wore shirts bearing the words 'Illegal' and 'Border Patrol.'

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Well, time to get some whoopass sticks. ******** these racist little shits!

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The physical attack part is just wrong no matter what color the victim is. I hope they get the folks doing it. And really?... Asians are now included in "people of color"? lol

As to the party thing - I don't think they should try to make parties politically correct. If the whole point of the party was 'anti-Mexican' then that is wrong but if it is just a bunch of amateurs dressing up in their version of 'Mexican' I don't have a problem with some folks having a less than PC costume. Theme parties have long been an excuse to get together and drink / party.

Not all Greeks had sex and drank until they threw up but I've never heard of a toga party being branded as 'racist' even those most folks are probably not dressed very authentically. Same thing for stereotypes of Wiccans at Halloween parties, or pirates at pirate parties or Polynesians at South Seas themed parties and so on. Listen to a routine from a Mexican comedian. it almost always has some reference to border / w*****k / greencard etc. Some jokes are bad but they don't necessarily have racist intent.

HimeKeesho's Wife

That's hella messed up!!!! scream

Unholy Werewolf

17,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
The monkey balls?! I can't believe people. I am shocked I didn't see this news post earlier.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
The physical attack part is just wrong no matter what color the victim is. I hope they get the folks doing it. And really?... Asians are now included in "people of color"? lol

As to the party thing - I don't think they should try to make parties politically correct. If the whole point of the party was 'anti-Mexican' then that is wrong but if it is just a bunch of amateurs dressing up in their version of 'Mexican' I don't have a problem with some folks having a less than PC costume. Theme parties have long been an excuse to get together and drink / party.

Not all Greeks had sex and drank until they threw up but I've never heard of a toga party being branded as 'racist' even those most folks are probably not dressed very authentically. Same thing for stereotypes of Wiccans at Halloween parties, or pirates at pirate parties or Polynesians at South Seas themed parties and so on. Listen to a routine from a Mexican comedian. it almost always has some reference to border / w*****k / greencard etc. Some jokes are bad but they don't necessarily have racist intent.
Anyone not "white" counts as a "person of color." I want to know why that phrase and its plural form are acceptable but "colored people" is not.

Togas are Roman. Aside from Stockton Guy (an ED troll) who is of diminished mental capacity and calls them the n-word, I've never seen anyone consider Italians as anything but white, and popular opinion seems to be that nothing can be racist against a white person, an opinion I do not share.

What are stereotypes of Wiccans? Mine is of mostly obese men and women with glasses, in garish clothes, wearing far too much jewelry - mostly of cheap silver and vaguely Celtic design - and spouting about the Lady as much as a Pentecostal shrieks "Hallelujah!" at a revival. Take away the religious crap and you are left with your average con nerd.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
How can you tell someone's race from 36 floors up? Sorry I'm just wondering. Also these people are idiots like the article said its not 1960 and for the whole illegal Mexican crap the colonist didn't have green cards when they came to America. Immigrants built this country, if you don't like it leave.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Must...resist...urge...to say it...

Okay, I give up. Of course it's Texas!

What perfectly horrible people the attackers are. It's one thing to drop water balloons on people; it's rude, but no big deal. Bleach, though? Are they insane? They're aware of how dangerous that is, right?

Fashionable Hunter

Booty Tickle
How can you tell someone's race from 36 floors up? Sorry I'm just wondering. Also these people are idiots like the article said its not 1960 and for the whole illegal Mexican crap the colonist didn't have green cards when they came to America. Immigrants built this country, if you don't like it leave.

Color and hair texture probably isn't that hard to tell from 36 floors up, actually. Err, I know this because one of my school clubs stayed in California for a while and we were judging people from our room on the 35th floor of the hotel. (In my defense, we didn't drop anything or yell at them. We were bored, so we stared down at the people and made up usually insulting stories...yeah.)

Fashionable Hunter

Ringoringa

What perfectly horrible people the attackers are. It's one thing to drop water balloons on people; it's rude, but no big deal. Bleach, though? Are they insane? They're aware of how dangerous that is, right?

I kind of get it. Bleach makes things white. A splash is a white-wash.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

kakteed
Ringoringa

Sadly, that's probably the only thing those hicks care about.

Fashionable Hunter

Super Fightin Prototype
kakteed
Ringoringa

Sadly, that's probably the only thing those hicks care about.

*shrug* Well I certainly don't know what else they'd care about mrgreen

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
kakteed
Booty Tickle

Color and hair texture probably isn't that hard to tell from 36 floors up, actually. Err, I know this because one of my school clubs stayed in California for a while and we were judging people from our room on the 35th floor of the hotel. (In my defense, we didn't drop anything or yell at them. We were bored, so we stared down at the people and made up usually insulting stories...yeah.)
oh okay, I was trying to think back to the last time I was up that high and couldn't really remember looking down at the people I was focusing on the buildings. But thanks

Cache : where does the queen of England live?
Choices: North Korean
New Jersey
Kansas
Newfoundland
England

Fashionable Hunter

Booty Tickle
kakteed
Booty Tickle

oh okay, I was trying to think back to the last time I was up that high and couldn't really remember looking down at the people I was focusing on the buildings. But thanks

Cache : where does the queen of England live?
Choices: North Korean
New Jersey
Kansas
Newfoundland
England

NEW JERSEY. SHE LIVES IN NEW JERSEY.

She lives next door biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash