Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
Vice President Biden and his entourage spent a little time in London in early February during his first foreign trip of the second term of the Obama administration. A document released today revealed that the cost of lodging in London alone was close to half a million dollars. The contract was awarded on January 30, 2013 to the Hyatt Regency London for a total of $459,388.65.

Due to obvious security concerns, such contracts are not open to the competitive bidding normally required on government contracts. The accompanying document justifying the "sole source" contract notes that the vice president's group required "approximately 136 hotel rooms for 893 room nights." Based on these figures and the total contract price, each hotel room at the five star hotel cost the U.S. government about $500 per night.

Source;
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-pays-45938865-hotel-bill_708795.html

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't see the problem here.
Do people not realize how much is involved when our heads of state travel? I'm actually surprised it's that small.

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

That's a lot less than what some of the congressmen end up spending on their hotel rooms...

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Well, damn. I thought he'd pulled a stunt worthy of Keith Moon.
You know, that's cheap for 5 star hotel rooms. I mean, that's cheap even before you add on what companies usually add for Governments

Hallowed Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Ratttking
Well, damn. I thought he'd pulled a stunt worthy of Keith Moon.

That's what I thought too. But that's a lot of rooms, so it makes sense.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Biden isn't travelling alone he's got assistants, guards a second shift of all these people and more. I'm surprised the cost is so modest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff