Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

Source and pictures

Yesterday Petoskey News reported that a man dressed as Batman was arrested for resisting and obstructing a police investigation. Mark Wayne Williams, 33, resides in Petoskey, Michigan, and it isn't the first time he's been arrested dressed as the comic-book vigilante.

When troopers responded to scene of an accident where a driver had fled the scene, Williams was already there, in full costume. “When we arrived, he was at the scene in his Batman outfit,” said Sgt. Gorno of the Michigan State Police. "He wouldn’t clear the scene and we had a canine out there and he kept screwing up the scent. He said he wanted to help us look for the driver...he was getting in the way of officers who had a job to do.”

Police confiscated the Batman costume and William's gear. He was not carrying any dangerous weapons. The obstruction charges carry a possible two-year sentence. Williams had a previous run in with the law in May 2011 when officers arrested him after a report of a man dressed as Batman hanging out on a rooftop. On that occasion Williams was carrying “a baton-type striking weapon, a can of chemical irritant spray and a pair of sand-filled gloves.” He was released on bond from Emmet County Jail and is due to appear in court on October 18.

Williams says he didn't intend to hurt anyone, and some don't feel like he has.

Petoskey local Scott Cromie said, “I knew Mark back in the day and I know some of his family. He has had a long troubled life. He does NOT need jail time. That will only make him worse off. This man needs help. He is a good person. I think if he was a bad person he wouldn't be trying to help. A little screwy, but a good person none the less. This will tell us how good of people we have in office in Emmet County.”

Vicious Reveler

Another article I read said that May 2011 arrest lead to a probation in which he was forbidden to wear the outfit

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Silly rabbit! Everyone knows Batman's real name is BRUCE Wayne, not Mark Wayne.

Salty Fatcat

Honestly it upsets me how poorly some law enforcement officers treat those who are clearly mentally unstable. A 33 year old man who dresses as Batman obviously has some issues and they shouldn't treat him as a criminal.

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
David2074
Silly rabbit! Everyone knows Batman's real name is BRUCE Wayne, not Mark Wayne.

LOL! agreed! xd

Vicious Reveler

Tocahontas

Honestly it upsets me how poorly some law enforcement officers treat those who are clearly mentally unstable. A 33 year old man who dresses as Batman obviously has some issues and they shouldn't treat him as a criminal.

I have to agree with you... but I am also against encarcerating non-violent offenders of any type.

Salty Fatcat

BloodandIvory

As am I. I actually believe that it has a negative effect upon those who are non-violent and initially goes against the whole purpose of the criminal justice system.
That's the type of people you have to worry about, the ones who can't separate fantasy from reality.

Vicious Reveler

Brilwen
That's the type of people you have to worry about, the ones who can't separate fantasy from reality.

Okay, I'm sorry but that comment paired with your signature made me laugh. xp

Dangerous Visionary

BloodandIvory
Tocahontas

I have to agree with you... but I am also against encarcerating non-violent offenders of any type.

Same here and at least he didn't go about shooting a dozen people.

Vicious Reveler

Miss-dark8607

Same here and at least he didn't go about shooting a dozen people.

Yeah, this guy is completely innocuous. I can understand the police getting exasperated and giving him a charge, but even then... this person is obviously not exactly in touch with reality, so chances are any charges isn't really going to do any good unless there is some sort of court mandated counseling.

I'd really hate to think about how other inmates would treat him in jail.

Blessed Exhibitionist

10,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Conversationalist 100
Hang up the cowl Bruce. It's over. Wait for Terry McGinnis to come along, and take over, you crazy old coot!
Aw c'mon, let Batman do his job ... These naughty little policemen are afraid of getting their livelihoods taken away from them, that's what.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff