Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Nymph

Ratttking
Chibi^^Shiro
Catcher in the Rye is a banned book? so why I had to read it at school?

edit: and then I've remembered I don't live in USA :/
It has been banned by various US school districts over the years. Sorry you were forced to read it. Salinger did much better writing than that generally.

It really depends on where you live in the US. I was subjected to the 'joy' of reading it. And Brave New World, which despite disliking, I still feel strongly about enough to keep on my shelf. Same with To Kill a Mockingbird, which I did like.

Skimming the lists makes me face-palm. "My Mommy's Having a Baby" because of sexual content?! Really?!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Ratttking
Chibi^^Shiro

It has been banned by various US school districts over the years. Sorry you were forced to read it. Salinger did much better writing than that generally.

It really depends on where you live in the US. I was subjected to the 'joy' of reading it. And Brave New World, which despite disliking, I still feel strongly about enough to keep on my shelf. Same with To Kill a Mockingbird, which I did like.

Skimming the lists makes me face-palm. "My Mommy's Having a Baby" because of sexual content?! Really?!
I read Catcher to see why that ******** who murdered John Lennon was so fascinated by it. I still have no idea why or how it inspired his crime.

Feral Nymph

Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
Chibi^^Shiro

I read Catcher to see why that ******** who murdered John Lennon was so fascinated by it. I still have no idea why or how it inspired his crime.

xP Like many former high school students, I just do not care. I hated being forced to read it and the book was on the Goodwill pile the second the school year was out. At least it fared better then "Things Fall Apart", a book I hate with all my essence. My best friend and I had a little cathartic book shredding at the end of the year for that one. >;3

Sure, call it a 'classic' and deride me for hating it (once again, general you, not *you*, Ratttking). There are many classics that people disagree on. I love Shakespeare, but I'm sure many of my other classmates hated it. No idea why, though. Once you learned how filthy Shakespeare could be, particularly in Romeo and Juliet and even more so in his comedies, the plays were *awesome* to my 9th grade mind and is still amuse even now as an adult.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
Chibi^^Shiro

xP Like many former high school students, I just do not care. I hated being forced to read it and the book was on the Goodwill pile the second the school year was out. At least it fared better then "Things Fall Apart", a book I hate with all my essence. My best friend and I had a little cathartic book shredding at the end of the year for that one. >;3

Sure, call it a 'classic' and deride me for hating it (once again, general you, not *you*, Ratttking). There are many classics that people disagree on. I love Shakespeare, but I'm sure many of my other classmates hated it. No idea why, though. Once you learned how filthy Shakespeare could be, particularly in Romeo and Juliet and even more so in his comedies, the plays were *awesome* to my 9th grade mind and is still amuse even now as an adult.
The only book I was forced to read that I truly hated was The Scarlet Letter. I wish Hester Prynne had died a much more miserable death than she did. As with Salinger, I found many other works by Hawthorne appealing, but not his most famous novel.

I think the term "classic" is often misunderstood to mean "good ." While some "classics" may be judged so, others merely represent a particular style of writing, e.g. the Twilight series is a classic example of the worst style of young adult fiction. I dearly hope it is never required reading in any school, except perhaps alongside Bulwer-Lytton in a class devoted to avoiding common writing mistakes.

Liberal Fatcat

There was no doubt in my mind that 50 Shades was going to pop up somewhere in that article. xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff