Welcome to Gaia! ::

forwarded to me from a friend in the state of utah where the most unbelievable thing has happened

A MOTHER THREW AWAY A NEWBORN BABY and the baby may now die
from what i understand the state of utah has a safe haven law where mothers can just give up there baby without question and not face criminal charges
so why do this to a newborn baby? its just sick and sad

link here with video from fox news here

FULL STORY BELOW

KEARNS, Utah – Authorities are investigating after a newborn girl was found in a garbage can at a Kearns home Tuesday morning.

Det. Jared Richardson said medical crews determined the infant girl was born over the weekend and the mother put the 3-day-old girl in the garbage Tuesday at about 6 a.m. before going to work. Kearns mother baby garbage walk

Officials said the girl was in the garbage can for about an hour but she was not fed for the last three days.

She is in critical condition and is said to be
worsening.

The mother is being evaluated at the hospital.

Crews said the garbage can belonged to the next-door neighbor near 5300 S. and 5200 W.

Neighbors said they heard a noise coming from the can and thought it was a kitten at first before finding the newborn.

Officials said the mother is 24 and they do not believe she has any other children.

Police have not confirmed any information on the child’s father at this time.

There is a safe place for newborns. No Questions. No Police. utahsafehaven.org http://t.co/29TzJlUstE—
Utah Safe Haven (@UtahNewborn) August 08, 2014

Help is available for all newborns and mothers with Utah’s Newborn Safe Haven law.

In May 2001, a state-wide law went into effect in Utah allowing birth parents to anonymously give up custody of their newborn child without facing any legal consequences.

You can leave your baby, up to 3 days old, with an employee on duty at any hospital emergency room, open 24 hours 7 days a week, in Utah.

The Utah Newborn Safe Haven has a toll-free hotline (1-866-458-0058 ) available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Find out more about Utah’s Safe Haven Law here

kennymap's Wife

Lunatic

Honestly, this happens more often than you think. Unfortunately. Many times it doesn't even make it on the news. My location has had at least 3 of these cases on the news in the last 4-6 months. Mostly it's just been of people leaving their infants, toddlers, children and pets in cars while they go shopping or get high at a friends house. Most of these cases, the younglings don't make it, nor do the pets. Unfortunately, that's becoming very, very common these days.
Xiskii
Honestly, this happens more often than you think. Unfortunately. Many times it doesn't even make it on the news. My location has had at least 3 of these cases on the news in the last 4-6 months. Mostly it's just been of people leaving their infants, toddlers, children and pets in cars while they go shopping or get high at a friends house. Most of these cases, the younglings don't make it, nor do the pets. Unfortunately, that's becoming very, very common these days.

but its still sad and with the safe haven law its like i dont understand why they dont use it, not all places have a law like this and to me its like why not just leave the baby at a hospital or other safe place it just doesnt make sense to me

kennymap's Wife

Lunatic

N1T30WL-XIII
Xiskii

but its still sad and with the safe haven law its like i dont understand why they dont use it, not all places have a law like this and to me its like why not just leave the baby at a hospital or other safe place it just doesnt make sense to me

Never will make sense. Even at 24, you can still have the mindset of a child. You can be highly paranoid because even though there is a law that claims to protect you, there are always loopholes. Then you have the people that may not even know of this law. So it results in people making bad decisions.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
If the baby dies, can they change the mother with murder? I mean she's already charged with child endangerment/abandonment, so if the poor darling passes, then some charges need to be brought up against her besides the ones she's already charged with.

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
Reiko Iwamaru
If the baby dies, can they change the mother with murder? I mean she's already charged with child endangerment/abandonment, so if the poor darling passes, then some charges need to be brought up against her besides the ones she's already charged with.
Yep they can charge her with 1st degree Murder. She may get a lesser sentence if she admit guilt and what other conditions they set aside for her.
Reiko Iwamaru

Take this c**t out back and put a bullet in her ******** head. Same for those ******** that they have found in bars, smoking dope with their buddies or giving a b*****b to someone in a different car while leaving their kids in a car.
They're wasting oxygen and should be removed from the gene pool.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Imogene_Agape_Weasley
Reiko Iwamaru
Yep they can charge her with 1st degree Murder. She may get a lesser sentence if she admit guilt and what other conditions they set aside for her.

That's sweet!

Though it all depends in court if she pleas guilty or not guilty. If she pleas not guilty, I'm gonna face ground.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru

Take this c**t out back and put a bullet in her ******** head. Same for those ******** that they have found in bars, smoking dope with their buddies or giving a b*****b to someone in a different car while leaving their kids in a car.

I agree! Though it depends on the court for what they give her. :/ In this case, I hope she gets a lengthy one.
Reiko Iwamaru
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru

I agree! Though it depends on the court for what they give her. :/ In this case, I hope she gets a lengthy one.

Too bad they can't enforce sterilization as part of the sentence.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru

I know right? Real shame... :/

Versatile Noob

6,000 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
Xiskii
N1T30WL-XIII
Xiskii

Never will make sense. Even at 24, you can still have the mindset of a child. You can be highly paranoid because even though there is a law that claims to protect you, there are always loopholes. Then you have the people that may not even know of this law. So it results in people making bad decisions.

Yeah this sounds like sheer ignorance. The sad fact is there are people older than the woman who would still do the insanely inhumane thing as leave an infant unable to care for itsself in the garbage to die. Lack of logic is infuriating- even if you don't have much education- you have to at least have heard of shows like CSI etc where they can figure stuff out. I'm trying to think what the @$#% could have been going through that idiot's mind when they left that kid in the garbage and it's sickening.

(Yay for liking animals and not having kids! animals are more humane >< /endanimalloverplug )

Versatile Noob

6,000 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru

you echo what many people think, I'm afraid- but it's such a horrible slippery slope (that we're approaching anyways I think) Some people seriously should be microchipped or something >_<;; they behave worse than wild animals and wild animals at least make sense crying

kennymap's Wife

Lunatic

The End`
Xiskii
N1T30WL-XIII
Xiskii

Yeah this sounds like sheer ignorance. The sad fact is there are people older than the woman who would still do the insanely inhumane thing as leave an infant unable to care for itsself in the garbage to die. Lack of logic is infuriating- even if you don't have much education- you have to at least have heard of shows like CSI etc where they can figure stuff out. I'm trying to think what the @$#% could have been going through that idiot's mind when they left that kid in the garbage and it's sickening.

(Yay for liking animals and not having kids! animals are more humane >< /endanimalloverplug )

Yeah, just about anyone has seen CSI, SVU, etc. And if you bother to pay attention, it shows you what these people are literally thinking when s**t like this goes down. I can't tell you how many episodes there are in SVU where young girls leave their babies alone in dumpsters or on door steps. Or they bury the baby because the boyfriend killed the child and they think because they're dating the skum, they'll get in trouble too but little do/did they know, they now get in trouble for covering up the incident. However, in many cases, the mother is STILL charged for something, even if there is no solid proof she had involvement in it. [Had a case on the news recently about something like this. Mother was at WORK while it happened and she was still charged with neglect, all because she left the child with the BF. How are you supposed to know for a 100% fact that they'll hurt the child? Like common...]

Sure, it may be "pure ignorance" but do you honestly think the US is known for informing people of anything? Hell, the US is trying to do anything they can to take rights away. Want an abortion? Nope. Want birth control pills? Nope. Want your kids to learn about safe sex in school? Lol sorry, you're s**t out of luck. Want a clinic willing to give you proper information, condoms, free birth control pills, help with abortion and even adoptions, free medical exams, etc? Naaaaaah. We're gonna take that away too! You honestly think any state in the US is going to make sure you know the laws that actually protect and help you?

If everyone was properly informed, almost no one would make an idiotic decision. But we're not. In fact, I had no idea any state in the US had a law that allows you to drop off a 3 day old infant without any consequence, so long as the child has been well cared for and is free from injury. If my state has it, I certainly haven't been informed of it and I probably never would.

But let's keep in mind, in no way am I saying what she did is okay. My initial statement is it happens. A lot. More often than anyone would care to think. And everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. Does it make it right or okay? Absolutely not. But not everyone is as pleasantly informed as others. We also have no real information on the mother, other than the fact she's 24 and has no other kids. She could be completely mentally unstable. Who knows. She could be a rape victim and not even be thinking properly. I don't condone what she did, but I'm not gonna go all "FIRE UP THE PITCH FORK AND BURN THE b***h" @-@

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru
Old Blue Collar Joe
Reiko Iwamaru

No but a judge can offer that as one of thing that needs to be done for a lesser sentence. Instead of 12 years in prison plus 3 probation plus a fines to 5 years in prison, Fines, and sterilization.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff