Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The baby dolphin had somehow become separated from its pod and washed onto shore at a remote beach near Sleaford, in South Australia.

The other dolphins lingered in the gentle surf, seemingly concerned about the newborn.

The newborn dolphin, however, was stranded, and almost certainly would have perished had Andy and Jo Wright not glanced back toward the beach and hurried to the rescue.

The husband and wife had walked down to the beach to observe the pod as it swam along the shore. Andy spotted the calf while walking back up a dirt path toward the couple’s car.

The young mammal, which looked to be about a week old, had apparently become disoriented in the shallow water.

“I quickly threw my wetsuit on, my wife grabbed the camera and we ran onto the beach,” Wright told the Port Lincoln Times.

Wright picked up the calf and carried it into shallow water, pointed it toward sea and let go. But the dolphin quickly became beached again.

While this was happening the pod was loitering in the waves. Dolphins are highly social and older animals are known to be caring and attentive to younger pod members.

On the second attempt, however, the dolphin swam to sea and reached pod. Presumably, it rejoined its mother.

Said Wright, who is from the western city of Port Lincoln: “I’ve been surfing on West Coast for 30 years and I’ve seen plenty of dolphins before, but I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Hopefully, for the calf’s sake, there will be no more trips to the beach.

That's a little bigger than my dachshund

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Damn, Whitey, how big is your Dachshund? mrgreen

I hope he didn't get into trouble for helping the little guy, some places have weird laws about touching marine mammals.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
watch where you place your hands there, buddy.. gonk

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking

I hope he didn't get into trouble for helping the little guy, some places have weird laws about touching marine mammals.

Standard 16-30, Mini suppose to less than 12lbs, kaninchen 8-11 (restrictive group)

Well the one I was thinking is a little more than 12 lbs. Her daughters are dinky, small, petite less than 10 lbs. Newborn dolphins are about 20 lbs.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking

Standard 16-30, Mini suppose to less than 12lbs, kaninchen 8-11 (restrictive group)

Well the one I was thinking is a little more than 12 lbs. Her daughters are dinky, small, petite less than 10 lbs. Newborn dolphins are about 20 lbs.
OK, I guess I've seen mostly minis. There was an incredibly tiny - maybe 6-7 lbs - long-haired Dachshund at a dog park I used to live by, but he thought he was the biggest dog there. 3nodding

I guess the Kaninchens are too small to hunt badgers and that's why they specialize in rabbits? Wonder if they'll ever decide they are a separate breed.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking

OK, I guess I've seen mostly minis. There was an incredibly tiny - maybe 6-7 lbs - long-haired Dachshund at a dog park I used to live by, but he thought he was the biggest dog there. 3nodding

I guess the Kaninchens are too small to hunt badgers and that's why they specialize in rabbits? Wonder if they'll ever decide they are a separate breed.
Maybe seeing how they are very restrictive. Not sure if it's true or not I'll have to look it up but they say kaninchen must be german born.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking

Maybe seeing how they are very restrictive. Not sure if it's true or not I'll have to look it up but they say kaninchen must be german born.
Huh, that would be weird, like saying a Chesapeake Bay Retriever has to come from Maryland or Virginia.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking

Huh, that would be weird, like saying a Chesapeake Bay Retriever has to come from Maryland or Virginia.
Found it! It on the basis of FCI standards and Germany and few other countries have those standards. Japan Is working on FCI standards. We don't have it. We have AKC standards that only recognizes two groups.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff