Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Every 30 minutes a woman in India is raped and many never see justice because they are too fearful to report their attackers to a corrupt police force.

But a new innovation may soon change that.

The police in India are notoriously understaffed, underpaid and untrained to handle crimes against women, The New York Times reported last January.

Since their compensation is meager, many officers often rely on bribes and pay little attention to victims who don’t have political connections.

Realizing the need for women in India to be able to securely and confidently report crimes that have been waged against them, Odisha police officer Joydeep Nayak invented the Instant Complaint Logging Internet Kiosk (iClik). The device is modeled after an ATM’s design and allows users to log a complaint to the police in a similar fashion to the way they would take out money, according to India Today.

Users can file a complaint in one of three ways. They can manually type their issue onto the machine, speak into the machine or submit a written statement.

Critics say that this may add an undue step in the reporting process, but advocates say that women simply will likely not reveal the crime otherwise.

"Women dread going into an all-male police station," Lopamudra Baxipatra, head of the local Women's Commission, told the Sydney Morning Herald. "It's not just that it is intimidating, but they have heard of women being assaulted in police custody. They come to me with complaints but when I tell them to go to the police, they refuse."

ATM Enables Indian Women To Report Rape Without Fear Of Backlash

Wintry Dragon

Maybe it could dispense a pill after a successful submission?

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm not sure how this will help if the police force is corrupt, understaffed, underpaid and untrained. confused

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
How does this help in collecting evidence so that the charges stick and the rapist is dealt with? Why not put the money into weeding out the corruption in the police force and training officers to do their damn job? I mean, this is nice and all, but won't the police just ignored the reports and not do anything unless they get paid under the table to do it? Can they even do much without some evidence, or talking to these women? A lot goes into any criminal investigation, even just making the report. Can they be trusted to follow up on these reports? I'm dubious about this actually being very helpful...

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I don't get it. Won't these reports still be routed through the police anyway?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff