Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Smoker

Interitum
That specific group of Atheist sound like a butthurt crybaby and those Christians sound like ignorant hillbillys. I think this story portrays both groups in a hilariously stereotypical fashion. Why try to sue to get the ten commandments taken away? Do they honestly feel that threatened by Christians? I myself am a Christian and I have no problems with people of other beliefs.

Exactly, this guy gets it.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
That specific group of Atheist sound like a butthurt crybaby and those Christians sound like ignorant hillbillys. I think this story portrays both groups in a hilariously stereotypical fashion. Why try to sue to get the ten commandments taken away? Do they honestly feel that threatened by Christians? I myself am a Christian and I have no problems with people of other beliefs.

Dangerous Smoker

I gotta throw in my two cents on this one...

I'm atheist, but I don't make a big deal about it. Why?
I have no religion, thusly I don't care. I don't mind christians, they built some pretty buildings in my hometown and you can hear the bells in the afternoon. It's beautiful. I have personally never been seriously threatened by a christian telling me that I'm going to hell. Not once. The only time this would happen, they do it out of a legitimate concern for me.

The ten commandments are an ancient symbol of law. It's religious in it's origins, yes, but it's as much a symbol as the scales of justice or the star and shield on police badges.

A few people with way too much time on their hands made a huge stink about a statue of stone tablets. This also happens to be secluded to a swampy hole full of christians who wouldn't get offended. Like they said, out-of-towners came to their town and told them what to do. I'd be mad too!

Make fun of them, call them hicks. They probably are, complete with banjos and bad beer. But their gripe is legitimate and fair. Why do a bunch of folks from New Jersey have to go down there to make such a bold statement?

Don't tell me it's because it's on government land. That's like saying you need to paint all the monuments in Washington in striped patterns of black, yellow, and red, because their current color cou'd be interpreted as offensive to minorities. Preposterous, right?

So why haven't the jews, moslems, and khorne-worshippers gathered up brick and morter to make monuments of their own? Because, like me, they have better s**t to do than complain over a hillbilly's courtroom several states away.

These atheists need to get a life.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Commissar Hark
Nobody deserves that. Not even Hitler.

Shame on you.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dangerous Smoker

Faustine Liem
Alexander J Luthor
If rick rolling had existed in the days of Jesus and his disciples he would have been famous for dragging people into the deep part of the river and giving them to the crocs.

I actually like the song.
They would feed them to really lame shoes? Oh wait.. the animal. Hmmm, I think the punishment should be to subjected to all Justin Bieber, one direction, lil wayne, and nickleback songs for all eternity.
AT THE SAME TIME. twisted *evil laughter*

Nobody deserves that. Not even Hitler.

Shame on you.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Ratttking
A monument to atheism featuring verses from the Bible, LMAO.

Yeaaaah. Doesn't that undercut the message they're trying to present? "We're expressing our right to be non-religious by quoting a religious text we don't believe in!"

I believe the point of it was to show the hypocrisy surrounding those who follow the bible and completely back the 10 commandments, but don't want to take god's punishments because, apparently, five years for a Christian who committed vehicular manslaughter while drunk is a much more fitting punishment than stoning to death. But never mind the gays. They deserve to be burned alive for being gay.

I love the founding fathers quotes.

But that's not really a monument *to* atheism. It's more of a "******** YOU CHRISTIANS" monument. Which I don't think should really have a place in front of a courthouse. I actually like the Founding Fathers quote, and think if they had stuck to that, the bench/statue would have been more poignant. But instead this all comes across as, as Memories pointed out, butthurt.

True, but I still see it more as a slap to the face instead of butthurt. Regardless of what a person as done, you're more likely to be lenient toward someone who shares your faith, which is why it's so important for judges to be impartial, which very few are. Did you know that, unless there's an internal investigation, the only one who can declare a judge impartial is himself? If the prosecution or defense disagrees they can be jailed on the charge of contempt.

I agree with the idea of being impartial, though I don't find it as likely as you seem to about being more lenient towards someone who shares your religion. It distresses me how frequently I come across examples of Christians behaving in repugnant ways and I feel even more contempt for them because they claim to be of the same religion as I am.

And I call it 'butthurt' because this group has a long history of trying to get the 10 commandments monument removed. But since they can't now they're just setting up their stone "******** you religion", and putting others on the defensive. They could have left it as being a monument to atheism and impartiality, but they didn't, and it comes across as petty whining.
I'll give you that.

I hate it when people try to act better than they are, and everyone around them KNOWS they're a pile of crap. These people are why we can't have nice things.

Feral Nymph

Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Ratttking

Yeaaaah. Doesn't that undercut the message they're trying to present? "We're expressing our right to be non-religious by quoting a religious text we don't believe in!"

I believe the point of it was to show the hypocrisy surrounding those who follow the bible and completely back the 10 commandments, but don't want to take god's punishments because, apparently, five years for a Christian who committed vehicular manslaughter while drunk is a much more fitting punishment than stoning to death. But never mind the gays. They deserve to be burned alive for being gay.

But that's not really a monument *to* atheism. It's more of a "******** YOU CHRISTIANS" monument. Which I don't think should really have a place in front of a courthouse. I actually like the Founding Fathers quote, and think if they had stuck to that, the bench/statue would have been more poignant. But instead this all comes across as, as Memories pointed out, butthurt.

True, but I still see it more as a slap to the face instead of butthurt. Regardless of what a person as done, you're more likely to be lenient toward someone who shares your faith, which is why it's so important for judges to be impartial, which very few are. Did you know that, unless there's an internal investigation, the only one who can declare a judge impartial is himself? If the prosecution or defense disagrees they can be jailed on the charge of contempt.

I agree with the idea of being impartial, though I don't find it as likely as you seem to about being more lenient towards someone who shares your religion. It distresses me how frequently I come across examples of Christians behaving in repugnant ways and I feel even more contempt for them because they claim to be of the same religion as I am.

And I call it 'butthurt' because this group has a long history of trying to get the 10 commandments monument removed. But since they can't now they're just setting up their stone "******** you religion", and putting others on the defensive. They could have left it as being a monument to atheism and impartiality, but they didn't, and it comes across as petty whining.

Shameless Fairy

My only issue with wanting your own monument in Florida, is that the people who had a problem with the monument weren't from there. You kicked up a fuss and got a monument built in a state that you live over a day's drive from? I mean, if you drive passed it on your way to work everyday I could see that chapping your a** a little bit, but when would the people who truely had a problem with the original monument have to be subjected to seeing it?

And, a monument to non belief to me seems... counterintuitive (sp?).

So... Athiests will be making pilgramages to Florida to look at their monument. I can't help but giggle. It's a cutting off the nose to spite the face. Eep.

BTW - Just to clarify, I do believe in GOD and Jesus, but the modern church is ridonkulous.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Ratttking

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Socil
Product_of_Boredom
Socil
"We reject outsiders coming to Florida — especially from outside what we refer to as the Bible Belt — and trying to remake us in their own image," said Michael Tubbs, state chairman of the Florida League of the South. "We do feel like it's a stick in the eye to the Christian people of Florida to have these outsiders come down here with their money and their leadership and promote their outside values here."

No offense but this guy sounds whack. Outsiders? Aren't we all Americans and people of the same country?

He sounds like he's a native about to be westernized by colonists rofl

I know, right?
At first when I clicked on this, I was rolling my eyes and thinking it was dumb that people felt the need to have a monument to the absence of religion.... but this makes me think otherwise. Seriously, this guy thinks he's living in some kind of separate, Christian extremest micronation. It's scary that some people think this way.

Thinking about it it's not surprising that some people from the south actually want their state to secede from the US LOL.
Dummies will be dumb though.[/quote
Back during the cold war there were so many nuclear weapons stored in my state that, if we actually isolated ourselves and seceded from the U.S. we would have been the third most powerful country in the world. The poooooooooweeeeeer.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Faustine Liem
Alexander J Luthor
If rick rolling had existed in the days of Jesus and his disciples he would have been famous for dragging people into the deep part of the river and giving them to the crocs.

I actually like the song.
They would feed them to really lame shoes? Oh wait.. the animal. Hmmm, I think the punishment should be to subjected to all Justin Bieber, one direction, lil wayne, and nickleback songs for all eternity.
AT THE SAME TIME. twisted *evil laughter*

Controversial because I like some of Nickelback. >.>;

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
SoNe2NaSTy
Ratttking
It seems that the president of the little atheist group mainly hates Christians, because he claims to support any other religion that wants to put up a monument to its faith in a free-speech zone. I wonder if he would back a Jewish organization who wanted to put up a 10 Commandments statue.

Guess he wants to see other religious monuments other than the christian kind. He must have been scorned sometime or another
Which is why I asked if he would support a Jewish-sponsored monument to the 10 Commandments. Judaism is not Christianity, but it is obvious that Christians derive their faith from some of the same books as the Jews. Or is he afraid to express his scorn for Judaism for fear of being labelled anti-Semitic?

Anyone else notice how with all the other religions it's race, then religion. With Jews it's religion, then race. Jews are the only ones who are recognized as Jews before whatever their skin color or home country is. And it seems to be a "once a Jew, always a Jew" mentality. We don't do it to anyone else, why them? Because of the holocaust? There's no specific word for someone who hates Muslims, or Christians, or Pagans of any religion.
I'm not positive, but it's not unlikely that Silverman himself was born Jewish based on his surname and it probably pisses him off no end that even though he is an atheist, people still consider him a Jew.

There are adjectives like anti-Muslim and anti-Christian but they don't seem to carry nearly the stigma that being labelled an anti-Semite does, and I can't think of a noun form of the terms. I can't think of a term for someone who specifically hates polytheists either.

All I know is the the hateful words for those who don't believe in the Abrahamic God or specifically Mohammad the prophet; heathen and infidel.

Feral Nymph

Alexander J Luthor
Pessimist
Ratttking

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

Keltoi Samurai
Socil
"We reject outsiders coming to Florida — especially from outside what we refer to as the Bible Belt — and trying to remake us in their own image," said Michael Tubbs, state chairman of the Florida League of the South. "We do feel like it's a stick in the eye to the Christian people of Florida to have these outsiders come down here with their money and their leadership and promote their outside values here."

No offense but this guy sounds whack. Outsiders? Aren't we all Americans and people of the same country?

States have their own cultures, and regions as distinct as the Deep South and the Northeast ( where the locals are usually called "Yankees" ) cannot be as simply summed up as "they're from the same country, therefore they are the same."

I mean, Hell, the burrows of New York all have their own distinct cultures and rivalries, so if two areas of one damn city are so different, then why would you expect two states in two different regions to be so similar?

Yeah, it's boroughs* ^_^

But that's mostly because each borough used to be its own individual county and/or city: NYC was originally just Manhattan and the Bronx, Brooklyn was its own city, and Queens and Staten Island were just very rural counties with small towns and villages. Then stuff happened and everything was combined into one big city that's really not a city so much as 5 counties thrown together. Even then the differences between them aren't really that distinct even though they can seem that way. The odd one out is Staten Island - most people here tend to wonder why it's even a part of NYC and people from SI have tried to secede a few times.

Friendly Regular

Socil
Product_of_Boredom
Socil

I know, right?
At first when I clicked on this, I was rolling my eyes and thinking it was dumb that people felt the need to have a monument to the absence of religion.... but this makes me think otherwise. Seriously, this guy thinks he's living in some kind of separate, Christian extremest micronation. It's scary that some people think this way.

Thinking about it it's not surprising that some people from the south actually want their state to secede from the US LOL.
Dummies will be dumb though.

Actually, I kind of understand that sentiment. I would love my own state to secede if that were possible- we grow the majority of the country's non-corn agriculture, are one of the most forward-thinking states, and could support ourselves financially if the rest of the US didn't drag us down. The problem is that that could never happen because the US army is just too big and menacing; they'd burn us to the ground.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff