Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Quote:
A Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives has a history of writing in support of slavery and the Confederacy, along with comparing Abraham Lincoln to Karl Marx.

State Rep. Loy Mauch (R-Bismarck) wrote a series of letters to the editor of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, defending slavery and attacking Lincoln, the Arkansas Times reports.

The revelations about Mauch's letters come days after it was reported that state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R-Jonesboro) wrote that slavery "may have been a blessing" in a 2010 book.

The Arkansas Republican Party has condemned Hubbard's comments, along with comments by Republican legislative candidate Charlie Fuqua, who advocated expelling Muslims from the United States.

Mauch, a first term legislator, wrote the letters starting in 2000. He has called Lincoln a "fake neurotic Northern war criminal" and said the 16th president committed "premeditated murder" on the Constitution. He called Lincoln and Civil War generals "Wehrmacht leaders" -- the name for the armed forces in Nazi Germany. He also praised his ancestors for standing up to "Northern aggression" and said the Confederate flag is "a symbol of Christian liberty vs. the new world order."

In two letters, Mauch wrote about the Bible and slavery. The Arkansas Times quotes from a letter Mauch wrote in 2009:

If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?

In 2010, it was reported that Mauch was a member of the Sons of Confederates Veterans and the League of the South, which has been described as a "neo-Confederacy" group advocating for second southern secession. Mauch was also reported to have chaired the western Arkansas chapter of the League of the South, which he downplayed as an honorary title. He also helped organize a 2004 conference calling for the removal of an Abraham Lincoln statue in Hot Springs, which included a keynote speech entitled "Homage to John Wilkes Booth."

The Huffington Post reached out to Mauch via telephone and email seeking comment but did not receive a response.

Mauch is retired from AT&T and lists on his state website that his hobbies include hunting, fishing, reading history and writing. He is currently vice chairman of the Children and Youth Subcommittee. On his campaign website he cites bills he's written on sewer, water and education issues.

source

Fashionable Hunter

Well. That was a fun read.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
The most horrible thing is that he's an elected representative and will probably be re-elected.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Slavery was not a bad thing in ancient times. Seriously. A slave was more like a member of the family you owned. It was almost nothing like the enslavement of African people in the U.S.A. s**t, the Israelites even had special rules about how to not mistreat slaves. This is why you don't see Paul and Jesus complaining about it.

Fashionable Hunter

Blood Valkyrie
Slavery was not a bad thing in ancient times. Seriously. A slave was more like a member of the family you owned. It was almost nothing like the enslavement of African people in the U.S.A. s**t, the Israelites even had special rules about how to not mistreat slaves. This is why you don't see Paul and Jesus complaining about it.

rofl

I'm trusting your judgment on this one, but that sentence is really funny.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie

rofl

I'm not joking. Being a slave was a socially acceptable position. Nobody thought you were less of a human because of it. Joseph was a slave in Egypt, even when he had his cushy government job with lots of political power he was still a slave until the day he died.

Fashionable Hunter

Blood Valkyrie
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie

rofl

I'm not joking. Being a slave was a socially acceptable position. Nobody thought you were less of a human because of it. Joseph was a slave in Egypt, even when he had his cushy government job with lots of political power he was still a slave until the day he died.

Oh yeah, I think I've heard that story. He was the one with the dream cloak/cape right? And the 7 years of opulence and 7 years of famine?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie

rofl

Oh yeah, I think I've heard that story. He was the one with the dream cloak/cape right? And the 7 years of opulence and 7 years of famine?

Yep!
My Old Testament professor told us that there were a king and queen of Egypt that were technically slaves to the previous king's family, but nobody cared because it wasn't a big deal. (citation needed lol)

Fashionable Hunter

Blood Valkyrie
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie
kakteed
Blood Valkyrie

rofl

Yep!
My Old Testament professor told us that there were a king and queen of Egypt that were technically slaves to the previous king's family, but nobody cared because it wasn't a big deal. (citation needed lol)

Word? That's awesome biggrin

Sparkly Lunatic

Why am I not surprised by the fact that this person is a Republican?

Fashionable Hunter

Smudged_Makeup
Why am I not surprised by the fact that this person is a Republican?

I'm surprised, kind of.

Old-time Republicans freed the slaves, yo.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Not defending slavery, BUT...the South probably wouldn't have prospered AT ALL without slavery. I wanna say cotton was our biggest export...so slavery built America, right or wrong.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
The most horrible thing is that he's an elected representative and will probably be re-elected.

THIS.
I was thinking, which is worse? That he thinks this way or that people know he thinks this way and elected him?
The south gonna rise again - herp derp!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Blood Valkyrie
emotion_facepalm What about the slave revolt led by Spartacus? If their lives as slaves were so great, why would 70,000 risk their lives to escape slavery? FYI, they failed and 6000 of the survivors were crucified.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ratttking
Blood Valkyrie
emotion_facepalm What about the slave revolt led by Spartacus? If their lives as slaves were so great, why would 70,000 risk their lives to escape slavery? FYI, they failed and 6000 of the survivors were crucified.

Sparta was notorious for being batshit insane. They were not a normal people. They regularly beat the s**t out of their own children.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff