Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.

Video

Really, just really? The government has gotten out of control...

Fashionable Hunter

That was...a really melodramatic video.

Good for the woman though.
kakteed

It should be dramatic. This is a person trying to help but the government is going to take legal action against her? We should be outraged! I'm proud she's a human willing to stand up for what's right. I honestly wish I knew how to make a petition properly to help her or do SOMETHING for her and the cause. I am personally open to suggestions on what we could do. I am personally SICK of the government over reaching it's limits I have been! But this, this is just ridiculous and needs public outcry! What next? Should it be illegal for me to give money to a homeless man because it's not taxed as an income for them?!

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
YahuShalum
kakteed

It should be dramatic. This is a person trying to help but the government is going to take legal action against her? We should be outraged! I'm proud she's a human willing to stand up for what's right. I honestly wish I knew how to make a petition properly to help her or do SOMETHING for her and the cause. I am personally open to suggestions on what we could do. I am personally SICK of the government over reaching it's limits I have been! But this, this is just ridiculous and needs public outcry! What next? Should it be illegal for me to give money to a homeless man because it's not taxed as an income for them?!

actually

Believe it or not

I heard that somewhere it is illegal to give a homeless person anything - I think I heard food?

And on topic
Why isn't the town government helping her? I think the town should rally. Maybe let her keep it in her garage? Or is that gonna be illegal too? I suppose the sign kept out front would be illegal even if she did have it in her garage.

Playful Guildswoman

YahuShalum
...Should it be illegal for me to give money to a homeless man because it's not taxed as an income for them?!

Anyone who barters and does not include it in their tax return is violating IRS rules....this was started to go after people who made major trades, like dental work for a boat - but - there is no lower limit, not even $50. If you let your kid and the neighbor kid trade toys and do not report it, you are therefore in violation.

You are probably legal in giving money to a homeless person, though you would not be able to document a claim for a deduction for a charitable donation. The homeless person might be in trouble, though, for tax evasion...if the amount collected went over a certain amount in the tax year. Although I've never heard of any such thing and think it's very unlikely. It is in such ways that laws are selectively enforced, especially when public agencies are understaffed.

EDIT: Oops - I have to use preview, had trouble with quoting there -

On the video (haven't watched yet) am thinking it is either harassment or a concern over food safety. My bid is for food safety as an excuse for harassment. Since it is Arizona and illegal immigration is a hot-button issue, real or assumed immigrants, legal or illegal (Latinos) might well be being targeted...

Going to have coffee before I post again... rolleyes

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Jesus ********' Christ Arizona! First you arrest people for giving away free water, now you ban giving food as well? That is the worst sort of consistency, being consistently awful.

Fashionable Hunter

jellykans
YahuShalum
kakteed
...Should it be illegal for me to give money to a homeless man because it's not taxed as an income for them?!

Anyone who barters and does not include it in their tax return is violating IRS rules....this was started to go after people who made major trades, like dental work for a boat - but - there is no lower limit, not even $50. If you let your kid and the neighbor kid trade toys and do not report it, you are therefore in violation.

You are probably legal in giving money to a homeless person, though you would not be able to document a claim for a deduction for a charitable donation. The homeless person might be in trouble, though, for tax evasion...if the amount collected went over a certain amount in the tax year. Although I've never heard of any such thing and think it's very unlikely. It is in such ways that laws are selectively enforced, especially when public agencies are understaffed.

I don't see where she's bartering anything. From the video, I got the impression that she buys groceries, makes food, and gives it away.

I don't even think she's after the tax deductible. And a lot of America doesn't pay any tax, for various reasons, one of which is being a homeless schizophrenic.

Playful Guildswoman

kakteed
jellykans
YahuShalum
kakteed

I don't see where she's bartering anything. From the video, I got the impression that she buys groceries, makes food, and gives it away.

I don't even think she's after the tax deductible. And a lot of America doesn't pay any tax, for various reasons, one of which is being a homeless schizophrenic.

You're right - my post was entirely a tangent. going to watch the video with my coffee - spent about 10 minutes editing that post, not awke yet. And it shows.

Fashionable Hunter

jellykans
kakteed
jellykans
YahuShalum
kakteed

You're right - my post was entirely a tangent. going to watch the video with my coffee - spent about 10 minutes editing that post, not awke yet. And it shows.

xd Get a little whisky into it too.

Playful Guildswoman

Ratttking
Jesus ********' Christ Arizona! First you arrest people for giving away free water, now you ban giving food as well? That is the worst sort of consistency, being consistently awful.

What she said.

Playful Guildswoman

kakteed
jellykans

Oh, no, you don't want to see that - turns into no 'off' switch and a ton of attitude - been there, done that.

Fashionable Hunter

jellykans
kakteed
jellykans

Oh, no, you don't want to see that - turns into no 'off' switch and a ton of attitude - been there, done that.

Hahaha, it's so weird to me that people act differently after ingesting certain things. Coffee doesn't do anything for me except taste delicious, and whiskey doesn't do anything for me except make my face red and burn nicely on the way down. Putting them together just makes it taste delicious and burny on the way down, and the caffeine counteracts the lobster face.

Playful Guildswoman

YahuShalum
Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.

Video

Really, just really? The government has gotten out of control...

This is egregious. Way over the top. 7 years she has set things in her yard for several hours a day and now someone complained ... one person in 7 years. And now the code is being enforced.

This is selective enforcement, and it is the tangent I went off on in my first post, when half awake. Law is strange. It is often enforced on those least equipped to comply and entirely unenforced on those with power, simply through the weight of bureaucracy and poor management. When the will to selectively enforce law is present, it's even worse. How much of law is discretionary? Almost none of our public agencies are currently well-staffed. Our processes often stand in the way of fairness, and discretionary enforcement does not help one bit.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
I can't hear the video and it's not captioned, but I found a print story:

Glendale Woman's Fight for Food Bank

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
YahuShalum
kakteed

That would really be ridiculous. You're making a gift to the person, and you can give any person up to $13,000 in cash or gifts every year and it won't be income for them. So what's the problem with giving food to someone who's hungry? Good feelings from doing a good deed aren't taxable.

Barter is when you exchange goods or services for goods or services in return. It's treated the same as receiving money (clearly income) then purchasing something with the money. But giving something without getting anything of financial value in return is a gift. Same goes for receiving something of value that you aren't expected to give anything of financial value in return for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff