Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Detective Joe Delahoy
As a Christian, I was less offended that he brought up the anti-gay parts of the bible. I more mad that he said most of his stuff out of context. Yes, the bible states that homosexuality is a sin, but once the new testament times come into the picture, it is very clear that persecuting those who are gay is just a big a sin as actually being gay. Also, the rules about the woman who wasn't a virgin before she was married was all old testament. And anybody who's actually read the bible knows that things changed after the coming of the messiah. Also, if one were to read Romans, Paul makes it clear to love your fellow man, be he Jew, Gentile, clean or unclean. Instead of picking the easy target of the Bible isn't the answer to stop the misconceptions; it's going after the radical Christian groups that approve of manipulating the bible to say what they want, the same way Savage did.

tldr; Savage paraphrased so he could claim the bible is a gay-bashing fiction book, when it's actually quite the contrary.

Thank you!!! I too am a Christian. Being bashed about us not liking the gays doesn't bother me as much as calling the Bible bulls**t. I do not condone this word but i am just quoting what he said. Everything that he stated was before the time of Christ came. Back then they had different ways of practice for criminals and sin. Even as a Christian, I do have gay and lesbian friends. I hear them out on what they have to say but i also express my opinion. I don't push them into anything unless they ask me about my personal beliefs. I will stand up for those who walked out because they had the right to do so. Just as those in the gay community would have left if they where being bashed about what they believe, we as Christians are aloud to stand up for what we believe in too.

Interesting Detective

11,175 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
[Castration Pop]

So evangelicals who do the same thing are okay? Especially when they mean it in earnest to beat their fellow man to near death or bully them to a point that they kill themselves?

That's odd; I don't remember saying anything about evangelicals. What people seem to have a problem realizing is that just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules. It's not Christians > Nonbelievers. We're all under the same rules, no matter who we are.

In other words, no: An evangelical who twists the Word is just as bad as a nonbeliever who twists the Word. In fact, Those interlopers who try to persuade people by doing such a thing, especially if they claim to be Christians, are the people I despise more than all.

tldr; God doesn't hate homosexuals. False priests just say that for publicity. Like Savage.
Detective Joe Delahoy
[Castration Pop]

So evangelicals who do the same thing are okay? Especially when they mean it in earnest to beat their fellow man to near death or bully them to a point that they kill themselves?

That's odd; I don't remember saying anything about evangelicals. What people seem to have a problem realizing is that just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules. It's not Christians > Nonbelievers. We're all under the same rules, no matter who we are.

In other words, no: An evangelical who twists the Word is just as bad as a nonbeliever who twists the Word. In fact, Those interlopers who try to persuade people by doing such a thing, especially if they claim to be Christians, are the people I despise more than all.

tldr; God doesn't hate homosexuals. False priests just say that for publicity. Like Savage.

Savage is a hyperbolic mofo. My first brush with his work was him hoping that someone marry someone who comes out as a necrophiliac for having ditched a boyfriend who rubbed her feet after work because he had a foot fetish.

Honestly... I'm just tired of the whole "Gay people in the civil rights movement have to be better than everyone else" mentality. I mean we already feel like we're treated like second class citizens. We have kids bullied to a point where they kill themselves and their pleas for help are ignored. We have people beating young men and leaving them to die in a cold night, then getting lighter sentences because "They were so angry that they were hit on." And have right wing folks compare homosexual romance to beastiality and then run for president in 2012. Have people preach hate and bile and have it accepted as standard. And the moment that some gay rights activist returns the favor? ZOMG IT'S AN OUTRAGE!

I mean, being gay and engaging in these kinds of things, I feel like every time I act like a human being who gets angry at things like people dying for something so trivial, how it's me they're talking about and comparing to dog ********. How I can be fired for mentioning my boyfriend while straight relations can be heralded from the rooftops. And the moment I get irrational and reactionary and angry about it and a little bit hateful I'm the bad guy?

I'm not saying "ZOMG all Christian's are bad!" ******** no. I prayed to god last night thanking 'em for my job offer I got on friday. I have a St. Christopher Medal. There's a pair of virgin mary candles my mother has above the fireplace.
I'm saying that there's a very clear double standard with how gay people are supposed to be, and with how the right's supposed to be. And it kinda reinforces the whole "We're not equal" inferiority complex folks have.

I like Dan Savage. I've written to him for advice. I've been on his podcast. I know what he says isn't true. He knows what he says about Christians isn't always true. But you know what? It makes me feel just a little bit better that we've got someone who isn't afraid to lob the hate right back at the slimeballs, and give them a taste of their own medicine.
Exactly Detective Joe! There are a lot of false priest who go out and say that we should hate everyone who doesn't believe exactly what Christians believe. That in of it self is wrong. My Bible tells me to love my neighbors not "only the people who are Christians" because that is demeaning to our faith. That means also to love those who believe in gay and lesbian rights.

For me personally, I have also been labeled just because i say I am a Christian. But that goes for anyone who believe in something nowadays because thats what we have all come down to is putting labels on each other. And that is exactly what Savage was doing putting out another label and the way he put it was not helping the cause about bullying because he was in fact bullying those who were Christians in that room.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Kothlim
It woulda been better if he had anticipated the walk out and barred the doors from the outside. You can't expect to be a journalist, walk out in the middle of a speech because you don't like the content, and then report on it in the guise that your words are accurate. These kids need a new career path if they cant deal with a few harsh tones and discrimination about the bible. This isn't just straight bullying. This is fighting back against the ones who started it. Intolerance of intolerance. No, this is bad journalism in the making. Don't be a half assed, close minded journalist. Fox "News" has enough people working for them. America doesnt need more.

Yes. Let's encourage even more illegal activity by holding people against their will and preaching ideals that they do not believe at them.

I thought we left the Middle Ages.

It's not "a few harsh tones" it's being targeted for your religious beliefs. That's not right no matter what the belief is. I mean come on. We all make fun of the Westboro Baptist Church for showing up at funerals with the "You're Going to Hell" signs. So clearly the way we show those type of people that what they're doing is illogical and wrong is by mimicing the same behavior.

God Bless Amurrika.

Romantic Cat

13,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I Shall Grant You NoMercy
Lady Leopardess
I Shall Grant You NoMercy
Daphne Dono
I am proud of the teens that walked out, all he was doing was giving a hate speech and that is wrong.

Yes, because pointing out holes in Christianity is horrible and hateful and should never be done ever again.
neutral
It is horrible. You shouldn't go poking holes in anyone's beliefs. 90% of the time you will do nothing but aggravate the person or nothing productive will come of it.
People who do that are bullies plain and simple.

If it weren't for the loud internet and real life atheists who are convinced it's their job to talk down to everyone about their religion , I would have no opinion at all on atheist . Now after seeing some many atheists act like jerks my image of them is negative.

Here's my logic
You don't question my beliefs and I won't question yours or lack of it.

Oh, so were NOT supposed to have out own opinions, because you may get your feelings hurt?
Ah, that makes SO MUCH more sense now.
emotion_awesome
I"m not sure how you got that. However some opinions are best unshared especially those of the negative variety. Of course in situations where none of that group is present then it is more acceptable. It's also how you state your opinion.
Example
Good : I'm atheist because I don't believe what the bible says and I don't believe in something I can't see or prove.

Bad: I"m atheist because the Bible is full of crap and people are morons for believing in a nonexistant god .

Fashionable Sweetheart

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Clambake 200
bully is bad. and hell yeah in the bible there are lots of bullying stories.

Interesting Detective

11,175 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
[Castration Pop]
Detective Joe Delahoy
[Castration Pop]

Savage is a hyperbolic mofo. My first brush with his work was him hoping that someone marry someone who comes out as a necrophiliac for having ditched a boyfriend who rubbed her feet after work because he had a foot fetish.

Honestly... I'm just tired of the whole "Gay people in the civil rights movement have to be better than everyone else" mentality. I mean we already feel like we're treated like second class citizens. We have kids bullied to a point where they kill themselves and their pleas for help are ignored. We have people beating young men and leaving them to die in a cold night, then getting lighter sentences because "They were so angry that they were hit on." And have right wing folks compare homosexual romance to beastiality and then run for president in 2012. Have people preach hate and bile and have it accepted as standard. And the moment that some gay rights activist returns the favor? ZOMG IT'S AN OUTRAGE!

I mean, being gay and engaging in these kinds of things, I feel like every time I act like a human being who gets angry at things like people dying for something so trivial, how it's me they're talking about and comparing to dog ********. How I can be fired for mentioning my boyfriend while straight relations can be heralded from the rooftops. And the moment I get irrational and reactionary and angry about it and a little bit hateful I'm the bad guy?

I'm not saying "ZOMG all Christian's are bad!" ******** no. I prayed to god last night thanking 'em for my job offer I got on friday. I have a St. Christopher Medal. There's a pair of virgin mary candles my mother has above the fireplace.
I'm saying that there's a very clear double standard with how gay people are supposed to be, and with how the right's supposed to be. And it kinda reinforces the whole "We're not equal" inferiority complex folks have.

I like Dan Savage. I've written to him for advice. I've been on his podcast. I know what he says isn't true. He knows what he says about Christians isn't always true. But you know what? It makes me feel just a little bit better that we've got someone who isn't afraid to lob the hate right back at the slimeballs, and give them a taste of their own medicine.

I see what you mean, and I agree that gay people are treated horribly, and trust me, I hate it just as much as the next person. I've got alot of gay friends, and I value their friendships just as much as a straight one. And that's why I try to make it clear that Christians aren't supposed to do this ******** up stuff to gay people, even if the Bible says it's a sin. My religion makes it very clear that passing judgement is God's work, not ours.

But that's sort of off topic. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk, but I like to make it clear that a true Christian would never persecute another for their differences. Unfortunately, there's alot of corrupted assholes who give my people a bad name. Still, I defend what I believe in, just like you defend what you believe in. Savage brought up a good point that alot of interlopers like to use the Bible to justify terrible deeds, but his attack on Christianity as a whole was unjust and angry; in other words, he was pretty much engaging in bullying, which is pretty hypocritical.

But, I digress. I just wanted to make sure you know that not all of us are bad guys. I'm a by-the-book Christian, and I got your back, sir.
Detective Joe Delahoy
But, I digress. I just wanted to make sure you know that not all of us are bad guys. I'm a by-the-book Christian, and I got your back, sir.

Brofist.

Also... Dan Savage reponding to the incident.

Hallowed Hunter

How insecure are Christians that they get upset over the words of a single man.
After all the hurt that Christianity has dished out over the past millennium or two you'd think they could handle a few criticisms.

Lonely Friend

Well, I agree wholeheartedly with the guy, but I do believe that this was completely inappropriate for an anti-bullying rally.

You don't like being bullied, don't "anti-bully" by bullying those who bully you. THAT my dear is hypocrisy.
It's not fair nor reasonable to bash on anyone's beliefs when it comes to bullying. Bullying is an individual problem and you can't attack an entire group of people. I'm a Christian and I would never bully anyone. I'm not homophobic either.
Bullying is so much more than attacks on homosexuals, also. There are plenty of people being bullied that aren't gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trans. Not to mention the obvious- that not all bullies are of the Christian faith.
It's about time to stop looking for the culprit and stop pointing fingers as to who started it all; now is the time to start focusing on the victims. Bullying will unfortunately never go away, so all that's left to do is teach the victims of bulling how to handle the bullies. Teach them to build their confidence and so on. I know we're already working on that, but we're not making it the main focus.
Also... A Christian who even dares bully someone is "doing it wrong". Jesus told us to love one another, despite whatever faults.

Hallowed Hunter

Ivy Willowtree
Well, I agree wholeheartedly with the guy, but I do believe that this was completely inappropriate for an anti-bullying rally.

You don't like being bullied, don't "anti-bully" by bullying those who bully you. THAT my dear is hypocrisy.

Except he didn't. He criticized the contents of a book. Specifically stuff in said book that has -whether the nice Christians like it or not- let to severe bullying.

Hallowed Hunter

Kokoro Isabi
It's not fair nor reasonable to bash on anyone's beliefs when it comes to bullying. Bullying is an individual problem and you can't attack an entire group of people. I'm a Christian and I would never bully anyone. I'm not homophobic either.

He bashed the stuff in the bible about homosexuals and slavery. For him to have been bashing anyone's beliefs they would have to first have believed in those parts of the Bible. So unless you are a supporter of homophobia and slavery, he didn't say anything against you.
Besides bully is a consistent thing. Everyone gets insulted now and then. And we deal with it. And he didn't even attack anyone in particular.
Criticizing one of the largest religions in the world is NOT bullying. Not that he was even doing that.

Kokoro Isabi
Bullying is so much more than attacks on homosexuals, also. There are plenty of people being bullied that aren't gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trans. Not to mention the obvious- that not all bullies are of the Christian faith.

He never said there wasn't. The video simply stops after the part dealing with the bible.

Kokoro Isabi
It's about time to stop looking for the culprit and stop pointing fingers as to who started it all; now is the time to start focusing on the victims. Bullying will unfortunately never go away, so all that's left to do is teach the victims of bulling how to handle the bullies. Teach them to build their confidence and so on. I know we're already working on that, but we're not making it the main focus.

I agree with this, for the most part. Though we shouldn't stop looking at the bullies, I do think its more important to teach people how to stand up to them or just ignore them.

Kokoro Isabi
Also... A Christian who even dares bully someone is "doing it wrong". Jesus told us to love one another, despite whatever faults.

Every Christian believes their own interpretation to be the correct one. Who's to say that the ones who are homophobic aren't 'doing it right'. and you are the ones 'doing it wrong'?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff