Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are people intentionally ignoring the fact that we have almost nothing to worry about from ebola as it is hard to transmit and easy to detect?

Battle-ready Bibliophile

41,350 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Party Member 100
azulmagia
Anyone who'd like to see Ann Coulter contract Ebola, please raise your hand.
*Stands on her chair to get her hand higher*

Lonely Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Kaltros
BlackShadow03
...I don't think there ARE direct flights from the parts of Africa fighting Ebola to the US. Kind of can't ban something that doesn't exist. All flights would have to go through at least one other country first, and I doubt that the President wants to do a blanket ban on every country that can do flights to West Africa just to be sure.

They can restrict people who come from those countries, or who have been in those countries recently. There's usually a paper trail or other record of which countries people originate from, or have visited.

There is a paper trail, true. It's just a matter of if the US can gain unfettered access to travel records of non-US citizens and in a timely enough manner that they can be stopped BEFORE boarding the plane to our soil.

You might notice how unlikely that is.
Kaltros
Shama_okami
Are people intentionally ignoring the fact that we have almost nothing to worry about from ebola as it is hard to transmit and easy to detect?

Easy to detect once the symptoms get bad, but not before. And what do you mean hard to transmit? All it takes is one drop of infected blood or other substance on your skin to get infected. Which is why medical workers fully cover themselves when treating patients. One drop is all it takes.

Also worth noting: Sick patients give off a lot of infected particles. Sweat, blood, feces, urine, etc.

It isn't contagious until the symptoms show unlike, for example, the flu where you spread it before you feel anything.

The drop has to get in you. Just getting on your skin won't do it.

The thing that really confuses me about everyone panicking is that it's about a disease that has been transmitted like three times outside of africa and killed about 4000 while the seasonal flu kills tens of thousands every year in the US alone.
Kaltros
Shama_okami

The thing that really confuses me about everyone panicking is that it's about a disease that has been transmitted like three times outside of africa and killed about 4000 while the seasonal flu kills tens of thousands every year in the US alone.

It's the math. It can get out of hand fairly quickly. The CDC estimated that on current trends there could be around 1.4 million cases by January, when taking into account under-reporting and incomplete information. Reported cases are not ALL current cases. Ebola also has a much higher mortality rate than the common flu.

Again, the people who study this stuff for a living use the terms 'slow spreading' and 'easily contained.' That CDC estimate was their worst case scenario. The real number will almost certainly be nowhere near that.
Kaltros
Shama_okami
Kaltros
Shama_okami

It's the math. It can get out of hand fairly quickly. The CDC estimated that on current trends there could be around 1.4 million cases by January, when taking into account under-reporting and incomplete information. Reported cases are not ALL current cases. Ebola also has a much higher mortality rate than the common flu.

Again, the people who study this stuff for a living use the terms 'slow spreading' and 'easily contained.' That CDC estimate was their worst case scenario. The real number will almost certainly be nowhere near that.

Easily contained? This current outbreak is already something like three times the total number of known Ebola cases on record, since the disease was first discovered. And you seem to be assuming that Africa is as orderly and manageable as the First World. It isn't. Many Africans don't believe in the germ theory of disease. They attack health workers. And there are many other problems making it unlikely that this will be easily contained.

Arrogance in the face of a deadly disease is not a good idea. And who are these people who study the stuff? Got any names and/or links?

You're right. Clearly we should judge what is going to happen here by what happens in areas that seem determined to ignore things and believe you can evoke the disease by mentioning its name.
Kaltros

Arrogance in the face of a deadly disease is not a good idea. And who are these people who study the stuff? Got any names and/or links?

There's being arrogant in the face of a disease, then there's screaming in panic at people who were in countries THAT WEREN'T EVEN INFECTED just because they were on the SAME ******** CONTINENT.

Fer ******** sake man, people who just visited DALLAS are getting s**t on because of thinking like this!

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I like Ann. She says some crazy things sometimes but I don't see the problem with her talking about a travel ban....
Misty Moonsilver
I like Ann.

What exactly is likable about a pundit who publically threatens to murder people who don't vote her way? (which is ironic because she herself advocates for women to have voting rights removed).

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GSK Lives
Misty Moonsilver
I like Ann.

What exactly is likable about a pundit who publically threatens to murder people who don't vote her way? (which is ironic because she herself advocates for women to have voting rights removed).

I just said that I know she says some crazy things.....
And guess what, here we are talking about her. Think about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff