Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

A former Marine who wasn't allowed into an amusement park because he was wearing a shirt with a red, white and blue rifle pictured on it has been given an apology.

Mario Alejandro, who served four years in the U.S. Marine Corps, received a phone call from Six Flags Great Adventure President John Fitzgerald on Saturday apologizing, and he accepted, NJ.com reported

Alejandro, a father of three from Woodbridge, said he went to the park with his family on Aug. 9 wearing the shirt, which was a Father's Day gift and was bought from a nonprofit that supports Marines. He said a security guard told him the shirt, which included the phrase "Keep calm and return fire," was offensive and he had to change it or cover it if he wanted to go into the park, located in Jackson.

"I told them (that it's) not offensive, that it's a military shirt and that it means something," Alejandro said. "But they said, 'I don't care. Get out of the park.'"

A spokeswoman for the park, whose rides include the Nitro and Runaway Mine Train roller coasters, said it didn't realize Alejandro's shirt was related to a military charity, The Reconnaissance Foundation.

"Six Flags takes great pride in the various ways we honor, celebrate and support our military heroes," spokeswoman Kristin B. Siebeneicher said by email Monday.

Really now?

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Thats dumb.
Since when is a picture of a gun and a saying threatening or offensive? Did he have a gun on him? No. Then its nothing to worry about. Now if he had a gun i'd probably be a little worried.

Its almost as bad as suspending kids because he drew a picture of a gun...because a picture can do so much harm to someone. lol

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The park can set its own dress code: it doesn't violate the 1st Amendment because it isn't run by the gov. That said, yeah, the shirt could be offensive to some. It has a picture of a gun and encourages it to be fired when you are shot at, in short, it says to shoot a gun. I doubt that is a bit some (not all) parents might object to. It's good that the guy wasn't an a** about it and accepted the president's apology. Good on him for not blowing this out of proportion like that Tinkerbell tattoo lady... emotion_facepalm
They're just doing this to avoid the bad publicity. If it were anybody else then nothing would've happened. There wold be no apology whatsoever.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Pfffffft. What hoplophobes.

Ember Caster's Kouhai

Death Surgeon

48,850 Points
  • Academic Hero 500
  • Ultimate Alliance 500
  • Stone World 500
I'm glad that they apologized, but I feel they should of done more then that.

Wintry Dragon

Kaiser Khorosho
The park can set its own dress code: it doesn't violate the 1st Amendment because it isn't run by the gov. That said, yeah, the shirt could be offensive to some. It has a picture of a gun and encourages it to be fired when you are shot at, in short, it says to shoot a gun. I doubt that is a bit some (not all) parents might object to. It's good that the guy wasn't an a** about it and accepted the president's apology. Good on him for not blowing this out of proportion like that Tinkerbell tattoo lady... emotion_facepalm
Yes. It's nice to have level-headed people.
Oh gosh. I think I remember that tattoo story.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho

The one with Tinkerbell getting off with a lightswitch? Yeah...I wasn't on that lady's side at all. emotion_facepalm

Wintry Dragon

Kaiser Khorosho
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho

The one with Tinkerbell getting off with a lightswitch? Yeah...I wasn't on that lady's side at all. emotion_facepalm
She was, to put it nicely, not situationally-oriented.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Quote:
Clothing with rude, vulgar or offensive language or graphics is not permitted, and shirts cannot be turned inside-out as a solution.

Kinda leaves room to be really subjective from person to person if you ask me.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho

Oh god, I remember that story. Didn't she try to claim freedom of expression or something, and said they were discriminating?

Wintry Dragon

Alexander J Luthor
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho
A mali
Kaiser Khorosho

Oh god, I remember that story. Didn't she try to claim freedom of expression or something, and said they were discriminating?

Oh yes. gonk

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Kaiser Khorosho

I had not even heard about the Tinkerbell story.
Googled and found an article that I think includes the one you are referring to.
I can see where naked Tinkerbell masturbating on a light switch and sporting an 'O' face could be considered not exactly kid friendly.
As a drawing, it is somewhat amusing. As a permanent tattoo on my leg - well yeah, you kind of expect some folks to not be cool with it. Especially at places aimed at kids like Legoland.
http://themeparkuniversity.com/editorial/clothing-can-get-kicked-theme-park/

Sage Prophet

13,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
Usually these "Keep Calm and... something" are meant as tongue-in-cheek. So I don't think this was particularly offensive... unlike the Tinkerbell tattoo, which was intentionally provocative and in an inappropriate context xD

Sugary Cat

That's completely within the right of the amusement park. I wouldn't want a gun-loving yank in my amusement park, where there's probably also plenty of young kids.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff