Welcome to Gaia! ::

Americans Warned: Home-Schoolers Stripped of Rights

11:30AM EDT 4/29/2013 DALE HURD/CBN NEWS
http://www.charismanews.com/us/39278-americans-warned-homeschoolers-stripped-of-rights

Recently, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has said that homeschooling is not a parent's right. It is a statement some are saying should frighten American parents.

Nations like Germany and Sweden show that when governments take away homeschooling rights, it's a slippery slope to no parental rights.

America the Refuge or Not

The Romeike family came to the United States from Germany five years ago hoping to find refuge. They wanted to homeschool their children in freedom and a federal judge granted them asylum.

But now the Obama administration has been trying to deport them, arguing that homeschooling is not a right. The case is currently before a federal appeals court.

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike began homeschooling in Germany because they didn't want their children exposed to things like witchcraft and graphic sex education that are taught in German schools.

"There were stories where [school children] were encouraged to ask the devil for help instead of God and actually the devil would help (in the story)," Uwe said.

"When we found out what's in the textbooks, it's exactly the opposite from what the Bible tells us and teaches us, and we wanted to protect [our children]," his wife, Hannelore, added.

But homeschooling is illegal in Germany, except in rare cases. And many homeschooling parents are persecuted with fines, jail or the loss of their children.

Homeschoolers Going Into Exile?

Most homeschoolers in America are left alone. But what if state politicians and the federal government started to move against it?

Two of the worst nations for homeschoolers are Germany and Sweden. If you want to see what things might be like if homeschooling was banned in America, travel to Sweden, where the government controls education and the homeschooling movement has been crushed.

In fact, the head of the Swedish Homeschooling Association, Jonas Himmelstrand, had to take his family into exile. They fled to Finland.

"We're in exile. We were forced out of our country and that makes a stronger impact than I can imagine," he told CBN News. "This was our country. This was where we had our friends and business relationships and a whole lot of things and now we're pushed away from it."

Attorney Michael Donnelly, of the Homeschool Legal Defense Association, called the situation "incredible for a nation like Sweden that calls itself a free nation, a democracy, so to speak."

Ruby Harrold-Claesson, president of the Nordic Committee for Human Rights, went even further, branding Sweden a dictatorship where social workers tell parents what to do.

"Sweden claims to be a democracy but it's far from it. It's a dictatorship," he said. "You have the social workers dictating how people are to live. You're not supposed to be different. You're not supposed to be different from anyone else in Sweden. Everyone is supposed to be uniform. They want to have these cookie cutter children."

Claesson is also the lawyer representing Christer and Annie Johansson, who have lost custody of their son Domenic, because of homeschooling. After Domenic was abducted by Swedish officials, Annie's health began to fail.

Christer said the stress of the ordeal is killing his wife.

"If we cannot solve this issue soon, Domenic won't have a mother anymore," he said.

Russia, A Homeschooling Haven

Nations like Germany and Sweden could learn a thing or two about parent's rights from, of all places, Russia, which is one of the freest nations in which to homeschool.

"We have complete freedom of home education in Russia, in terms of legality," Pavel Parfentiev, a family rights advocate in Russia, said.

"The Russian Federation is sort of a champion of human rights in this particular area, so of course I think it is a good example for both Germany and Sweden where home educators are persecuted," he said.

Among the persecuted, German homeschooler Juergen Dudek has been taken to court every year for the past 10 years by the German Jugendamt, or Youth Office.

"The Youth Office, I used to call it the 'Gestapo for the Young.' As soon as they step in, as soon as they get hold of you, you've really got problems," Dudek said.

German homeschooler Dirk Wunderlich and his wife have lost custody of their children, although they are still allowed to live with them. He also told CBN News he expects to be sent to jail, but said he will never stop homeschooling.

"But I'm not afraid of this. I'm only sad for my family. I will go (to jail) laughing. You can do what you want but my children will not go to school," he said.

America Safe for Homeschoolers?

In America, a red flag went up earlier this year when the Justice Department argued in the Romeike case that homeschooling is not a fundamental human right.

A source close to the case said the White House cares more about relations with Germany than about a family seeking political asylum.

Asylum for the Romeikes might open a floodgate of refugees from Germany, further embarrassing the German government.

Uwe Roemike, who makes his living as a piano teacher, knows what to expect if they're deported.

"First they would fine us with increasingly higher fines and they would threaten to take away custody," he explained.

"There might be jail time, too, but the main threat is the aspect of custody because then, of course, the children are taken away from you completely and that's what no family wants," he said.

Uwe said the fact the White House would be willing to deny homeschooling freedom to his family, should make all American homeschoolers concerned.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Holder again? Why am I not surprised? emotion_eyebrow

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
This is a case about political asylum and that home schoolers is not a protected social group. If they wanted to home school their children so badly they should have gone to another EU nation to do so. Or Canada.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Most universities have never recognized qualifications from home schooling or self educated people and require self-educated or home schooled people to either take an entrance exam or a tertiary preparation course to gain admission based on those results.

Those with a high school diploma obtained by external studies at an academically accredited institution are generally seen an exception to this rule. but someone educated exclusively by their parents have no recognizable qualifications.

Time-traveling Senshi

Why is it every news source on this happens to be a Christian one and that big news source on this is the CBN? I don't see the AP or any other secular news source reporting this. So this makes me wonder how much of this is truth and how much of it is propaganda for the so called "War on Religion" they keep spouting out from the conservative Christian right. Besides, if people find that their children are incapable of handling a traditional in class environment because of learning issues or attention issues there are online public grade schools they can enroll their kids in that keep them out of the classroom but still within the public school system.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
The difference between Americans Homeschooling their kids and German Refuges in America homeschooling is that they are not US Citizens.

Now the wording that was used does make it dangerous, claiming it not to be a human right. Well I look at it as, if the US blocks homeschoolers, then I know several people that have illegitimate High school diplomas.

The only reason I can see a country blocking homeschooling is so that they can "teach" the children what the country wants them to know. Now in the US the public school avoid religion like the plague (as far as I know) but German public schools outright praying to the devil? That's a little overboard in my opinion.

I think that Homeschooling is a great alternative to public school as long as you like to isolate your children from the rest of the population. But seriously it should only be done if the Parent actually knows how to teach both in general and on the subjects, has the time to do so, and follows a curriculum to a "T". Otherwise pay a school to do the work.

Private school for the first couple years is a good way to get a good foundation If it can be afforded. I remember when I was in second grade I was doing 4th grade (by public school standards) work. They actually teach in Private schools. The reason I know was that when I was in 3rd grade I was moved to a public school and I found the work really easy. I breezed through all the way to 6th grade getting straight A's with little to no effort. Now one of the people I know that has a high school diploma from Homeschooling can hardly do simple algebra but has exceptional reading and history scores. He can do algebra if I personally show him how. but it is obvious his "teacher" was incapable of teaching math properly. This goes right along with what I said the paragraph before.
Chibi Halo
          Why is it every news source on this happens to be a Christian one and that big news source on this is the CBN? I don't see the AP or any other secular news source reporting this. So this makes me wonder how much of this is truth and how much of it is propaganda for the so called "War on Religion" they keep spouting out from the conservative Christian right. Besides, if people find that their children are incapable of handling a traditional in class environment because of learning issues or attention issues there are online public grade schools they can enroll their kids in that keep them out of the classroom but still within the public school system.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
This whole artical seems to be taking things a bit overboard... Also if you know you will get jail time and possible loss of custody of your children why bother taking that risk? Or maybe just move to another country to another country before you start homeschooling or I don't know, try the public schools! Since unless your child has learning disabilities the public schools should be fine.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chibi Halo

Here's an Associated Press article for you.

I don't know if Germany allows online schooling.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Tanini Tanini
Chibi Halo

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Funny, but I first saw it in a Washington Times article, and the AP story was the 3rd link on the page when I googled just now. What search term did you use that failed to provide a link to a secular source? I used "German homeschoolers."
I went to public school in kindergarten and elementary and middle school, but when high school came up I was home schooled.

But you see, right towards the end of middle school, teachers and the principal were treating me like s**t, and with all the hell going on in school... I think people need to leave home schooling alone. I love how people always think of christian families all the time when they think of home schooling, that isn't always the case.

Sugary Cat

Whenever I hear of parents homeschooling I kind feel sorry for the kid. Russia and the USA should forbid homeschooling just like the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden. These homeschooling laws in the USA and Russia are outdated.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Jeremy Kaji
The difference between Americans Homeschooling their kids and German Refuges in America homeschooling is that they are not US Citizens.

Now the wording that was used does make it dangerous, claiming it not to be a human right. Well I look at it as, if the US blocks homeschoolers, then I know several people that have illegitimate High school diplomas.

The only reason I can see a country blocking homeschooling is so that they can "teach" the children what the country wants them to know. Now in the US the public school avoid religion like the plague (as far as I know) but German public schools outright praying to the devil? That's a little overboard in my opinion.

I think that Homeschooling is a great alternative to public school as long as you like to isolate your children from the rest of the population. But seriously it should only be done if the Parent actually knows how to teach both in general and on the subjects, has the time to do so, and follows a curriculum to a "T". Otherwise pay a school to do the work.

Private school for the first couple years is a good way to get a good foundation If it can be afforded. I remember when I was in second grade I was doing 4th grade (by public school standards) work. They actually teach in Private schools. The reason I know was that when I was in 3rd grade I was moved to a public school and I found the work really easy. I breezed through all the way to 6th grade getting straight A's with little to no effort. Now one of the people I know that has a high school diploma from Homeschooling can hardly do simple algebra but has exceptional reading and history scores. He can do algebra if I personally show him how. but it is obvious his "teacher" was incapable of teaching math properly. This goes right along with what I said the paragraph before.
It takes seven years to become a citizen and they haven't been in the states long enough to legally become citizens

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
MiameMiame
Whenever I hear of parents homeschooling I kind feel sorry for the kid. Russia and the USA should forbid homeschooling just like the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden. These homeschooling laws in the USA and Russia are outdated.

Brilwen

So my 16 year old neice who is homeschooled and is playing cello, and piano (Even teaching her friends to play), is working on college level math, and spainish, and two others, and highschool level sujects, should be forced to go to school on her parents dime. She learning how to budget a checkbook, and cook. You believe she and her sibling should not to go on many trips to the FL Keys and CA during her father Doctors business (Event) trips and learn FL wild life first hand, Medical practice, CA cultural diveristy . Lets send them to school how to Lesiban kiss! She going to Boulder CO on trips with other homeschooling kids.

Her seven year old sister is doing things public school kids learn at age 10. She Drawing world flags, Saying their names properly and locating them on maps. most 10 year old can't do that much less spell them correctly. She learning small levels of cooking. She learning to sew pillows. She already on adding fractions. she on the piano.

You think all homeschool are being deprieved when they are not. They do at many time better than the kids in schools. My younger Cousin was removed from school because he was bullied because he was the only white boy in class in a room filled with Hispanic.

My Older cousin who that of mentally a 5th grade (special Ed) was removed from highschool because the class she was in had kids were snogging and that bothered her and were trying to come onto her. Is that okay?

What about kids with very bad allergies? Should he (in video) be threaten?

Or rare conditions? Like allergy to the cold.

What about other kids bullied? Not all towns have a second option of schools? Also Many school have issues where they hide it. Even teachers get in it.

and this one?

How about this?

Bully Tolerated by schools!

ears?

School is not for everyone. If I was didn't think about my few friends I would of Left. To this day I wish I did.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff