Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
This year, Barbie won't be the most popular holiday gift for the little girls of America. Nope, she's been shoved off the winner's podium by those spotlight-stealing bitches from Frozen.

BARBIE, GET YOUR LIFE TOGETHER!

That's according to a survey from the National Retail Federation. Bloomberg reports that when the D.C.-based trade group conducted its annual poll of 6,600 parents nationwide, around 20 percent planned to purchase Frozen dolls for their daughters. Barbie, meanwhile, clocked in at 17 percent. They've been doing the list for a decade and it's the first time the princess of pink hasn't taken the top spot.

This latest blow comes at the end of a long, dismal year for the doll, who now faces the additional indignity of competition from the "realistic" Lammily, who ships with optional cellulite and acne.

Of course Mattel sells both Frozen merch and Barbie for now, so the money ultimately all flows into the same coffers—but when 2016 rolls around, Hasbro gets the license.

America's Little Girls Demand Frozen Dolls, the Hell With Barbie

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
i saw the title & knew these 3 images belong here.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image
Not surprising at all, frozen is still so very,very popular.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
>America's little girls demand frozen dolls

*sticks a Barbie and other dolls in the freezer* emotion_awesome

Distinct Member

JamesWN

Thank you for making my night..

Frozen ism till a popular movie in my area.

I cannot even work without hearin let it go from their parents iPhone,or singing at the school when I pick up my kiddos.

5,350 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I would just get a picture cut out and place it in the box for my little cousins. Make it nice and wait to see what the reactions are. Hahaha.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Not surprised. If I was a little girl again, I would rather have the elsa doll over barbie. Because Elsa had ice powers, she was cooler. I think little girls like the unique fantasy dolls more over barbie as well. Like Tinkerbell and MLP.
Kids want sci-fi and super power role models! Which is awesome~ yay for magical girl power.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
in b4 Frozen/Barbie crossover.. gonk

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
JamesWN

I was thinking the same thing.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Little Dead Soldier
Not surprised. If I was a little girl again, I would rather have the elsa doll over barbie. Because Elsa had ice powers, she was cooler. I think little girls like the unique fantasy dolls more over barbie as well. Like Tinkerbell and MLP.
Kids want sci-fi and super power role models! Which is awesome~ yay for magical girl power.

User Image

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
PantheaMarlon
Little Dead Soldier

User Image

Now thats what Imma talkin' about! 3nodding
Magical girl power!

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Little Dead Soldier
PantheaMarlon
Little Dead Soldier

User Image

Now thats what Imma talkin' about! 3nodding
Magical girl power!

When I was little I really wanted these pretty sailor soldiers.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
1. Amused at this "girls want dolls" thread along side that other thread about "toys should not be targeted at either gender since boys and girls can play with what they want" thread.

2. This really isn't a surprise. Kids often want what is popular and "now" and the Frozen character is empowered, reasonably attractive and "now'. Next year it will probably be something else.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
From what I have heard the girls want Elsa because she is a woman who doesn't need a guy, is strong etc, whereas there was a book made in 2010 (takes some people a looooong time to figure this out doesn't it?) Called I Can Be A Computer Engineer where she basically doesn't do jack s**t except for designing a game, giving herself a virus on her sisters laptop and can't even reboot the computer properly all the while needing two guys' help in coding her game.

In other words, Barbie did jack s**t in a book SHE was meant to be the computer engineer of and also shows us what a computer engineer DOESN'T do even if she was incompetent and needed the guys' help and also shows she is sexist.

So yes, I can easily see why the girls this year want Elsa, popular or not, she IS a better doll.

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
Elsa is ruling a nation, sans a king. While she may not be the only queen, she's in the spotlight. I can't count how many times I've seen a stereotype scene with two kids playing..Johnny got to be king and order people around, while Jenny had to take care of the baby doll and fawn over johnny's ideas. It's done many different ways, but that's what it breaks down to. Even if those girls have no idea what gender stereotyping is, they see Elsa making the rules; not fawning over them.

I'd say that's the breaker. Barbie can't even play Vet apparently these days unless there's 'plasticisis' involved or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff