Welcome to Gaia! ::

How much more or less religious do the Gaia forums seem compared to face to face interactions?

Way Less Religious 0.16049382716049 16.0% [ 13 ]
Slightly Less Religious 0.16049382716049 16.0% [ 13 ]
Neither More or Less Religious 0.12345679012346 12.3% [ 10 ]
Slightly More Religious 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Way More Religious 0.098765432098765 9.9% [ 8 ]
What is religious? 0.012345679012346 1.2% [ 1 ]
What are Gaia forums? 0.024691358024691 2.5% [ 2 ]
EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR BELIEFS OR DISBELIEFS-I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF IT!!!! 0.12345679012346 12.3% [ 10 ]
I don't think about or take notice really 0.20987654320988 21.0% [ 17 ]
Gold!! 0.08641975308642 8.6% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 81 ]
1 2 3 >

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
America's Less Religious: Study Blames Internet (from NPR) The links I inserted were in the original article-seemed easy to put them in since they omitted the words where the links were originally and I had to retrieve those words anyways. I posted this study not because I totally buy it as accurate but because it prompts a meta-view of the internet community looking and thinking about itself.
NPR
America is less religious than ever before. The number of Americans who reported no religious affiliation has been growing rapidly, doubling since 1990. That kind of rapid change matches another societal trend — growth in Internet use. The percentage of Americans who say they used the Internet went from nearly zero in 1990 to 87 percent this year. Now, a detailed data analysis finds the two trends aren't just related, but that wider Internet use may actually be leading us to lose our religion.

Knowing that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, computer scientist Allen Downey, who teaches at Massachusetts' Olin College of Engineering, set out to further analyze religious disaffiliation.

His statistical analysis asked which variables were factors in our religious disaffiliation, and to what degree. The model found a causal relationship among three factors — a drop in religious upbringing, an increase in college-level education and the increase in Internet use — that together explain about 50 percent of the drop in religious affiliation. Of those, increased Internet use alone can account for about 20 percent of the decline.

The technique Downey used to establish causality is a form of statistical modeling called logistic regression, which lets you look at multiple variables and find which ones are predictive. Downey ran a regression controlling for all the other possible explanations of the religious affiliation drop (like income, home region) and wound up with notably strong associations among the three factors of upbringing, education and Internet use.

The MIT Technology Review dives deeper (quote & link within article):
MIT Technology Review

"There is another possibility, of course: that a third unidentified factor causes both increased Internet use and religious disaffiliation. But Downey discounts this possibility. ...

"If this third factor exists, it must have specific characteristics. It would have to be something new that was increasing in prevalence during the 1990s and 2000s, just like the Internet. 'It is hard to imagine what that factor might be,' says Downey.

"That leaves him in little doubt that his conclusion is reasonable. 'Internet use decreases the chance of religious affiliation,' he says."

The responses to his conclusion have ranged, Downey tells NPR, from "Well, duh," to outright dismissal.

"So far I haven't seen anything that is a serious contradiction," Downey says. And he reminds us that while the three factors of education, upbringing and the Internet can explain only half the drop in religious affiliation, no single factors explain the other 50 percent of the drop.

"So the challenge now is, great, show me the data to prove other associations," Downey says.

As for what this drop means for the future, Downey predicts the most likely changes between now and 2040 are that the percentage of people without a religious preference reach 25 percent. More predictions based on his data analysis are on Downey's blog.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I blame asparagus. And canned spinach.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
JamesWN
That is an interesting idea. How do you know it is not frozen spinach and definitely the canned?

off topic I misread asparagus as asperger's at first and thought that could make for a super bizarre conspiracy for some religious anti-vaxxers

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I wonder how much of this is because of honest beifs and how much of this is being trendy. That said, I was an atheist before I hit the net.

I'd say undefined factors in this study include;
More extreme blowhards being covered the more absurd having people questioning faith.
More atheists showing up in the media.
More athiests out of the godless closet.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
Access to massive amounts of information lead to people not belie a bunch of ancient fairy tales.

Shocker.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
OtakuJeannie
I wonder how much of this is because of honest beifs and how much of this is being trendy. That said, I was an atheist before I hit the net.

I'd say undefined factors in this study include;
More extreme blowhards being covered the more absurd having people questioning faith.
More atheists showing up in the media.
More athiests out of the godless closet.
I laughed at the part I bolded.

In this study, I don't think that they were saying there was an increased number of atheists, just people unaffiliated with religion. Often these people have vague beliefs like a god and spirituality that seem to be based on random feelings and have only loose connections to any philosophical or religious teachings. The part about the internet I can see for them specifically is that church used to be a place people might meet with friends but they can't say as much as they can online and social media is ubiquitous and far more likely to appeal to such kids who never really cared about religion. Church isn't as fun a place for most kids as facebook.
That's good news, but 25% non-religious in 2040 is still a laughably low number compared to say, Sweden.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

8,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
I bet they took the poll on the internet.

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Curse that confounded internet. Enlightening people. Making them smarter and more aware. How dare people research and become smarter and read more books and research more further into things! How dare they question things that are man made like gods and religions? Just what does the internet think it is? Some kind of networking of information.... Oh wait....

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
AliKat1988
JamesWN
That is an interesting idea. How do you know it is not frozen spinach and definitely the canned?
Because Popeye.

Familiar Smoker

I love you brain...you do weird s**t...

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Ratttking
AliKat1988
JamesWN
Because Popeye.
I can see that. He got special powers from spinach without praying-clearly spinach is an alternative to religious belief.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I say we do a little less blaming and a little more thanking.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
AliKat1988
Ratttking
AliKat1988
JamesWN
Because Popeye.
I can see that. He got special powers from spinach without praying-clearly spinach is an alternative to religious belief.
But did the spinach deform his arms in that grotesque manner?

Aged Lunatic

Wouldn't know it to look outside around my part of the country. It's getting MORE religious, not less.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff