Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
8-year-old girl handcuffed, jailed for two hours

ALTON, Ill. (KMOV) -- An 8-year-old girl was handcuffed and held by Alton Police for two hours after throwing a tantrum at school.

Jmyha Rickman was hauled in the back of a police squad car. Her guardian said she was treated like a criminal, all 70 lbs. of the young girl.

Rickman’s ordeal began at Love Joy Elementary School late Tuesday morning when she apparently had a bad tantrum.

At some point, school officials called the Alton Police to handle the situation.

Rickman said her hands were cuffed behind her back and the police would not allow her to get her coat.

“Her eyes were swollen from her crying and her wrists had welts on them,” said Rickman’s guardian, “They cuffed her feet too and she asked to use the restroom several times and was ignored.”

Alton Police have disputed some of the family’s claims and said the child was put in a juvenile detention room with supervision.

Police said they received a call from the school and said a child was out of control, tearing up two classrooms.

The police officer believes he took appropriate action.

School officials could not be found for a comment.

Rickman is home Tuesday, but News 4 will continue to find information from the school district and police.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
You know... I'm trying to feel sympathetic towards the little girl, but really, it's not working. If she was tearing up two classrooms, that means she's running up and down the hall in addition to throwing things and disrupting classes. Even with the bathroom thing, kids in trouble ask to go to the restroom all the time. They know adults don't want to clean up their pee, so they use it as an excuse to delay punishment.

She sounds like a complete brat.

Magnetic Reveler

5,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Why couldn't they call the parents to come get their child instead of calling the police though? I think the child's arrest was a bit extreme if the school hadn't called the parents to fetch her.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
She's 8? She's damn old enough no know not to act like a little demon.
However, I think calling the parents would be a better option.
Still, damn that's a little brat.
It sounds like the school tried to handle the situation and called the police when they couldn't. Even if she had the handcuffs on for the entire time I doubt she would have welts from them unless she continued to thrash about in some manner. It says she was refused being able to use the restroom but doesn't say she wet herself, which a reporter would jump on, making me question if she really needed to or just wanted to delay punishment.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Shyao_Sorceress
Why couldn't they call the parents to come get their child instead of calling the police though? I think the child's arrest was a bit extreme if the school hadn't called the parents to fetch her.
Because to some parents the child is in the right, the child can do no wrong. I think handcuffing her feet and is a bit extreme and handcuffing the hands to a point she gets welts and not allowing her to get her coat or use the washroom is extreme but maybe the parents were called before and did nothing, or blamed the school.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Blood Valkyrie
She's 8? She's damn old enough no know not to act like a little demon.
However, I think calling the parents would be a better option.
Still, damn that's a little brat.
Unless the parents are like my child is perfect and they tried calling the parents before and they treated it like the teachers was wrong.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It seems every time there is one of these stories the writer tries to milk the drama.
A few thoughts - some of which others have mentioned.

The school may well have tried to contact the parents before calling the cops. Many times schools are trying to deal with an out of control kid, parents are at work or otherwise not available. School knows there is very little they can legally do. Kid is out of control and tearing the place up. If the school puts her in restraints people scream bloody murder. If they lock her in a room people scream. So about the only thing they can do is call someone who can legally restrain her.

The cops did not arrest her as in charge her with a crime. The simply kept her in safe custody.
As others have noted there is no mention that she peed herself. Either she didn't have to go that bad or someone did let her go. My grandson used to pull the same thing when he was put in time out. The first few times we fell for it. When he figured out we were on to him he quit doing it.
They do not typically put leg cuffs on even adults that are arrested for felonies. That suggests she was kicking and being a little s**t. Same with the welts on her wrists. She almost certainly did that to herself.
The cops did not 'haul' her. They gave her a ride.
They held her for two hours because that is probably how long it took to get one of the parents to show up and take the little s**t home.

I do recognize that some kids have issues and have meltdowns and such and are not necessarily evil. On the other hand the school has to do something to protect their property and the other kids as well as the girl herself. Every year the school's hands are tied a little tighter both by laws and by the fact that every time a school district employee does anything to a child other than verbal discipline (and sometimes for just verbal as well) somebody is screaming for them to be arrested, fired or sued. It's no surprise they call in the police to handle it so they have a reputable third party witness involved.

Also consider that what the girl did was illegal.
I don't think anyone would suggest they press charges against an 8 year old having a super meltdown but think about if an adult had done the exact same thing. She would probably have been charged with one or more counts each of disorderly conduct, vandalism, assault, endangering a child and resisting arrest. If an adult did that s**t folks would be saying, "Yeah! Throw her a** in jail!".

Instead it's a little girl so they held her for a while until her folks could come get her.
Maybe next time she will choose a different course of action when she is not satisfied with how things are going for her.
I hope this girl gets the counseling and/or medication she apparently needs but I don't feel all sad for her that police had to be called in to make her stop doing what she was doing.

Shy Noob

Sounds to me like there may be other issues with the child like possibly Autism. I know when my nephew has a bad day there are times where he is inconsolable but there are methods of calming him down. Restraining his arms and hauling him away is kinda one of them. Granted you dont use cuffs or a police station but you do hug the child from behind restraining his arms and take him to another room and stay with him for some reason that works. (Sounds a bit ***** to be honest)

I think the school is at fault for not contacting the parents first and for not having the knowledge of how to deal with problem students. Then again I'm sure everyone involved didn't what to physically restrain the child for fear of legal actions, why else would they let her destroy two rooms.

This brings up another issue, something has to be done in schools where they can interact with children who have issues and not fear legal actions. I'm not entirely sure what could have been done with this little girl but if she is so out of control that she is wrecking entire rooms she is then, in my opinion, in danger of hurting herself and should be restrained in some sort of way.

Don't tase me bro.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Why do I have a feeling she is black with that first name? How do you pronounce her name?

Was she being a brat or did someone insight the wrath of a little child?

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
TommyKae
Sounds to me like there may be other issues with the child like possibly Autism. I know when my nephew has a bad day there are times where he is inconsolable but there are methods of calming him down. Restraining his arms and hauling him away is kinda one of them. Granted you dont use cuffs or a police station but you do hug the child from behind restraining his arms and take him to another room and stay with him for some reason that works. (Sounds a bit ***** to be honest)

I think the school is at fault for not contacting the parents first and for not having the knowledge of how to deal with problem students. Then again I'm sure everyone involved didn't what to physically restrain the child for fear of legal actions, why else would they let her destroy two rooms.

This brings up another issue, something has to be done in schools where they can interact with children who have issues and not fear legal actions. I'm not entirely sure what could have been done with this little girl but if she is so out of control that she is wrecking entire rooms she is then, in my opinion, in danger of hurting herself and should be restrained in some sort of way.

Don't tase me bro.
You had to bring him up didn't you? LOL

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
How bad was this girl that the police were needed?

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Special needs

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey

Special needs

I can't watch the videos. Are they playing the black card or do they admit their daughter was out of control? The fact that it is on the evening news suggests maybe the parents are claiming she was treated unfairly.

And lulz at the second video.
Still can't see it but from the apparently nighttime still shot and the "LIVE" it looks like they doing that same cheesy crap so many news reporters do. "I'm here LIVE at (in this case a school) where earlier today something interesting happened and now nothing at all is happening but I'm still here live because that sounds better to our moronic viewers". "You know, I could have done this piece from our studio and showed you a still photo of the school in daytime so you'd have an even better idea what it looks like but instead I'm here LIVE!"

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
xdivision_whitey

Special needs

I can't watch the videos. Are they playing the black card or do they admit their daughter was out of control? The fact that it is on the evening news suggests maybe the parents are claiming she was treated unfairly.

And lulz at the second video.
Still can't see it but from the apparently nighttime still shot and the "LIVE" it looks like they doing that same cheesy crap so many news reporters do. "I'm here LIVE at (in this case a school) where earlier today something interesting happened and now nothing at all is happening but I'm still here live because that sounds better to our moronic viewers". "You know, I could have done this piece from our studio and showed you a still photo of the school in daytime so you'd have an even better idea what it looks like but instead I'm here LIVE!"
One of the Video's stated she was in a special needs class. Also they mentioned she had many other tantrums before. This Time instead of waiting for her Uncle Who was on his way to come and get her they called the cop.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff