Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The family of a 7-year-old New York boy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.

Wilson Reyes, a student at Public School 114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to the local police precinct where officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.

"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother, Frances Mendez, told the New York Post. "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.

The claim, filed by family attorney Jack Yankowitz, accuses the NYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.

Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.

"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department's Internal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.

New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on the New York City Public Advocate's website.

"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."

Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned.

read on

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
The other side of the story:

link

Quote:
Bully’s victim speaks: Cops should have ‘never taken the cuffs off’ of his 7-year-old tormentor
Seth Acevedo reveals months of torment at the hands and feet of Wilson Reyes

The purported victim of a tiny Bronx thug wishes the NYPD kept his 7-year-old tormentor permanently handcuffed.

Elementary schooler Seth Acevedo told the Daily News that he only felt safe from Wilson Reyes after the cruel third-grader was busted last month for beating and robbing him.

“Wilson was the worst bully,” said Seth, 9, in an interview Wednesday with the Daily News. “He would call me names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off of him.”

A lawyer for the Reyes family is considering a $250 million lawsuit against the city and the NYPD, claiming the boy was wrongfully handcuffed and held for six hours inside the 44th Precinct stationhouse.

But Seth and his mom unmasked Wilson as a serial bully — and said the arresting officers did the right thing by slapping restraints on their small suspect.

“I would have handcuffed him, too,” snapped the boy’s mother, Janet Ramos.

The 4-foot-7, 75-pound Wilson slugged Seth in the face and robbed him of $5 as he walked home after school on Nov. 30, the victim recounted.

Wilson was arrested four days later inside a classroom at Public School X114 on Cromwell Ave. and handcuffed to a Bronx stationhouse wall.

“He deserved to be cuffed,” Seth said. “He acts like an animal. . . . People are trying to say, poor Wilson, but he’s nothing but a big bully.”

Wilson’s purported accomplice confirmed Seth’s account of the street robbery.

Wilson grabbed a dollar bill from Seth’s pocket, sending a few more bills tumbling to the ground, said Javonne McLeod, 9. Wilson then stomped his foot down on the cash.

“Wilson said, ‘Let’s fight for the money,’ ” Javonne told The News. “I was like, ‘Stop, stop stop!’ I said, ‘You know, we can go to jail for that.’

“He’s like, ‘Nah — we’re too little to go to jail.’ ”

Wilson’s attorney Jack Yankowitz insisted Wednesday that his young client was the real victim.

“The child did absolutely nothing wrong,” Yankowitz said. “He did not take any money from any child. . . . The arrest was a complete violation of his civil rights, of his human rights.”

But Janet Ramos recalled how her crying son returned home that day: “He said, ‘Mommy, I just got robbed.’ ”

The mom said she notified the school about Wilson’s bullying.

School officials said they could not comment because the case is under investigation, but a school source confirmed that officials met with the students and their parents to resolve the situation.

The NYPD Internal Affairs Bureau launched an investigation into the decision to cuff the kid suspect.

Attorney Ron Kuby said that regardless of what the police find, the Reyes family will never collect anything near $250 million — but “no lawyer ever lost a case by adding too many zeroes to a damage request.”

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
4'7" that kids big!!!!

Greedy Consumer

Looks like his mom is pinching him to make him cry xd
news articles give us limited information then try and twist it around. Oh well.

Romantic Lover

12,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
That's not a seven year old, that's a large midget....

Witty Phantom

So, we're just going to outcast people we don't like?
ERMAGERD, HE'S BEIN' MEEN!! MAEK HIM GO AWAY.

You know what? ******** that. ******** that to hell.
I'm not saying that him stealing or picking on that kid was the right thing to do. But he's a ******** 7-year-old kid. Unless he killed someone, I don't see why he should go to prison.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Eternal Marionetta

I'm not saying that him stealing or picking on that kid was the right thing to do. But he's a ******** 7-year-old kid. Unless he killed someone, I don't see why he should go to prison.

He's below the age of criminal responsibility in New York, so nothing will actually happen to him, not in a criminal court anyway. In the photograph of him handcuffed, he looks slightly inconvenienced, not scared or even annoyed.

But you have to wonder about a kid who's already a 1st-class bully (9 months of beating on an older kid? and mugging him? seriously?) and whose parents and teachers obviously don't care about what he's becoming and where he'll end up in a few years when he's old enough to do some sleep-away camping in Juvenile Hall.

Witty Phantom

Vampirate Kitsune
Eternal Marionetta

He's below the age of criminal responsibility in New York, so nothing will actually happen to him, not in a criminal court anyway. In the photograph of him handcuffed, he looks slightly inconvenienced, not scared or even annoyed.

But you have to wonder about a kid who's already a 1st-class bully (9 months of beating on an older kid? and mugging him? seriously?) and whose parents and teachers obviously don't care about what he's becoming and where he'll end up in a few years when he's old enough to do some sleep-away camping in Juvenile Hall.

I figured they wouldn't do anything.
I'm not excusing his bullying behavior, but that kid is really aggressive and needs help. Outcasting him is only going to make it worse. He's picking on an older kid and stealing. That's not a good sign in any situation.

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

Eternal Marionetta
Vampirate Kitsune
Eternal Marionetta

I figured they wouldn't do anything.
I'm not excusing his bullying behavior, but that kid is really aggressive and needs help. Outcasting him is only going to make it worse. He's picking on an older kid and stealing. That's not a good sign in any situation.
Yeah. One must wonder what's going on with the 7 year old for him to be such a punk like that. This behavior does not appear out of nowhere.

Romantic Shapeshifter

it doesnt matter that the kid was a bully. a child should not be hancuffed and interrigated for that long without his parents. this shoulld have been handled better. if he was a bully he should have been expelled and yes for the theft the police should have been called but his mother should have been called and been with him when they 'interrigated ' him for that long.... and what this mother is asking is rediculous....

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm too busy wondering what the kid's eating to be that big.

Romantic Lover

12,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Snowy One Piece Lover
That is not a 7 year old... That's a min high schooler. There is NO excuse for that kid to be that big...

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Anasui
Snowy One Piece Lover
That is not a 7 year old... That's a min high schooler. There is NO excuse for that kid to be that big...

^This xD

Kawaii Shoujo

All I can say that bully deserved it, stealing money and harming others for the heck of it... sounds like a future criminal to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff