Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
Quote:
Two die in cesspit after woman drops her phone into toilet

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Two people died and three were injured after wading into a cesspool's knee-deep filth in an attempt to retrieve a woman's mobile phone and rescue those who fainted.

The two fatalities were the woman's husband and mother-in-law, a local newspaper reported.

The tragedy unfolded after the young woman in Xinxiang city, Henan, accidentally dropped her brand new phone into a cesspit when she went to the open-pit toilet on Wednesday, according to local newspaper Dahe Daily.

Her husband jumped in to find the 2,000-yuan (HK$2,510) phone but he could not breathe and soon lost consciousness.

Then, the husband's mother jumped in to save him but she, too, soon lost consciousness. In panic, the young woman followed and suffered the same fate.

Seeing his family lying helpless in waste, her father-in-law called to neighbours for help.

When they arrived, the old man also entered the cesspit but could not get out while two neighbours who jumped inside fainted.

“The smell was too strong. I lost consciousness before I could see anything,” said a neighbour.

Other villagers found a rope and tied it on rescuers who, taking turns, pulled six people out of the pit.

The husband and mother-in-law died in hospital while the woman and a neighbour remained in the intensive care unit. The father-in-law was also injured.

The woman and her husband had a one-year-old son.

Villagers said the victims were in the pit – which was knee deep in waste –for no more than five minutes.

A hospital doctor said the victims suffocated.

Villagers said the dead victims had pulses after being pulled out but the ambulance did not arrive for more than an hour.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
So not worth it.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dammit, world. Hopefully their progeny won't inherit this level of stupid.

Feral Nymph

Alexander J Luthor

I know I'm making assumptions here, but if she was using an outdoor toilet, I'm going to guess that 2,000 yuan was a lot of money to them. It was still not worth it, but if you were poor and just lost your brand-new really expensive object, you may at least entertain the idea of getting it back.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor

I know I'm making assumptions here, but if she was using an outdoor toilet, I'm going to guess that 2,000 yuan was a lot of money to them. It was still not worth it, but if you were poor and just lost your brand-new really expensive object, you may at least entertain the idea of getting it back.

I've been around port a pots. That stench is horrific, and I'll have no pity for anyone willing to jump into that for a phone. I mean damn, look at the depth from that picture. Even if they hadn't passed out it would have been near impossible to crawl out without a rope.

Time-traveling Doll

39,175 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
I don't know if I should feel pity or face palm myself.

Feral Nymph

Hot yaoilover25

I find that a mix of both is best in this situation. So, feel pity while facepalming. 3nodding

Time-traveling Doll

39,175 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Pessimist
Hot yaoilover25

I find that a mix of both is best in this situation. So, feel pity while facepalming. 3nodding

I'll keep that in mind.^^

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Welp, this story made me giggle a little bit. I just might be going to hell now.

Dedicated Student

Not worth it, but if the villagers were right it's the lack of emergency help that killed the two. Shame on the emergency department. Where were they? The two would have probably still been alive if it hadn't taken the ambulance an hour to get there.
Quote:
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
that was the dumbest thing i've read so far today

Hilarious Loiterer

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
This probably shouldn't have, but it reminded me of part of a song where the singer mentions that his brother (or maybe cousin) had taken a correspondence course with a famous lifeguard. As soon as he got into the water (Because this man is clearly intelligent), he drowns. And two more people drown trying to save him.

Though to be honest, poor guys. That's a horrible way to die...

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
According to google that phone was worth $321.51. Was it worth it?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Not worth it, but if the villagers were right it's the lack of emergency help that killed the two. Shame on the emergency department. Where were they? The two would have probably still been alive if it hadn't taken the ambulance an hour to get there.
how far away was the rescue service? you shouldn't diss them without knowing that. might as well shame the neighbors for not knowing/administering cpr.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff