Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
..Off

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 33-year-old slice of cake from Prince Charles and Princess Diana's 1981 wedding has sold at auction for $1,375.

The cake, still in its original white and silver presentation box, was sold online Thursday by Nate D. Sanders Auctions of Los Angeles.

With the box was a card stating, "With best wishes from Their Royal Highnesses, the Prince & Princess of Wales."

Auction house spokesman Sam Heller says the buyer is a private collector.

Although the cake came wrapped in its original wax paper, Heller says it wouldn't be a good idea to try to eat it.

He adds, however, that there is a small but dedicated group of royal cake collectors.

Some, Heller says, have purchased cakes dating to the days of Britain's Queen Victoria, who married in 1840. Source

Ah the things that can be collected.

By the way, great advice on not eating the cake. The box probably tastes better than the cake at this point. whee

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
....The ********, people.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Lonely Browser

i only buy cake if i can eat it. but to each his own...

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
gonk How has it not decayed into nothing by now? Ew...

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
xXFurygeistXx

It has that much sugar that it acts like a preservative, and it would be kept in an airtight box in a cool area. Cakes like that are made for saving , not for eating.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
washu_2004
xXFurygeistXx

It has that much sugar that it acts like a preservative, and it would be kept in an airtight box in a cool area. Cakes like that are made for saving , not for eating.

That's...really weird. Cakes should be eaten, not collected like baseball cards. It defeats the purpose of the cake.

Undead Enchantress

Is this cake...a lie?

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Aw~ I guess people on here are too young to remember the tradition.

It may have died in the 00's with people expecting to get married several times in their life.

Anyways, it used to be a tradition, atleast until the 1990's I'm guessing by your reactions, to keep a slice of your own wedding cake.

At some point people were trying to start a tradition where you eat the thing after so long. Mostly suggested and supported by implusive people. Some people wanted to eat it as soon as after the Honey Moon. Some wanted to wait a month. Some wanted to wait a year.

But the tradition was to try to hold onto it as long as possible. Last century most wives had a spot for that piece in their Freezer. Their kids might accidently eat it 10, 15, 20, 25 years later. Annoying people would do that some times, too.

Anyways,.. this wasn't total madness. This has been normal for some time. I'm actually surprised that the piece went for so cheap. Some bakeries are charging certain people 2k for a wedding cake now.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
xXFurygeistXx
Deep freezing in airtight container can make it keep the same appearance however inedible it has become.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
After taking a bite, the proud new owner could only comment: "Hmm, that was grody!"

There really is no logical reason for owning a cake that is older than many people across the world...and the only illogical reson, summoning the Princess during the seance, probably wouldn't provide much in the way of stimulating conversation. Pass mrgreen

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
How much for her first used tampon after she officially became a royal?

Trash / Garbage is still garbage even if a famous person owned it.

Now I'm having creepy thoughts trying to imagine the personality of the person who purchased this and wondering what his/her house looks like. Does he have special locking glass fronted freezer display cases full of frozen slices of inedible cake? Maybe another room full of creepy royal stuff that does not need freezing?
"And in this box is my collection of royal toenail clippings. You'll note the edge differences in the ones from the 1800s compared to the more modern ones cut with newer styles of cutters".
"And over here is my prized collection of disposable paper car floor mats from each time a royal had one of their vehicles serviced."

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
David2074
How much for her first used tampon after she officially became a royal?

Trash / Garbage is still garbage even if a famous person owned it.

Now I'm having creepy thoughts trying to imagine the personality of the person who purchased this and wondering what his/her house looks like. Does he have special locking glass fronted freezer display cases full of frozen slices of inedible cake? Maybe another room full of creepy royal stuff that does not need freezing?
"And in this box is my collection of royal toenail clippings. You'll note the edge differences in the ones from the 1800s compared to the more modern ones cut with newer styles of cutters".
"And over here is my prized collection of disposable paper car floor mats from each time a royal had one of their vehicles serviced."

I'm just wondering if they're ever gonna re-sell it. So I can buy a piece of history myself and blow it to smithereens enjoy it immensely. emotion_kirakira
Lol i agree to buying cake with the intention of eating it, not treating it as a collectable item lol. But there are much weirder things people collect 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff