Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:

THE brutal murder of Papua New Guinean woman Kepari Leniata, who was burned alive after being accused of sorcery, has been condemned by the nation's prime minister and diplomatic observers.
The 20-year-old mother of one was murdered on Wednesday after being stripped naked, tortured with a hot iron rod, bound, doused in petrol, and set on fire on a rubbish heap in the Western Highlands capital of Mt Hagen.

Police say she was accused of sorcery by relatives of a six-year-old boy who died in Mt Hagen hospital the day before.

"No one commits such a despicable act in the society that all of us, including Kepari, belong to," Prime Minister Peter O'Neill said in a statement.

"Barbaric killings connected with alleged sorcery. Violence against women because of this belief that sorcery kills. These are becoming all too common in certain parts of the country.

"It is reprehensible that women, the old and the weak in our society should be targeted for alleged sorcery or wrongs that they actually have nothing to do with."

Mr O'Neill said he had instructed police to use all available manpower to bring the killers to justice.

Australia's high commissioner and the US embassy also condemned the murder.

"We join the US embassy and the PNG government in condemning this murder and join all reasonable Papua New Guineans in looking forward to the perpetrators being brought to justice," High Commissioner Ian Kemish said on Thursday.

Earlier, the US embassy in Port Moresby issued a statement condemning the murder and calling for a sustained international partnership to enhance anti-gender-based violence laws throughout the Pacific.

Reports in the local press say police tried to stop the killing, but were chased off by the crowd.

Police spokesman Domininc Kakas told AAP frequent sorcery-related killings could only be tackled with a co-ordinated effort from government, police and NGOs.

"It's an ongoing problem and has been in the spotlight for some time now," he said.

"We need an outlet or avenue to address sorcery allegations. People believe it's something that exists, but it's a crime. People will have to be arrested. It's a crime."

Both of PNG's daily national newspapers carried the story on their front pages with the headline "Burnt Alive" accompanied by a picture of a burning mass on a rubbish heap surrounded by a crowd of onlookers - including children.

In the picture, amid the smoke and the flame, burning tyres could be seen, along with people taking pictures on their mobile phones.

Both the Post Courier and The National newspapers reported Ms Leniata, from Enga Province, was one of three women accused of sorcery and interrogated by the attackers.

Belief in sorcery is still widespread in rural PNG - where distinctions are made between good and bad magic.

PNG's sorcery act dates back to before 1975, when the nation was a colony of Australia.

The law acknowledges the widespread belief in sorcery and tries to regulate it; however, the courts have increasingly backed away from sorcery cases.

The UN's special rapporteur on violence against women, Rashida Manjoo, in March last year gave a blistering assessment of the treatment of women in PNG, finding two-thirds of females in relationships have experienced domestic violence.

Ms Manjoo said sorcery allegations were usually used as a way of depriving women of land and property, while misfortune or death were used as a reason for the accusation.

"I was informed that sorcery-related violence is commonly perpetrated by young men or boys who act under orders for other members in the community," Ms Manjoo told the BBC at the time.

"They commonly do so under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which is provided by such persons."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world/png-woman-burned-alive/story-e6frfkui-1226572679631

The hell is this? I cant believe this crap still goes on. I cant help but pray all those involved in this die horrible deaths and their souls spend a thousand years in a dark dark hell.

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
This is horrible.

The Prime Minister and the other officials are right, I think. It's going to take a whole lot of effort on the part of social and political and other institutions to change this. Good for them for taking it on.

Kawaii Shoujo

That's horrible... she did absolutely nothing to the child, yet his relatives thought it right to have her killed claiming it was sorcery that she had done in order to cover up their grief.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
You'd think this kind of stuff would've died with the 17th Century...

Blessed Fairy

This is very sad and horrifying to hear. To think that people would still be accused of sorcery now a days is hard to fathom and I feel that this case was mixed too well with bad blood to be reasonable or justifiable.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Witchcraft ...
Think about it.
If a person really is a witch, wouldn't the witch be able to escape your attempts at murder ... and, you know ... MAKE YOUR LIFE EVEN MORE MISERABLE?!

The logic behind witchcraft extermination is stupid.

Timid Friend

Blood Valkyrie
Witchcraft ...
Think about it.
If a person really is a witch, wouldn't the witch be able to escape your attempts at murder ... and, you know ... MAKE YOUR LIFE EVEN MORE MISERABLE?!

The logic behind witchcraft extermination is stupid.

if you float then your a witch!
but if sink then your a witch!

kinda like that?o:

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea This is absolutely barbaric. How can people still behave like this in 2013? No one could possibly be this ******** ignorant.
This is insane. I can't believe some people are still stuck in the middle ages and accuse women of sorcery when someone in their village dies or becomes sick.

Witty Entrepreneur

7,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Partygoer 500
It's surprising to hear these injustice cases happen in 2013. This just makes me lose more respect for humanity.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lilly_Quill

I cant help but pray all those involved in this die horrible deaths and their souls spend a thousand years in a dark dark hell.
Kind of ironic that you yourself are willing something supernatural to bring about evil and yet you don't believe in sorcery. rolleyes

11,925 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
This is very sad, but witch huts still go on.

Timid Genius

1,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Wow, I thought this had died out

But then, I'm confessedly ignorant of other cultures.
It's just wrong to accuse someone of killing without even proof. And I don't mean "spiritual evidence" like their "familiar" or their "phantom."

Timid Friend

BC-Raven
This is very sad, but witch huts still go on.

i hunted a witch once.....it was delicious cause it tasted like ham and cheese~ .o.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
That country was said to be one of the worse countires for women and children to live in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff