Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Well at least he was able to save everyone in the house.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Nyadriel
At least he had the where-with-all to actually care enough to investigate rather than continuing to play. How many other kids would have had their survival instincts kick in like this? Probably many. No way to know.

But this kid deserves a Golden Kudos!
Or worse yet be so absorbed in the game that they don't notice a fire even if it is in the same room behind them.

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

Magic Man Scythe
lana del meh
Magic Man Scythe
lana del meh
"That's pretty much a fire"

More or less

Probably . . . basically . .

In a sense.

Kinda, sorta.

Peaceful Bookworm

16,115 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
Shitty way to start off the new year but at least no one got hurt 3nodding
"I smelled something really funky - and I thought it was me"
LOL

But really, great on this kid.

You really never know how fires start sometimes. Our dishwashing machine once started smoking like mad because we put some plastic to wash in it, and it dropped to the "floor" in the machine, where it gets incredibly hot, and started burning it (even with all the water going on about inside).
We handwash plastic stuff now.
Shadowolf
"I smelled something really funky - and I thought it was me"
LOL

But really, great on this kid.

You really never know how fires start sometimes. Our dishwashing machine once started smoking like mad because we put some plastic to wash in it, and it dropped to the "floor" in the machine, where it gets incredibly hot, and started burning it (even with all the water going on about inside).
We handwash plastic stuff now.

I'll have to remember this story, I have this plastic bowl I'm quite attached to...

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Gin And Puff
xdivision_whitey
We're just guessing here, but we suspect Jaxxyn Wood's parents aren't going to be telling him to put down his controller and go to sleep anytime soon.

The 12-year-old gamer is being hailed as a hero for saving his family from a fire in their Danville, Kentucky home last week.

Wood was pulling a marathon post-Christmas play session when he began to smell foul-smelling smoke sometime around 3:30 am on Thursday morning,

"I was on this kind of important mission and I smelled something really funky - and I thought it was me - but then it wasn't," he told Kentucky’s WKYT. "I went downstairs and I saw the ... smoke and I was like 'Oh crap! That's pretty much a fire.'"

When he went to investigate further, he found smoke in the hallway and saw that the kitchen's ice machine had caught fire. He made a brief effort to put the fire out, but quickly ran upstairs to wake his sisters and parents to evacuate the home.

The fire eventually spread to the kitchen and dining areas of the house before firefighters were able to contain it. The second and third floors suffered heavy smoke damage.

Nine people were in the house, but Jaxxyn, the youngest of 11 (!) siblings, was the only one awake, enjoying what must be some pretty rare quiet play time. And that, it turns out, might have been the only thing preventing this from becoming a tragedy. The home had no working smoke detectors, according to investigators.

Jaxxyn credits school for his quick thinking.

"A fireman came to our school and he said if there's ever a fire there's most likely gonna be smoke in the air,” he said. “So you want to duck down and ... get everyone you can and get out."

While we doubt most 12-year-olds will be able to convince their parents to let them stay up that late playing games as a precaution, we tip our hat to Jaxxyn, who not only saved his family, but kept a humble attitude about it in every subsequent interview.

house fires are never fun.

If he was smart he would've used the fire extinguisher.

Not everyone owns a fire extinguisher. My household doesn't even have one.

Shy Gaian

6,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
If the kid was sleeping at that moment, what is the chance of surviving that fire? (Take note, there's about 13 of them in the household)
^ I'm asking this out of curiosity. Would the fatality rate be high? I mean, there's a lot of them, they can't all be sleeping like a log, could they?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Suziah
If the kid was sleeping at that moment, what is the chance of surviving that fire? (Take note, there's about 13 of them in the household)
^ I'm asking this out of curiosity. Would the fatality rate be high? I mean, there's a lot of them, they can't all be sleeping like a log, could they?
No way of telling really. If the concentration of carbon monoxide from the fire became high enough, even if awake they could all fall unconscious after taking several breaths and die within a few minutes.

Shy Gaian

6,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ratttking
Suziah
No way of telling really. If the concentration of carbon monoxide from the fire became high enough, even if awake they could all fall unconscious after taking several breaths and die within a few minutes.

Haaa.... guess it's a good thing then that he was awake. I wonder what message the news is trying to promote to the public with this article. "We should let children play 24/7"?
Suziah

Nah, someone would get up and smell smoke, although the weak and sickly would probably be lost to the blaze

Shy Gaian

6,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Gin And Puff
Suziah

Nah, someone would get up and smell smoke, although the weak and sickly would probably be lost to the blaze

Yes, yes they would. But chances of that happening (the sickly dying that is) is somewhat low considering there's a lot of them so they can help each other out..unless they all panicked.
However, based on the article, they all seemed to fare rather nicely when it comes to that kind of emergency
Suziah
Gin And Puff
Suziah

Yes, yes they would. But chances of that happening (the sickly dying that is) is somewhat low considering there's a lot of them so they can help each other out..unless they all panicked.
However, based on the article, they all seemed to fare rather nicely when it comes to that kind of emergency

Depends how it goes.

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
In this case the argument cant be made that computer games aint good for your health. Good job kid. Good job

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff