Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Fatcat

10,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
Quote:
It’s been nearly a week since Ronin Shimizu, 12, a bright-eyed California boy who was passionate about cheerleading and fashion, committed suicide, following years of being bullied. And in the time since his death, social media has exploded with post-mortem sorrow, outrage, and several tributes, as well as a memorial Go Fund Me page that’s raised more than $10,000 in just two days.

“The fact that kids bullied this twelve year old boy so bad that he wanted to take his own life makes me sick to my stomach,” cried out one tweet in an endless stream of those using hashtags #RIPRonin and #RIPRoninShimizu this week. “That poor boy was only 12 years old,” wrote another. “Watch your words, they can cause more pain than you may know.”

But still another expressed a feeling of futility. It asked, simply, “Why do people only start paying attention when it’s too late?”

It’s a worthy question, especially considering the relentless nature of the bullying Shimizu reportedly experienced — as well as news of other recent suicides apparently connected with bullying, such as that of 13-year-old Peyton James of Texas, who had been targeted by his peers since second grade before taking his own life in October.

“Social media can be an effective tool, but it’s easier to write your support than to show it in person and at school, and I don’t like that,” Donna Clark-Love, a bullying-prevention expert and educator based in Houston, Tex., tells Yahoo Parenting. “Oftentimes I’ll be speaking at a school and someone will ask me, ‘Did you see my [supportive] tweet?’ And my question is, did you stand up at school? Because if you’re going to do social media, then speak out in school, too.”

Still, notes David Bond, vice president of programs for The Trevor Project — a national organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people— the outpouring on social media is a natural reaction and can indeed be positive. But it has the potential to backfire, too. “For the people who loved Ronin, it’s nice to see, and might be comforting,” Bond tells Yahoo Parenting. “For other young people potentially considering suicide, that concept of ‘contagion’ is something to be considered — that thought of ‘You’ll miss me when I’m gone’ that can sometimes be reinforced through seeing such loving tributes. So it becomes a very complex situation.”

Source

This really irks me. When is enough going to be enough?
I really think we should investigate more if someone reports bullying and if it's true, we should humiliate the bullies. Leave the fact that they were BULLES on their permanent record/page and see if anyone wants to talk to them after that.

The funny thing is, I don't think the administrators at my school really care about bullying as much as they say they do. The teachers bully other teachers, the teachers bully the students, and the students bully the students. If you say ANYTHING to defend yourself from the teachers it's "backtalking" and unacceptable.
People need a lesson in how to treat other people. Bullies learn to humiliate and put down others and really their influences are to blame as well. Also, kids should learn from their parents how to deal with people who make fun of them and to be confident and brave. I think it really is important what people are taught.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Stigiophobia
I really think we should investigate more if someone reports bullying

I agree with this.
But in a way I think some of the 'outraged' folks are part of the problem.
I know that sounds weird. But what I mean is certain buzzwords are getting so overused it sort of waters them down. When I was in school there was the occasional bully. But then there were the folks who were just sometimes rude or made an inconsiderate statement. It seems like these days if anyone says anything negative there is someone crying "bully" and trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Which in turn, I think, generates so much "white noise" that is it easier for a teacher to overlook a more serious case of bullying. I don't know how you define that line or make a policy about it but I do think that teachers and school counselors and so on would have an easier time addressing the serious cases if they didn't have to field so many petty complaints that are really just part of school kids learning to socialize.

And while it may not be true, it seems like these days any time a child commits suicide it is attributed 100% to bullying. Some of those kids may have been being beaten or sexually abused by their parents or some other relative or some other situation that caused their self esteem to be super low. And ironically, abuse often affects how one acts / fits in socially at school so an abused child is more likely to be teased. But if they die, the parents never acknowledge any responsibility in the case. Instead they are quick to blame the school / bullying.

I'm not saying this is true in all cases or even this case.
I'm just putting it out there as food for thought. It's probably part of that "easier to react on social media than in person" aspect mentioned in your post 1 but it seems like people on the internet are very quick to jump on the easy answer such as "cuz bullying".

I had a bully for a while in high school.
I got tired of it and beat him up. He never bothered me again and was nice to me after that.
I realize that isn't always an option but for me, suicide never even occurred to me.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
This is one of the saddest things I've ever heard from the news.
Jesus christ, people need to be taught that boys can like cheerleading and fashion and makeup and all that jazz, and girls can like sports, being athletic and liking gross things and videogames and that jazz.
The fact that this stereotype of "boys like this" and "girls like this" is ******** disgusting and can ruin a person because some little douchebag and their sometimes douchebag parents being backwards ********.
It's fine to teach your child beliefs, but it's not okay to encourage little snots like these ******** to harass people because they're "different". I hope this s**t follows them for the rest of their lives and damn well affects their future. At 10+ they full well know s**t like this isn't okay.
It's really sad because the poor boy probably thought nothing of it at first and then by the time he realized what was going on, he had the ideas of who he was pounded into his head.
That's what happened to me; I thought they were right for YEARS. And when I finally realized what was happening, I made a lot of connections to how they influenced me into becoming who I am today.
It's so sad that this happened to someone so young, I honestly fear it's going to become worse.
“Why do people only start paying attention when it’s too late?”
That is a major point; it's so depressing that it's only noticed when they're dead, and it's sad that only certain people get attention. I think that people need to start showing just how many people die from suicide in this world.

Shameless Fatcat

10,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
David2074
Stigiophobia

I agree with this.
I know that sounds weird. But what I mean is certain buzzwords are getting so overused it sort of waters them down. When I was in school there was the occasional bully. But then there were the folks who were just sometimes rude or made an inconsiderate statement. It seems like these days if anyone says anything negative there is someone crying "bully" and trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Which in turn, I think, generates so much "white noise" that is it easier for a teacher to overlook a more serious case of bullying. I don't know how you define that line or make a policy about it but I do think that teachers and school counselors and so on would have an easier time addressing the serious cases if they didn't have to field so many petty complaints that are really just part of school kids learning to socialize.

And while it may not be true, it seems like these days any time a child commits suicide it is attributed 100% to bullying. Some of those kids may have been being beaten or sexually abused by their parents or some other relative or some other situation that caused their self esteem to be super low. And ironically, abuse often affects how one acts / fits in socially at school so an abused child is more likely to be teased. But if they die, the parents never acknowledge any responsibility in the case. Instead they are quick to blame the school / bullying.

I totally agree with this. I understand someone could also want attention and cry "bully" and life outside of school should also be investigated more. I didn't really think about that while reading, but it's hard to find those details when nowadays articles such as this leave out so much valuable information.

I never really got beat up in any way but there was the occasional name-calling, statements, etc. (Some kid came up to me and joked that his friend "wanted to **** me" when I know I'm not their "type" nor have I ever had any relations with them. I've been called more names, and I'm not saying it's bullying necessarily but it's definitely harassment and shouldn't be excused for "socializing".) I also never really hit anyone because then I would (probably) be suspended or something for getting angry and punching a kid in the throat for being a dumbass and crying assault...it's a funny little world we live in.
But I do agree with what you're saying. This is why we need more details about it instead of "He was bullied and yeah...there's lots of support for him! Look!"

CorpseViolin
Jesus christ, people need to be taught that boys can like cheerleading and fashion and makeup and all that jazz, and girls can like sports, being athletic and liking gross things and videogames and that jazz.
The fact that this stereotype of "boys like this" and "girls like this" is ******** disgusting and can ruin a person because some little douchebag and their sometimes douchebag parents being backwards ********]
It's fine to teach your child beliefs, but it's not okay to encourage little snots like these ******** to harass people because they're "different". I hope this s**t follows them for the rest of their lives and damn well affects their future. At 10+ they full well know s**t like this isn't okay.
It's really sad because the poor boy probably thought nothing of it at first and then by the time he realized what was going on, he had the ideas of who he was pounded into his head.
That's what happened to me; I thought they were right for YEARS. And when I finally realized what was happening, I made a lot of connections to how they influenced me into becoming who I am today.
It's so sad that this happened to someone so young, I honestly fear it's going to become worse.
That is a major point; it's so depressing that it's only noticed when they're dead, and it's sad that only certain people get attention. I think that people need to start showing just how many people die from suicide in this world.

You wouldn't believe what some parents say when it comes to things like this. Here is a video (about 7 mins long) that relates to something like this, but is completely staged just to record reactions of real people.

1:50 "I think that you can't really wear a princess costume. I know you like it, but that's for a girl, and you're not a girl, right?"
I want to punch this mom square in the mouth for saying this. I hate how smug she looks while saying it to this boy because you know she means it, too. I also hate how she calls it a "phase" with her oldest one earlier.
What if, the whole time, he felt like he was a girl on the inside and she took that idea and SQUASHED it? I feel bad for her kids, they'll never be what they want to be because mommy can't accept that some boys want to be like girls and vice versa.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Stigiophobia
David2074
Stigiophobia

I agree with this.

I totally agree with this. I understand someone could also want attention and cry "bully" and life outside of school should also be investigated more. I didn't really think about that while reading, but it's hard to find those details when nowadays articles such as this leave out so much valuable information.

I never really got beat up in any way but there was the occasional name-calling, statements, etc. (Some kid came up to me and joked that his friend "wanted to **** me" when I know I'm not their "type" nor have I ever had any relations with them. I've been called more names, and I'm not saying it's bullying necessarily but it's definitely harassment and shouldn't be excused for "socializing".) I also never really hit anyone because then I would (probably) be suspended or something for getting angry and punching a kid in the throat for being a dumbass and crying assault...it's a funny little world we live in.
But I do agree with what you're saying. This is why we need more details about it instead of "He was bullied and yeah...there's lots of support for him! Look!"

CorpseViolin
The fact that this stereotype of "boys like this" and "girls like this" is ******** disgusting and can ruin a person because some little douchebag and their sometimes douchebag parents being backwards ********]

You wouldn't believe what some parents say when it comes to things like this. Here is a video (about 7 mins long) that relates to something like this, but is completely staged just to record reactions of real people.

My god this is ******** disgusting and I haven't even finished this.
The ******** is the harm in letting your son wear dresses or skirts?! E: And girls wear superhero or masculine s**t? gonk This literally does not affect anyone but him, good god people. scream

Shameless Fatcat

10,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
CorpseViolin
Stigiophobia
David2074
Stigiophobia

I agree with this.

CorpseViolin

The ******** is the harm in letting your son wear dresses or skirts?! gonk This literally does not affect anyone but him, good god people. scream

Right?!? (Sorry I edited the post earlier to add more)
At least there's some justice (from what I can remember) towards the end when at least one person sticks up for the boy.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Stigiophobia
CorpseViolin
Stigiophobia
David2074
Stigiophobia

I agree with this.

CorpseViolin

The ******** is the harm in letting your son wear dresses or skirts?! gonk This literally does not affect anyone but him, good god people. scream

Right?!? (Sorry I edited the post earlier to add more)
At least there's some justice (from what I can remember) towards the end when at least one person sticks up for the boy.

Yeah cry
So many problems would be solved if people weren't nosy little ******** and kept their snouts out of other peoples choices and business. But nope, they just HAVE to have things their way. rolleyes

Blessed Prophet

Stigiophobia

1:50 "I think that you can't really wear a princess costume. I know you like it, but that's for a girl, and you're not a girl, right?"
I want to punch this mom square in the mouth for saying this. I hate how smug she looks while saying it to this boy because you know she means it, too. I also hate how she calls it a "phase" with her oldest one earlier.
What if, the whole time, he felt like he was a girl on the inside and she took that idea and SQUASHED it? I feel bad for her kids, they'll never be what they want to be because mommy can't accept that some boys want to be like girls and vice versa.

Thank you for sharing that video. I can understand parents reacting the way they would because they don't want to have their kid be made fun of by other children, but at the same time they're trying to re-enforce stereotypes that cause kids that like different things to be targeted and made fun of.
I cannot believe how some of those parents reacted. I wanted to punch the first lady in the mouth.

If, when I have kids, I have a boy and he wants to be a princess, I'll make sure he's the prettiest most awesome goddamn princess there ever was

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
CorpseViolin
The ******** is the harm in letting your son wear dresses or skirts?!

Boys used to wear dresses all the time when they were young.
It was just more practical.
The "little girl on the right" is future President John F Kennedy.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Stigiophobia

One reason you don't hear more about it is because once it becomes a "bully story" it has typically already missed the opportunity to be a "abused child story". Most news agencies these days are trying to cover more news with less staff / money than they used to and rarely do much in the way of investigative reporting - especially for "public interest" type stories that most folks have forgotten about by next week. Half the time most of the news is just copy/pasta from a source like Reuters. You can often google on a sentence or two from an article and find that same article, often verbatim, on 20 different news web sites.

So when it comes to messed up kids we typically get one of two kinds of stories -
1. The poor child who was abused by his parent(s) / relative / pervert down the street and everyone focuses their hate on the adult in question.

2. Johnny killed himself (or others) due to the abuse he got from schoolmates and everyone focuses on how evil bullying is. And if Johnny died in the process the parents are full of love and praise for their lost child and "How could people do this to our beloved child!?" Which often may be 100% sincere but it's also pretty much exactly what an abusive parent would say who is happy to have the spotlight of accusations on anyone else but them.
And of course everyone is quick to jump on the bully conversation because those are typically the only details offered in the news and it's a trendy (and legit) thing to hate on.

I think in the majority of cases where death is involved - either suicide or kid goes off the deep end and kills others (or both) that most likely the true story is a combination of both 1 and 2.
Millions of children suffer some form a mistreatment that the PC crowd would call "bullying". Only an extremely small few kill themselves or someone else. I'm not saying bullying alone can't cause a death, only that it's a handy scapegoat and I think most of the time there is more to the story.

As to this comment -
"shouldn't be excused for "socializing""
You may have misunderstood my intent. I was not excusing it. What I said was "learning to socialize". Children learn what is and is not acceptable and that is a process over time starting with a baby who screams to get what he/she wants, then later hits or grabs to get the toy they want from a sibling. Many pre-teens / teens have dysfunctional social skills. Sadly in part that is likely due to many of them have dysfunctional parents. You can walk around just about any mall or big box store and listen to families talk and hear examples of wrong or unkind communication skills at work.

And - kind of nit picking here - but technically it is socializing by definition.
It's a very bad form of it but people interacting is socializing even if what they do is a very sucky version of it. smile

Unbeatable Hunter

9,475 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Citizen 200
I feel you bro my Homeroom teacher in middle school was a total a** he was pompous and arrogant and bullied also at times he encouraged it by cracking completely disrespectful jokes, I personally think the mentality of it anymore is I am in charge i cant do what i wish and bully who i please say what i want, and you cant do anything about it and If i don't feel like dealing with the bully's i don't have too,.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
David2074
CorpseViolin
The ******** is the harm in letting your son wear dresses or skirts?!

Boys used to wear dresses all the time when they were young.
It was just more practical.
The "little girl on the right" is future President John F Kennedy.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

They are pretty practical; they allow pretty much all legroom. And some look just great emotion_c8

Bunny

It's really sad how people take their own lives just because others wanted to put someone down. I wonder if the ones who bullied him are sitting there and questioning "Why did he do that?"

Newbie Fatcat

8,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
prayers go out to his family ppl need to stop being judgemental pricks

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers