Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
An 11-year-old boy was reportedly prohibited from boarding an American Airlines flight on Sunday after his parents asked that flight attendants make an announcement about his severe peanut allergy.

Daniel Levitan was flying from Florida, where his family was on vacation, back home to England. At the gate, Levitan’s parents told an employee about their son’s allergy, and asked if an announcement could be made requesting that passengers refrain from eating peanuts on the flight. “After refusing to help us she then asked what the worst case scenario would be,” Daniel’s mom, Judith, told the Daily Mail. “We told him he had his steroids, antihistamines, and adrenaline with him if anything happened but the worst-case scenario would be that his throat closed and the plane would have to land so he could get medical attention.” At that point, flight attendants asked for a “fit to fly” medical certificate, Judith said. Since they didn’t have one, Daniel was barred from the flight.

“The pilot even came out and said he had no problems making an announcement,” Judith said. “But the woman at the gate and the head office wouldn’t have any of it. They cancelled our tickets and we were driven to a hotel. Daniel was left mortified and embarrassed from being made a spectacle of and he thought he’d ruined the holiday.” The Levitans were able to reschedule and get on a flight two days later, though the staff on that flight also refused to make an announcement.

When Daniel was just 1 he had to be rushed to the hospital after a severe reaction to peanuts. Since then, his parents have kept him away from the nuts and he’s been fine, save for a few minor rashes. The Levitans say they gave advance warning to British Airways, who arranged the American Airlines flights, and were told it wouldn’t be a problem as long as they alerted the staff on board at the time of flying. But even on the way from England to the U.S, after the staff made the announcement, the Levitans say they were told that “Americans have the right to eat nuts.”

While American Airlines doesn’t hand out small packets of peanuts on its flights anymore, they do serve warm nuts in first class and allow passengers to bring on their own food.

On the flight back to England, Judith said she told nearby passengers about her son’s allergy. Still, a passenger seated behind the family decided to eat a bag of nuts, causing Daniel to have an anxiety attack, his mother said. “He was crying and panicking and I’ve never seen him like that,” Judith said. “He was completely panicked about having an allergic reaction because of everything that had gone on.”

Judith said the incident has left Daniel feeling self-conscious and anxious about his allergy. “My son has been left with a complex about his allergies following the ordeal, despite us always telling him it would not affect his life,” she said.

American Airlines didn’t respond to Yahoo Parenting’s request for comment but provided the following statement to the Daily Mail:

“The safety of our passengers is always our primary concern. In line with the US Department of Transport (DOT 14 CFR Part 382.23), in cases where there is reasonable doubt that an individual can complete a flight safely, without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight, we may request a medical certificate. This can apply to an allergy that is considered extremely severe. For the Levitan family, we were able to provide a hotel voucher for the 4 Jan and they were rebooked — at no extra cost — on a flight home at the earliest possible occasion.”

Maybe a hazmat suit would work

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
*ironically eating peanut butter on crackers for lunch*

People b***h about their rights all the time. But too many people never consider the rights of others, like in this case. I mean, how the __ hard is it to just wait another time to eat your damned peanuts or eat something else, just for that flight. Big fight in our schools all over the country over it. Scaring the poor kid is just cruel.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Heewww, I'm torn. On the one hand, I think anyone who thinks that everyone should give up something for the sake of one person is a monumental p***k.

On the other hand, not American Airline's best moment, though truly a fantastic example of America's spirit of ********.
Damn, how hairtriggered were the kid's reactions? Maybe he needs a bubble to be in public and his parents are lying to him about "it won't affect your life".

Greedy Pirate

11,600 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Why not put him in a kennel and ship him in cargo like the pets? I doubt they are eating peanuts, and if it's safe for them to fly there it's safe for him. emotion_dealwithit
First off that flight attendant sounds like a d**k. You can't be surprised that the 'worst possible' outcome is really bad. That's what the term means!

Also, asking =/= preventing. All they wanted was for them to ask people not to eat peanuts. That doesn't interfere with anyone's rights.

Having said all that, it sounds like the parents have given this kid a complex if he was freaking out that badly over someone eating peanuts.
Shama_okami
First off that flight attendant sounds like a d**k. You can't be surprised that the 'worst possible' outcome is really bad. That's what the term means!

Also, asking =/= preventing. All they wanted was for them to ask people not to eat peanuts. That doesn't interfere with anyone's rights.

Having said all that, it sounds like the parents have given this kid a complex if he was freaking out that badly over someone eating peanuts.

If someone has an allergy that is so severe you have to make an announcement it is far from routine. And yeah, telling people to not do something is infringing on their rights.
We're getting one half of the story. He shows up with antihistamines, steroids, adrenaline and other medications? That's far from 'routine'.
One person doesn't trump the others.

Wintry Dragon

Airplane bubble seats. Also for crying babies the flatulent.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Shama_okami

I was thinking the same thing, makes me wonder how the mother deals with the kids allergy if he gets like that at the sight of someone eating peanuts. I mean its not like hes the only one with that allergy, your kid isnt some special snow flake. Tell them they can't eat peanuts because they are allergic and move on.
That's called lawsuit-proofing your business.

Time-traveling Lunatic

With severe allergies, sometimes traveling in airplanes with a medical certificate is a must, Although I agree with the parents that American Airlines, could have handled this case better. However I don't agree how this parents are treating their son allergies. "normal life?" That's BS,all his life this kid will have to watch what he eats, that means reading food labels so there are not hidden surprises. Avoiding restaurants or places you know that the food you are avoiding is going to be served and even with all this precaution accidents happen. This is my normal life with severe allergies in my case seafood. Another thing they are causing this kid having anxiety attacks at the sight of peanuts, the parents need to calm down

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
My own allergy nearly threatened to take me down at work; I learned how to control my own bio-reactions and brought Ibuprofen. If your kid is so anxiety prone he just HEARS a bag being opened and over-reacts, the parents have got to start training him in proper coping methods. As I understood it, you have to actually EAT or TOUCH the peanut to subject yourself to hell in the case of an allergic reaction.

What if it wasn't peanuts? What if it was a bag of doritoes, or fritos, or dyhydrated fruit? Do the parents answer to that? The airlines could have put an announcement over; Attention passengers, we have a special snowflake child who can't eat peanuts. If there's a batch of individuals who loathe peanuts, we'll gladly put your next flight booked into first class free of charge and move others who actually plan to eat them this trip. Just allow this child to sit with you." The airline could have let them fly; but the announcement isn't law. That would have been included I think. "Eat them quietly, please. We'll offer scissors to cut them if you happen to sit by Jr."
those parents were feeling entitled as ******** that day
Old Blue Collar Joe
Shama_okami

If someone has an allergy that is so severe you have to make an announcement it is far from routine. And yeah, telling people to not do something is infringing on their rights.
We're getting one half of the story. He shows up with antihistamines, steroids, adrenaline and other medications? That's far from 'routine'.
One person doesn't trump the others.

Except that someone's right to life sure does trump someone else's "right" to eat what they want when they want.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
The problem wasn't that his allergies were that hair trigger, it was that he was EMOTIONALLY hair trigger about the peanuts. They asked because he couldn't handle seeing peanuts out of fear for his allergies. They asked that the announcement be made more out of worry for his emotional reaction (since on the flight to there he had freaked out when someone behind them had started eating peanuts), and less about his allergies (since he had all his medications with him needed to combat a reaction should he have one). At that point, I think the parents were the ones that caused the situation, and American Airlines handled it in the manner best suited to a company that knows people get sue happy over the dumbest, most out of their control s**t. If they had coached their kid on how to handle even SEEING peanuts, and gotten him into therapy (because his reaction is beyond normal...it's going into ridiculous territory and the parents aren't helping by asking everyone to baby the kid when they won't bother trying when he's an adult), this wouldn't have even been an issue. It's not the job of everyone else on the flight not to trigger your kid. It's the job of the parent to keep them calm and get them the help they need so they don't go into freak out land when people do what they do and eat what they want around him. ******** ridiculous. Seriously, if he was so bad about such triggers, they should have vacationed closer to home and gotten him to work on his trigger issues.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff