Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car

She's held her driver's license for 90 years

Most classic car owners are accustomed to the unusual looks other motorists cast toward their relics on the road. But when Margaret Dunning is behind the wheel of her 1930 Packard 740 Roadster, she draws more attention than her vehicle.

Dunning, age 102, may be one of a small handful of classic-car drivers who can lay claim to the fact they're older than their vehicles.

She was born in 1910, and lives in Plymouth, Michigan, twenty years before her beloved Packard. She's been driving since she was 8 years old, and officially received her license at 12, after her father died. In an appearance at the Concours d' Elegance last month, Dunning recounted her start as an automotive aficionado.

"I'm just a farm girl, and my dad had a lot of machinery, and I adored my dad," she said. "I became familiar with the tools, because the minute I said I didn't know what I was looking for, he'd say, 'Go back to the house.'"

She owns several classic vehicles. In addition to the Packard, she includes a '66 Cadillac DeVille, a '75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and a 1931 Model A in her collection. The one she still drives the most? Her everyday car, an '03 Cadillac DeVille. Occasionally, she still changes her own oil.

"Before old age overtook me, I could scoot under the car very nicely," she said.

source

Kawaii Shoujo

It's a really beautiful car... I bet I could easily drive it with some instruction, heck it might be easier for me to drive than my father's jeep.

Wintry Dragon

She got her license at 12? Different laws back then for sure.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm more surprised that she was able to drive at 8. This was long before they had power steering, and it takes a good deal of strength even nowadays having lighter weight vehicles to drive a car without it. She must have been a very muscular child, I'm guessing from farm work.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
That's a sweet looking classic.
It's also kind of cool to see a lady that old that is a gear head.

Interesting Informer

i'd love to have a car like that
It's a beautiful car, I'd love to have one like it.
I think it's really cool that she's 102 and still changing her own oil and collecting cars biggrin

HimeKeesho's Wife

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
Thats a way cool granny! heart

Greedy Consumer

makes u notice how much longer those cars lasted than the newer ones these days lol

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
What a sweet old woman! She sounds like a very interesting person.

Fashionable Hunter

That's one sweet ride.

Good god, granny got gears, yo xd

Thankful Gaian

She's kept it together longer than just about everyone younger than she.
Gawd. Her car is gorgeous. sweatdrop

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
And here I thought my dad was bad for making my mom keep her car for eighteen years, as well as his own sixteen-year-old one. lol Way to go, lady. You're freaking awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff