Welcome to Gaia! ::

╥﹏╥

aww dont cry e ~ e 0.5 50.0% [ 39 ]
(´;д;`) this sucks! 0.23076923076923 23.1% [ 18 ]
awww you are so cute! (。・ω・。)ノ♡ 0.26923076923077 26.9% [ 21 ]
Total Votes:[ 78 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Dapper Fairy

I would like to bring up a great contributor's argument.

Wing McCallister
So... now I'm going to throw my physicist mind into this one. Now that the stats have been released, I can say that I'm not too pleased with the dev's mode of choice. I'm going to ramble on about a bunch of different scenarios and show how they'd affect the outcome. Try not to get your panties in a wad too soon though. I still believe the outcome of the event is irrelevant to our lives. I do -- however -- think Gaia staff should have taken a bit more care in considering the formula.

First issue: number of attackers =/= number of killers. The formula selected doesn't even give an apples to apples comparison. It's just not correct. Either you should be comparing number of attacks to the number of active attackers, or weight the ratio to reflect the fact that it takes at least five attacks to make a kill.

For the vamps in the audience who are upset, go ahead and do the math when you replace the dev formula

#kills/#active_attackers + #heals/#active_healers

with

#attacks/#active_attackers + #heals/#active_healers

Now let's all sit back and watch the rage commence.

For those of you too lazy to take out the calculators:
VH: 323.85
KG: 320.24

To some extent though, I think this model is bullshit because it allows people to spam with 0 damage attacks. So let's toss it right the ******** out and consider one where the devs reweighted the kills to recognize that 5 attacks = 1 kill at best.

The formula becomes:
5*#kills/#active_attackers + #heals/#active_healers

VH: 259.6
KG: 239.7

At least this takes into account the difference between what a kill is vs what an attack is, but... once again... I find it to be shady bullshit. I've already complained about the arrangement of the mathematics to begin with. These models are equally convoluted and will just piss the same people off (or the people on the Kuro side... or the people who had accounts on both and just like math... whatevs... you get it.)

Really, I just think this whole normalization approach has challenges. No one is ever going to be happy because there will always be thoughts about how such and such a team got screwed over. I could come up with more bullshit that balances heals and kills to represent 50% of the final score. I'm too lazy to do it, but you know one team will come out on top and another won't. We could also spend hours discussing whether or not the active player definition made any sense. Personally, I don't think 10 is all that fantastic a threshold.

Had I been granted infinite power and were in charge of this event... this is how I would have done it (assuming that they had quashed the 0-point spam from the beginning):
Take the top 100 attackers and healers from each team.
Get their average score from the games they played.
Best team average wins.

For so many reasons, I find this to be the best scheme out there. It's completely skill based (the better the score, the better your team does). It brings not only team on team competition, but intra-team competition, and best of all, it doesn't depend on team size at all. As long as you're scoring well in the games, you're contributing to your team's victory.

Now, reading through this thread, there are definitely some final points that just need to be stated.
1. I don't find the poster of this thread to be a sore loser. The math of this event wasn't explained until after the fact, and it doesn't take much effort going through the VH forum to see the amount of confusion it caused (and the people it turned away from the event). Just look at the pic from the devs. Wouldn't you be frustrated too if your team put up more attacks, more kills, and more heals -- and then lost because some people were just lazy? lol I hate lazy people...
2. KG was not outnumbered 3:1. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's just wrong. It wasn't even 2:1. Let's be a little bit more sane with facts.
3. Let's look for some common ground: They killed this event way too early. I think we can all agree on that.

And now my ramble is over.

Thank you and goodnight.

An even better system would use damage points done over active attackers and points healed over active healers.

The way things were actually calculated makes no sense in comparison.

So I'm pretty sure that we won by most definitions.

Friendly Vampire

7,050 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Irene1792
Ahw! *huggles* Don't worry, we kick their butts all the time. wink

*huggles back* > w<

Nimble Fairy

BOMB4Y
i W Y N N
Nope, not as of yet
Wondering when that should happen, though

I don't know what the elves got but I think we got an armband. I just got mail from the Countess. Pretty nice band! yum_puddi

Ah, just saw it. Got a throne of bones
ominous

Tenacious Darling

13,000 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
--Beckys Nightmare--
No... no, don't cry little one! gonk *hugs*
Don't think of this as a loss; think of it as a lazy attempt to win. After all, us vampires do have better things to do than play these silly games with the elfies. :'3

I couldn't have POSSIBLY said it better myself. We Children of the Night are & have been from the very beginning, above these silly little games that those filthy coal-skinned elves like to play. I do not count our "loss" as such. If anything, Don Kuro & his followers might have won the battle, but they have lost something much more valuable. So let them celebrate & marinate in their supposed victory like fools. And while they are basking in the glory of their false security, we immortals shall be planning. Waiting...for the chance to take them down. And come, that chance will.

Desirable Sex Symbol

Hmm I don't get it, ever since day 1, we had a good score and then we lost. ; ~ ; _( :3」∠)_

Oh well, that was fun. GG all. ヽ( • ω • )ノ

Demonic Guest

18,750 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
Chibi Kid Dracula
Dante Alexander 1
Chibi Kid Dracula
Dante Alexander 1
Aw, don't cry. Also don't blame yourself. You had nothing to do with that. We fought hard and well. *wipes your tears away* Though we lost, you gotta admit, it was fun. Right? I had a grand time. emotion_c8 emotion_hug

yeah ; w ; <3

Need any tissue for your nose?

yes please ; u ; heart

*uses tissue to wipe your nose, then gives you more tissue* There you go.

Rainbow Lovergirl

9,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
User Image
BOMB4Y
I was away when they switched the event off.

Has anyone gotten victory/failure items? yum_puddi

marry me :c

Benevolent Stalker

PEYA SAKANO
--Beckys Nightmare--
Don't think of this as a loss; think of it as a lazy attempt to win. After all, us vampires do have better things to do than play these silly games with the elfies. :'3

I couldn't have POSSIBLY said it better myself. We Children of the Night are & have been from the very beginning, above these silly little games that those filthy coal-skinned elves like to play. I do not count our "loss" as such. If anything, Don Kuro & his followers might have won the battle, but they have lost something much more valuable. So let them celebrate & marinate in their supposed victory like fools. And while they are basking in the glory of their false security, we immortals shall be planning. Waiting...for the chance to take them down. And come, that chance will.

Oh, yes. Like Ambrosia said; "We lost the battle, but determined to win the war." We'll hide within the shadows, letting those putrid elves shower themselves with the bones of the fallen vampire-soldiers, and let them bathe in the blood of our brethren. Hell, we'll humor them if we have to. But once the very night when they're all fast asleep in their comfy beds, we will strike. Strike harder than an earthquake.

Tenacious Darling

13,000 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Magical Girl 50
--Beckys Nightmare--
PEYA SAKANO
--Beckys Nightmare--

Oh, yes. Like Ambrosia said; "We lost the battle, but determined to win the war." We'll hide within the shadows, letting those putrid elves shower themselves with the bones of the fallen vampire-soldiers, and let them bathe in the blood of our brethren. Hell, we'll humor them if we have to. But once the very night when they're all fast asleep in their comfy beds, we will strike. Strike harder than an earthquake.

Indeed we will. I wish you well, my immortal comrade. Long live the Von Helson Clan.

Benevolent Stalker

PEYA SAKANO
--Beckys Nightmare--
PEYA SAKANO
--Beckys Nightmare--

Indeed we will. I wish you well, my immortal comrade. Long live the Von Helson Clan.

I wish you well, too, pal. Long live. LONG LIVE! D:< *smashes table*

Enduring Pitcher

8,200 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
Chibi Kid Dracula
╥﹏╥ *blames self*

User ImageAww, do not blame yourself. My Lady said that this could hardly be considered as a loss.
*Bunny sympathetically pats your leg*

Friendly Vampire

7,050 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Lady Djin
Chibi Kid Dracula
╥﹏╥ *blames self*

User ImageAww, do not blame yourself. My Lady said that this could hardly be considered as a loss.
*Bunny sympathetically pats your leg*

thank you c:>

Brainy Traveler

11,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
BOMB4Y
I was away when they switched the event off.

Has anyone gotten victory/failure items? yum_puddi
I got a mourning ribbon for my arm. It was sad.

Brainy Traveler

11,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Chibi Kid Dracula
╥﹏╥ *blames self*
No need to blame the self. The self did not do it all alone. The self had help from other members. The self is awesome and needs to stop blaming the self for what the self did not do. smile

Hot Dog

DJ Cumpon3

marry me :c

Huh? Why? eek

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items