Apocalyptic Disaster

40,975 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Champion 300
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Street 200
CelesaAkitaka
Exhululath
CelesaAkitaka
Another point I was trying to figure out was forfeiting. I was trying to think of a way that would work out. I know I hate being in a battle thats overpowered and I try to just not play it right away. I also had someone who if I was winning the first fight, they would back out right away. The best way I can see with this is that if someone forfeits right away (getting to before choosing if they like their hand or not...right now if u dont like ur hand twice, you can just quit) say maybe cause they just faced the same person over and over due to the time of the day, then nothing happens. We could use the bonus that after nn turns, you do get awarded your points, that way, if you are cornered and the other person is just forcing you to watch as they pink you, you can still stop them from boosting. The other part to it though, if you quit under the nn turns, there should be some penalty to it. I think this works out because if someone is losing the first battle, they won't want the penalty and will have to still play for nn turns. You don't know what may happen in that gap of turns and something may go your way. As for quitting early. I don't know if there should be a counter to it or not, but if u quit under nn turns after deciding to keep or change your hand, maybe have the penalty of not earning points the next game or for xx turns the next game (I'm saying xx cause I don't know how many turns, but I don't want it related to nn).

I'm hoping to encourage playing the game and giving every game a chance. It's tough now to sit there and know you're going to lose, but at the same time, it's a pain to get the upper hand on a first battle, and if the battle isnt going their way, they can quit and the winner gets nothing.

About forfeiting, I'm going to repeat just what I already wrote in this thread: it must be treated as a win-lose situation. The player that forfeits loses, the other one wins. Essence prizes would be given, calculated as if the winning player found the 6 portals at that point. This makes sense for two reasons:
- if you forfeit a battle in real life, you lose de facto;
- if you forfeit, this means you thought you was going to lose anyway.

This isn't real life though, it's a game, and it's promoting a fun game that people will enjoy. Gaia is in it for what they can earn off of this. Unfortunately some people would rather trick the system and ruin the game for everyone than to keep to the fun of it. If you let boosters boost and let those who trick the system do as they please, it cuts off a large number of players.

I'd rather see the promotion of playing the game as I don't think this would happen, but say you get paired with someone you know and want to help them win. You could just quit right off the bat over and over and that would make for very quick earnings. This system still would end up causing for time to be spent. Yeah, people could boost regardless, but still, it takes more time to do. For those who do quit all the time without consequence, they're really just causing for higher payouts to the winning side causing for inflation causing for higher pack prices. It's finding the balance of giving a reward to the winner and penalizing the person forfeiting.

Uhm, I don't know if you misunderstood my words. I know it's a game. The problem in forfeiting is that the player not triggering it doesn't get a reward. However, if someone forfeits after he played at his/her best but has been cornered, is unable to possibly win and the opponent is just trying to kill more units before winning, then it would be right if the forfeiting player still gets something. So, people can misuse the forfeiting option but it's still a necessary option since players can also go for unfair play. If you think people could start games and forfeit to just get the bonus and quickly farm essence, there're two easy options to avoid this (and they're not mutually exclusive):
- don't allow forfeit in private match mode;
- don't allow forfeit before the first battle.

Codebreaking Genius

8,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
Exhululath

Uhm, I don't know if you misunderstood my words. I know it's a game. The problem in forfeiting is that the player not triggering it doesn't get a reward. However, if someone forfeits after he played at his/her best but has been cornered, is unable to possibly win and the opponent is just trying to kill more units before winning, then it would be right if the forfeiting player still gets something. So, people can misuse the forfeiting option but it's still a necessary option since players can also go for unfair play. If you think people could start games and forfeit to just get the bonus and quickly farm essence, there're two easy options to avoid this (and they're not mutually exclusive):

Private match shouldn't give anything since you're playing with friends anyways. As for not allowing before the first battle, people will still close out their windows and the game will time out eventually.

Apocalyptic Disaster

40,975 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Champion 300
CelesaAkitaka
Exhululath

Private match shouldn't give anything since you're playing with friends anyways. As for not allowing before the first battle, people will still close out their windows and the game will time out eventually.

I don't know, I never played a private match. Then I don't see the problem... do you think two friends could try to play together but through the random opponent mode? This will be very hard when the game will be open to everyone and more users will start to play it (hopefully). Even so, I guess they could make that two players that are gaia friends can't be matched together in the random opponent mode: do you think it would be unfair? If you think so, then it's unfair to not reward private match as well, don't you think?

About the other point: if you close the window, the game will play it automatically for the other player, am I right? (at least, if only one of the players leaves the game... otherwise I don't know). What's the point of doing such a thing? It seems unrelated to forfeit, to me... If one wants to forfeit, meeting the oponent as soon as possible, playing the first battle and the forfeiting would be more quick. I suppose (I hope) one can't start a new game if he has an unended one (just like the Booty Grab).

Finally, the point is you can't really force a player that doesn't want to play a game till the end to do it. You can only try to make it fair. To have it fair, you must reward at least the one who doesn't forfeit but, as we agree, sometimes forfeiting is the only right thing to do. So...

Codebreaking Genius

8,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
Exhululath
CelesaAkitaka
Exhululath

I don't know, I never played a private match. Then I don't see the problem... do you think two friends could try to play together but through the random opponent mode? This will be very hard when the game will be open to everyone and more users will start to play it (hopefully). Even so, I guess they could make that two players that are gaia friends can't be matched together in the random opponent mode: do you think it would be unfair? If you think so, then it's unfair to not reward private match as well, don't you think?

About the other point: if you close the window, the game will play it automatically for the other player, am I right? (at least, if only one of the players leaves the game... otherwise I don't know). What's the point of doing such a thing? It seems unrelated to forfeit, to me... If one wants to forfeit, meeting the oponent as soon as possible, playing the first battle and the forfeiting would be more quick. I suppose (I hope) one can't start a new game if he has an unended one (just like the Booty Grab).

Finally, the point is you can't really force a player that doesn't want to play a game till the end to do it. You can only try to make it fair. To have it fair, you must reward at least the one who doesn't forfeit but, as we agree, sometimes forfeiting is the only right thing to do. So...

I don't know how private matches go, so I can't say much on them.

If you close the window, I'm not too sure it plays out. Unless there's a set number of people being that rude, when I face someone I beat, they tend not to move and then when you get right over to their main portal, the game ends. It happens every time. It seems like its the game eventually just timing out. The issue happens when you let the clock run out all the time too, it eventually just fails loading the game and causes for some of the freezing that occurs when we play.

As for the final point, that's why I proposed the penalization of those who forfeit before nn turns are up and still allow for rewards after the nn turns. It gives the winning side a chance to earn while the losing side has to decide to give up and not earn next time, or at least try before giving up. You can't tell someone they HAVE to play, but you are saying if you committed to play and wasted someone else's time, then you you have to waste a bit of yours to earn the next time around.

Apocalyptic Disaster

40,975 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Champion 300
CelesaAkitaka

If you close the window, I'm not too sure it plays out. Unless there's a set number of people being that rude, when I face someone I beat, they tend not to move and then when you get right over to their main portal, the game ends. It happens every time. It seems like its the game eventually just timing out. The issue happens when you let the clock run out all the time too, it eventually just fails loading the game and causes for some of the freezing that occurs when we play.

As for the final point, that's why I proposed the penalization of those who forfeit before nn turns are up and still allow for rewards after the nn turns. It gives the winning side a chance to earn while the losing side has to decide to give up and not earn next time, or at least try before giving up. You can't tell someone they HAVE to play, but you are saying if you committed to play and wasted someone else's time, then you you have to waste a bit of yours to earn the next time around.

No matter if the opponent closes the game without forfeiting or if he has just a connection problem, I don't think that the time outs can change the winning conditions, you'd still have to obliterate the enemy's army or conquer 6 portals. Of course, if you kill all the opponent's summoned units and conquer all the portals he has, this counts as obliterating the opponent's army. So, if their main portal is the last one they owned, conquering it is likely to end the game.

Ok, now i understood and I can agree on this. It's just a variation of giving essence even in case of forfeit.Still, rather than penalizing a player that forfeits before nn turns, I'd simply not allow him to forfeit before nn turns. Of course, waiting nn turns is not much different than waiting till after the first (or the second) battle to allow forfeit

Codebreaking Genius

8,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
Exhululath
CelesaAkitaka

No matter if the opponent closes the game without forfeiting or if he has just a connection problem, I don't think that the time outs can change the winning conditions, you'd still have to obliterate the enemy's army or conquer 6 portals. Of course, if you kill all the opponent's summoned units and conquer all the portals he has, this counts as obliterating the opponent's army. So, if their main portal is the last one they owned, conquering it is likely to end the game.

Ok, now i understood and I can agree on this. It's just a variation of giving essence even in case of forfeit.Still, rather than penalizing a player that forfeits before nn turns, I'd simply not allow him to forfeit before nn turns. Of course, waiting nn turns is not much different than waiting till after the first (or the second) battle to allow forfeit

Then there seems to be a few issue players on here that like to wait until then. I notice that when I play, sometimes the other side doesnt move their herald from the start and when I get to the space right before, the game ALWAYS gives me the win. It just seems weird that everyone wastes their time for that long before letting me win. It feels like there is a timeout that issues. I'm not sure cause I'm not working on the coding ^^;

I understand not letting them forfeit but I like the idea of giving the person the choice still. It discourages from quitting, penalizes them, but doesn't force to play and hate the game.

Unforgiving Aggressor

zigazav1
Fine!! You all in this for the new rule?!! See if I care if you get totally messed-up with this! X( Just don't expect me to play it anymore if this new method comes into the game!

and nothing of value was lost.

anyway more variety that adds incentive or rewards for different types of gaming and strategy would be great, depending on how it's all done. i'm sure it can be tweaked later if it's a major disappointment

Familiar Phantom

I like the idea of everything resulting in points, so that no style of play is favorited. You have to make sure that winning and getting the maximum amount of essence you can are not two different things!

Magical Girl

10,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Champion 300
  • Market Browser 100
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1
Fine!! You all in this for the new rule?!! See if I care if you get totally messed-up with this! X( Just don't expect me to play it anymore if this new method comes into the game!

anyway more variety that adds incentive or rewards for different types of gaming and strategy would be great, depending on how it's all done. i'm sure it can be tweaked later if it's a major disappointment

Awesome idea! Gaia should add more rewards for achieving stuff, like getting rewarded for making it to a certain rank for playing so much, or keep playing a certain number of hours in days in a row? I dunno, it's up to Gaia staff.

Unforgiving Aggressor

zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1

Awesome idea! Gaia should add more rewards for achieving stuff, like getting rewarded for making it to a certain rank for playing so much, or keep playing a certain number of hours in days in a row? I dunno, it's up to Gaia staff.

i'm not a fan of huge rewards, just enough balance so you aren't only really rewarded for just one type of victory, etc.

Magical Girl

10,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Champion 300
  • Market Browser 100
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1

i'm not a fan of huge rewards, just enough balance so you aren't only really rewarded for just one type of victory, etc.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a HUGE reward either, but I'd like to be able to get other free exclusive items from HoC, after I already got the item that gives your avatar a HoC card-like state, but for achieving some things. It would get more players to play the game for more just Gold. I know there is some out there who play it for fun and not the Gold, I'm just saying about some (or many) others out there are like 'hungry' for Gold.

Unforgiving Aggressor

zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1

Yeah, I'm not expecting a HUGE reward either, but I'd like to be able to get other free exclusive items from HoC, after I already got the item that gives your avatar a HoC card-like state, but for achieving some things. It would get more players to play the game for more just Gold. I know there is some out there who play it for fun and not the Gold, I'm just saying about some (or many) others out there are like 'hungry' for Gold.

i don't like games being used for people to be lazy and farm gold. that's boring as hell.
i'm more concerned about essence distribution being a bit more fair for different play styles, for more cards and s**t.

more HoC items for the game would be fun, sure, but i thought, at least, that the point of this thread was for game mechanics and not gold or item rewards.

Magical Girl

10,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Champion 300
  • Market Browser 100
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1
the blossoming beelzebub
zigazav1

i don't like games being used for people to be lazy and farm gold. that's boring as hell.
i'm more concerned about essence distribution being a bit more fair for different play styles, for more cards and s**t.

more HoC items for the game would be fun, sure, but i thought, at least, that the point of this thread was for game mechanics and not gold or item rewards.

Forget me about this then, I'm unwatching this.

Vicious Pirate

13,850 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • 50 Wins 150
CelesaAkitaka
Exhululath

Just going to point out that some people play others on a regular basis for the purposes of training and good sport cause they can ensure a good game competitive game on their level......

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
In private mode there is no time limits unless one player hits "done".

I can say that a few weeks ago, I was unable to play the game because it simply wouldn't load past the load screen and turn completely black. I tried seeing if the game would work in versus, and of course I went off the tab as it searched for players. About 20 min later I come back and its trying to load a game. I refresh the page trying to get the game to work, but the screen kept turning black. The only thing I could see was the "beta" button a the bottom, so I was forced to quit without knowing how far that person had gone in the game without me. I wouldn't mind if they gave 0 essence for forced forfeits this way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff