Welcome to Gaia! ::

Song of the Century
Yuunilef Yediis
Fat free yogurt is loaded with corn-starch.
That's what I use to thicken my gravy. Except I don't sit and eat a bowl of gravy. I put it on meat.

Yeah, someone got me fat-free yogurt today instead of the natural, four-ingredient kind... lengthy ingredient label emo

my yogurt has like 2 ingredients. milk and bacterial culture

Gracious Gaian

umm probably because people associate the word fat with the image of an unhealthy person who is having too much fat... well some ppl didnt realize that they actually need fat too for a normal metabolic activity.. now if we consume more fats than our body actually need, then thats a problem. lots of ppl are having this problem, so they just assume that fat is something that is bad for them. well at least thats my opinion :3
The fat-is-evil mentality has been going on for decades, causing all kinds of scares and brainwashing, that despite scientific evidence, people still think fat in foods are bad and causes heart damage. Really, fat's been blamed for a lot of grievances that's really the fault of highly processed sugar. And companies don't want to give up that fad because they're making millions off of low-fat (high sugary) foods, and people are still wondering why people are getting fat and dying of heart attacks, strokes and diabetes confused
None of the natural foods that are high in fat like: meats, eggs, avocados, nuts, beans, and dairy are going to kill us. In fact, any food found in nature is good for us, regardless of fat, carb or sugar content. The foods that are killing us are the refined, processed, chemically-laced foods we see in on our shelves, labeled with 'fortified with vitamins and minerals' and 'part of a balanced meal'
Latopazora
The fat-is-evil mentality has been going on for decades, causing all kinds of scares and brainwashing, that despite scientific evidence, people still think fat in foods are bad and causes heart damage. Really, fat's been blamed for a lot of grievances that's really the fault of highly processed sugar. And companies don't want to give up that fad because they're making millions off of low-fat (high sugary) foods, and people are still wondering why people are getting fat and dying of heart attacks, strokes and diabetes confused
None of the natural foods that are high in fat like: meats, eggs, avocados, nuts, beans, and dairy are going to kill us. In fact, any food found in nature is good for us, regardless of fat, carb or sugar content. The foods that are killing us are the refined, processed, chemically-laced foods we see in on our shelves, labeled with 'fortified with vitamins and minerals' and 'part of a balanced meal'

My food intolerance was caused by them putting all that sugar in everything.
It causes mental problems as well. Too much fructose in the intestines will affect the absorption of tryptophan, the amino acid used in the synthesis of serotonin, the neurotransmitter that affects mood, sleep, and appetite.
I am on a high fat, high protein, high glucose diet, and I'm skinny.

Dapper Dabbler

Yuunilef Yediis
Song of the Century
Yuunilef Yediis
That's what I use to thicken my gravy. Except I don't sit and eat a bowl of gravy. I put it on meat.

Yeah, someone got me fat-free yogurt today instead of the natural, four-ingredient kind... lengthy ingredient label emo

my yogurt has like 2 ingredients. milk and bacterial culture

I like sugar and flavors too.
Sometimes a person can still be fat and be healthy. it depends on what they eat that makes them unhealthy or not, not their weight.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

jellykans
Song of the Century
Yuunilef Yediis

There was an old ice cream commercial I loved, with a little girl reading the ingredients. Tag line was that if you couldn't read them, it wasn't good to eat.

Was it a Breyer's commercial? I vaguely remember one like that.

Playful Guildswoman

Super Fightin Prototype
jellykans
Song of the Century
Yuunilef Yediis

There was an old ice cream commercial I loved, with a little girl reading the ingredients. Tag line was that if you couldn't read them, it wasn't good to eat.

Was it a Breyer's commercial? I vaguely remember one like that.

Maybe, I don't remember the brand.

Ruthless Gekko

Another argument in you favor would be that fat in foods doesn't make you fat. It clogs your arteries, but it doesn't add fat to your body. Sugar does that. Not all fats clog your arteries, either (good fats like butter, and things filled with essential oils). What I'm trying to say is, I agree with you ^^

Hopeful Visionary

23,700 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Contributor 150
Ghostfrost
Your brain needs fat to function, and many fats are so good for you and won't make you gain weight in moderation, and everything needs to be in moderation so it's not a big deal. Even so called terrible saturated fats are needed by the body in small amounts. :')
yup...moderation.

Hopeful Visionary

23,700 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Contributor 150
Yuunilef Yediis
Song of the Century
Fat and calories = fat person, ew, unhealthy, don't eat any or you'll become fat

What's that? Chemicals in my food? Well, if they don't make me fat, they must be healthier. Possibly carcinogenic? Well, I don't have cancer and I'm not fat so it can't be bad.

[///////sarcasm]

People want to feel better about what they're eating and eat more, but take in fewer calories. Low-fat yogurt just sounds nasty--sounds like it'd be liquidy and not deliciously thick. Coffee creamers, too--most of them take out the cream and all dairy except sodium caseinate and just throw in carrageenan and fun chemicals.

Honestly, I just eat things for the taste, and the fake replacements just taste bad. When I consume something with a fake sugar, I just think it's such a shame they didn't use real sugar because the taste is so much worse. I'd rather have the calories than the fake stuff--you can work off the calories.

(Though going along with the "I eat for the taste" thing, I love veggies.)

Interesting...
Yuunilef Yediis
Silvyee
You don't have to eat any processed foods whatsoever. No one is forcing you. Eating no added fats while eating food you make from scratch is perfectly healthy.

This is directed more at the processed food people, who think the Fat Free cheese whiz is better for you than the regular one.
you've clearly never seen fat white trash at the supermarket. their carts tend to be as this:
10lb bag of potatoes
tub of becel or imperial(whichever is cheaper)
knorr sidekicks
cheese whizz light
hellman's light
ketchup
hot dogs
bread
diet coke
kraft cheese singles light
danone(dannon) silhouette zero
fruitopia
chips
knorr dehydrated soup packets

then for some reason they also buy a lot of bleach

That list right there gave my mouth a bad taste. eek I did buy a 5 lbs bag of red potatos.... because they were on sale, but then again I make most of my foods from organic locally grown veggies and fruit. Hell I even have homemade ketchup!
eat the right fats filled with omega3 which you can get from tuna or fish. there are good fats and bad fats, and as always, too much of something is always a bad thing.

Puzzle_Clocks's Husband

Eternal Alchemist

10,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
I'd like to point out that it isn't any one food group's fault that people get fat. If you overeat and don't burn the calories, then you gain weight. Also, most of the chemicals in food do something even worse than just make you fat. You can eat and be full and be getting enough calories, but still be malnutritioned. Because the body doesn't know what to do with a lot of the chemicals and broken down bits of food that used to make up a whole food, but now they just add the protein from milk, instead of adding milk, which makes the protein not as useful.

Whole foods are more than just their sums. You can't break food down and then put it together again with different chemicals that are supposedly "just like" the original nutrients. Scientists haven't completely figured out that parts of food aren't actually the only thing in play for benefits. It is the reactions between all the different nutrients and your body that make "superfoods" super.

They have recently found out that there are two different omegas, omega 3 and omega 6 and it is a ratio between the two of them that your body needs, because if you have too much of one sort and not enough of the other, your body tends to go wonky.

I think a lot of people don't feel they have the time to do the research, to pay attention to what is in their food. And many people don't like the taste of natural anymore, because chemicals have altered their taste buds and even the chemistry of their brains.

Intellectual Connoisseur

Adding starch to preserved foods does not make the food unhealthy. Starch plays a structural role, and is produced in plants. It's also insoluble, which is how potatoes don't just dissolve in the soil...
Fats in your body also help you retain your overall human structure ._.
My point is, starch is the substitute of fat in plants, which is produced naturally. Decreasing the fat in processed foods may just take away the savoriness of the food, which companies make up for the loss of flavour with even more excessive chemicals. The most natural intake of fats should just be from unprocessed foods, but the typical low-fat potato chip definitely beats the oiliest kettle chips.
~Lex

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces