Welcome to Gaia! ::

When they take the fat out of things like Mayo and Yogurt, they replace it with thickeners like corn starch which are worse for you.

Same with low calorie yogurt.

Why the ******** am I gonna pay 6$ for a sixteen pack of yogurt that in total has under 100 calories?

The purpose of eating is to take in calories and nutrients.

If what I'm eating is just chemicals and corn starch, then there is no point in eating it.
Times aren't like what they used to be, is probably part of the answer.

While extra poundage used to mean you had enough wealth to feed yourself and not work, it now means that you work too much to cook at home= fast food, or, you can only afford the cheaper, pre-processed stuff high in fat and salt, like instant noodles, mac and cheese, you know, college staples.

not everyone has a young, springy metabolism, either, so not everyone views eating as a survival sort of thing either. it's easy to get enough calories in a day on a low budget. the hard part is getting the right number in the right proportions to fat content, etc.
Valentine Kitten
Times aren't like what they used to be, is probably part of the answer.

While extra poundage used to mean you had enough wealth to feed yourself and not work, it now means that you work too much to cook at home= fast food, or, you can only afford the cheaper, pre-processed stuff high in fat and salt, like instant noodles, mac and cheese, you know, college staples.

not everyone has a young, springy metabolism, either, so not everyone views eating as a survival sort of thing either. it's easy to get enough calories in a day on a low budget. the hard part is getting the right number in the right proportions to fat content, etc.

....and to add to this, the right kinds of fat.
Fats from avocados are actually very healthy for you.
Fats from chicken and beef are still actually healthy for you.

Its when chemically-enhanced fats, sugars and starches are added to a food-item to make them shelf-sustainable is the real problem.

The 'junk' they put in those frozen meals is rediculous... its a lab experiment gone bad.

I actually cringe when I see our welfare parents loading up on junk foods at the store with their food-stamps because its all the garbage foods that are truly making them very obese, and their children as well! If they took the time to learn that making a fresh meal, instead of from a box, was actually cheaper (truly!!!), and healthier, they would be so much better off!

Recently I went for my fasting labs this past April... Mind you, I prepare all meals from 100% scratch, I clean my own meats, seafood, etc... I make my own pasta using whole grain flour varieties that are not bleached/bromated (VERY easy, and cheap too!), once per week. I do alot of bulk cooking by making homemade marinara when tomatoes go on sale, or with canned tomatoes that have no added garbage to them. Make my own stocks, soups, stews, sauces, marinades, spice rubs, you name it! And, I'm not spending more than $80.00 per week for three adults (me, my husband my 20 yr old daughter) and its all fresh - including fresh and frozen vegetables! My fasting labs show excellent on the good cholesterol, and my low density cholesterol and triglycerides are EXTREMELY low.... thanks to 100% fresh/made-from-scratch.

So long as your fat sources are coming from NATURAL sources, just get enough of a minimum in, avoid processed foods completely, and you will truly maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Fashionable Prophet

Your brain needs fat to function, and many fats are so good for you and won't make you gain weight in moderation, and everything needs to be in moderation so it's not a big deal. Even so called terrible saturated fats are needed by the body in small amounts. :')
Ghostfrost
Your brain needs fat to function, and many fats are so good for you and won't make you gain weight in moderation, and everything needs to be in moderation so it's not a big deal. Even so called terrible saturated fats are needed by the body in small amounts. :')

Yeah..... fresh home-cured bacon. I fire up the smoker and everything! MMMMMMMM My husband enjoys bacon a couple times per week, whole eggs with the homemade omelet I make him, and uses real butter on his marble rye toast. His cholesterol is extremely healthy... thats thanks in part of a 100% made from scratch household. No junk food here, no processed foods...

Seasonal Leaf

27,250 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
yeah, i don't get why some people demonize fat. it's part of a healthy diet as long as it's in moderation (and the right kind of fat). AND it's freaking delicious! never giving up butter <3

Dapper Dabbler

Fat and calories = fat person, ew, unhealthy, don't eat any or you'll become fat

What's that? Chemicals in my food? Well, if they don't make me fat, they must be healthier. Possibly carcinogenic? Well, I don't have cancer and I'm not fat so it can't be bad.

[///////sarcasm]

People want to feel better about what they're eating and eat more, but take in fewer calories. Low-fat yogurt just sounds nasty--sounds like it'd be liquidy and not deliciously thick. Coffee creamers, too--most of them take out the cream and all dairy except sodium caseinate and just throw in carrageenan and fun chemicals.

Honestly, I just eat things for the taste, and the fake replacements just taste bad. When I consume something with a fake sugar, I just think it's such a shame they didn't use real sugar because the taste is so much worse. I'd rather have the calories than the fake stuff--you can work off the calories.

(Though going along with the "I eat for the taste" thing, I love veggies.)

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Because people think there's only one kind of fat, and don't know that there's good fats and bad fats. Bad fats (like trans fat) can cause plaque buildup in your arteries and make your heart work harder, but good fats (like monounsaturated fat) are good for the brain.

Greedy Cat

Ghostfrost

This. Like, people cringe when they hear cholesterols and are hypervigilant about avoiding it like the plague. It's silly.
Song of the Century
Fat and calories = fat person, ew, unhealthy, don't eat any or you'll become fat

What's that? Chemicals in my food? Well, if they don't make me fat, they must be healthier. Possibly carcinogenic? Well, I don't have cancer and I'm not fat so it can't be bad.

[///////sarcasm]

People want to feel better about what they're eating and eat more, but take in fewer calories. Low-fat yogurt just sounds nasty--sounds like it'd be liquidy and not deliciously thick. Coffee creamers, too--most of them take out the cream and all dairy except sodium caseinate and just throw in carrageenan and fun chemicals.

Honestly, I just eat things for the taste, and the fake replacements just taste bad. When I consume something with a fake sugar, I just think it's such a shame they didn't use real sugar because the taste is so much worse. I'd rather have the calories than the fake stuff--you can work off the calories.

(Though going along with the "I eat for the taste" thing, I love veggies.)

Fat free yogurt is loaded with corn-starch.
That's what I use to thicken my gravy. Except I don't sit and eat a bowl of gravy. I put it on meat.

Dapper Dabbler

Yuunilef Yediis
That's what I use to thicken my gravy. Except I don't sit and eat a bowl of gravy. I put it on meat.

Yeah, someone got me fat-free yogurt today instead of the natural, four-ingredient kind... lengthy ingredient label emo

Excitable Strawberry

You don't have to eat any processed foods whatsoever. No one is forcing you. Eating no added fats while eating food you make from scratch is perfectly healthy.

Playful Guildswoman

Ghostfrost

What you said! Without regular, small portions of healthy, undoctored fats and oils, your skin and brain will starve, your hair go dull, dry, and lifeless.

Playful Guildswoman

Song of the Century
Yuunilef Yediis

Yeah, someone got me fat-free yogurt today instead of the natural, four-ingredient kind... lengthy ingredient label emo

There was an old ice cream commercial I loved, with a little girl reading the ingredients. Tag line was that if you couldn't read them, it wasn't good to eat.
Silvyee
You don't have to eat any processed foods whatsoever. No one is forcing you. Eating no added fats while eating food you make from scratch is perfectly healthy.

This is directed more at the processed food people, who think the Fat Free cheese whiz is better for you than the regular one.
you've clearly never seen fat white trash at the supermarket. their carts tend to be as this:
10lb bag of potatoes
tub of becel or imperial(whichever is cheaper)
knorr sidekicks
cheese whizz light
hellman's light
ketchup
hot dogs
bread
diet coke
kraft cheese singles light
danone(dannon) silhouette zero
fruitopia
chips
knorr dehydrated soup packets