Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Trash

I've recently decided to go vegetarian, because I've been learning a lot over the course of my nutrition class. Meat can cause cancer, and eating a plant-based diet can improve my health drastically. I know it's going to be difficult for numerous reasons, but I really want to stick with this. I also want to find more reasons to be a vegetarian.
In addition to that, I was wondering if anyone knew some nice recipes I could make? I'm kind of a picky eater, so lately I've pretty much been eating just salad and fruits. Any help at all would be great!

Rogue

It's not really going to make a difference to cut meat off or not.I was a vegetarian for 6 years,and unless you starve yourself you cant just eat differently and watch weight go down,exercise for an hour a day or else you wont see a drastic result.and it is in some cases very dangerous to be a vegetarian.If you plan on still wanting to eat fish for a protein just simply become a peskatarian(or however you spell it).I'm sure you have or will learn that your body does need protein.nuts are a good source.And just because being a vegetarian is a "healthier" way it isn't necessarily the healthiest.I mean you can load up on deserts.I learned you crave more being a vegetarian and sweets were always my thing xD.Going out to get food is tough if you wanna be strict on it.things can't be cooked with meats,meat broths,etc etc.I was a vegan for about 2 years as well...and that crap was annoying. more problematic then people can imagine.but i know society is becoming more conscience about it so stores carry more stuff.
As for recipes things i find simple are stir fries because it's tasty.or veggie tempura.eggplant lasagna is one of my favorites.or go super simple. I learned in certain seasons more veggies and fruits will be carried if wanting to buy fresh.so just gotta know what grows when and you can plan on what you wanna make.knowing there's a lot more then just eating salad makes it easier to make the decision.ohhhhh and terryaki tofu~ yum! >w<. ok btw sorry it's super long.

Tipsy Trash

High Alert
It's not really going to make a difference to cut meat off or not.I was a vegetarian for 6 years,and unless you starve yourself you cant just eat differently and watch weight go down,exercise for an hour a day or else you wont see a drastic result.and it is in some cases very dangerous to be a vegetarian.If you plan on still wanting to eat fish for a protein just simply become a peskatarian(or however you spell it).I'm sure you have or will learn that your body does need protein.nuts are a good source.And just because being a vegetarian is a "healthier" way it isn't necessarily the healthiest.I mean you can load up on deserts.I learned you crave more being a vegetarian and sweets were always my thing xD.Going out to get food is tough if you wanna be strict on it.things can't be cooked with meats,meat broths,etc etc.I was a vegan for about 2 years as well...and that crap was annoying. more problematic then people can imagine.but i know society is becoming more conscience about it so stores carry more stuff.
As for recipes things i find simple are stir fries because it's tasty.or veggie tempura.eggplant lasagna is one of my favorites.or go super simple. I learned in certain seasons more veggies and fruits will be carried if wanting to buy fresh.so just gotta know what grows when and you can plan on what you wanna make.knowing there's a lot more then just eating salad makes it easier to make the decision.ohhhhh and terryaki tofu~ yum! >w<. ok btw sorry it's super long.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm cutting off meat because the protein in meat is not necessary and it's actually a carcinogen, so eventually it causes cancer. It's possible to get all those proteins elsewhere, and that's what I plan on doing! c: I'm not going to load up on deserts, because I know better xD
I'm not sure about being a pescetarian or not, it sounds like it would be alright, but hnng. I'd have to look into it some more.
Thank you for the recipe suggestions! Teriyaki tofu seems interesting. I've never had it, so I'll at least try it!
A lot of learning to eat vegetarian for me was learning to think outside the Main-dish-protein-with-vegetable-and-starch-sides box. Also that almost anything you make as a non-veg*n has a vegetarian counter part. Like quesdillas? Load them up with veggies and black beans instead of meat, same with tacos. You can substitute lentils for ground beef in many foods, and mushrooms can give a similar "meatiness" to meals. Many soups are made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken.

Definitely do your research on sources of iron, calcium (if you don't do milk), protein, and b12. For example spinach is great for iron. I throw some into almost anything I cook.

I find the best way to get recipes is to either subscribe to vegetarian blogs, or boards on pinterest.

Tipsy Trash

TheEdgeOfTheAbyss
A lot of learning to eat vegetarian for me was learning to think outside the Main-dish-protein-with-vegetable-and-starch-sides box. Also that almost anything you make as a non-veg*n has a vegetarian counter part. Like quesdillas? Load them up with veggies and black beans instead of meat, same with tacos. You can substitute lentils for ground beef in many foods, and mushrooms can give a similar "meatiness" to meals. Many soups are made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken.

Definitely do your research on sources of iron, calcium (if you don't do milk), protein, and b12. For example spinach is great for iron. I throw some into almost anything I cook.

I find the best way to get recipes is to either subscribe to vegetarian blogs, or boards on pinterest.

Ohh yeah o: I'm also trying to not drink milk or eat a lot of dairy, but I'll be sure to look for food that provides calcium! I've never heard of lentils before, so I'll have to look for those the next time I get groceries smile
I've heard of soups that sound good, too. Do you have any suggestions? surprised

Ahh, blogs and printerest. Hmm I'll see if I can make an account on some sites for that smile
Thank you so much!

Anxious Kitten

I was a vegetarian for about 3 years (I'm now a vegan) and I don't think I really had any recipes. I just kind of ate a lot of pasta and meatless brands like: Morning Star, Boca, Tofurky, ect. Tofurky is actually a vegan brand and they make some really yummy deli slices that you can make amazing sandwiches with. If you can find Tofuky at your store I highly recommend trying them out. Good luck with your transition. cat_3nodding

Tipsy Trash

CatWhoree
I was a vegetarian for about 3 years (I'm now a vegan) and I don't think I really had any recipes. I just kind of ate a lot of pasta and meatless brands like: Morning Star, Boca, Tofurky, ect. Tofurky is actually a vegan brand and they make some really yummy deli slices that you can make amazing sandwiches with. If you can find Tofuky at your store I highly recommend trying them out. Good luck with your transition. cat_3nodding

I actually saw tofurky at the store today and passed it because I thought it had actual turkey in it! xD
My bad, I'll probably go back to the store and get some soon.
I've never heard of Morning Star and Boca though.. Thank you so much!

Newbie Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Hygienic 200
One site...One adventure...
Yummly

I am vegan, but this site keeps a lot of all recipes even possibly to understand. Just search vegan and it shall pop up. Or vegetarian razz

Dapper Citizen

Being vegan and also being interested in starting a vegan cafe, eventually. I'm sure I can come up with some recipes.

Anyone suggestion boca lacks any taste buds. Just saying... Morning star is ok, if you aren't avoiding milk and eggs.. (which are also linked to cancer and diabetes.)

Think of things you do like and just look for said recipe and add "vegetarian" onto the search.

If theres recipes for "vegan lamb-style stew". You can find anything.

I suggest looking into PCRM, Niel Barnard, and Gary Yourofsky(he's vegan for ethical reasons but doesn't miss the health points in his presentation).

On the topic of "milk for calcium" it's a whole lot of hoohaa. Do to the acidity in animal food(namely animal proteins) the human body needs phosphorus to nullify the acidity in the blood, which the body actually leaches from the bones in the form of calcium phosphate, you literally LOSE calcium when you consume dairy. It's why the countries with the highest dairy consumptions also have the highest osteoporosis cases.

So many things contain calcium, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. People who freak out are showing just how little they actually know about nutrition.

In a first world country people need to worry more about to much protein, rather than deficiency. I use to worry... and than I realized I'm eating to MUCH protein for my activity level, and my weight and height.

On the topic of fish(since I just noticed someone said something about it). fish are still animals. They contain high quantities of fats. Not to mention mercury. Until you find a fish tree... At which point let me know....

Tipsy Trash

Razauw
One site...One adventure...
Yummly

I am vegan, but this site keeps a lot of all recipes even possibly to understand. Just search vegan and it shall pop up. Or vegetarian razz

Awesome! Thank you. I'll be sure to look around this site.

Tipsy Trash

zurui_hebi
Being vegan and also being interested in starting a vegan cafe, eventually. I'm sure I can come up with some recipes.

Anyone suggestion boca lacks any taste buds. Just saying... Morning star is ok, if you aren't avoiding milk and eggs.. (which are also linked to cancer and diabetes.)

Think of things you do like and just look for said recipe and add "vegetarian" onto the search.

If theres recipes for "vegan lamb-style stew". You can find anything.

I suggest looking into PCRM, Niel Barnard, and Gary Yourofsky(he's vegan for ethical reasons but doesn't miss the health points in his presentation).

On the topic of "milk for calcium" it's a whole lot of hoohaa. Do to the acidity in animal food(namely animal proteins) the human body needs phosphorus to nullify the acidity in the blood, which the body actually leaches from the bones in the form of calcium phosphate, you literally LOSE calcium when you consume dairy. It's why the countries with the highest dairy consumptions also have the highest osteoporosis cases.

So many things contain calcium, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. People who freak out are showing just how little they actually know about nutrition.

In a first world country people need to worry more about to much protein, rather than deficiency. I use to worry... and than I realized I'm eating to MUCH protein for my activity level, and my weight and height.

On the topic of fish(since I just noticed someone said something about it). fish are still animals. They contain high quantities of fats. Not to mention mercury. Until you find a fish tree... At which point let me know....

Boca and Morning Star? Sorry I'm lost xD

Oh I've never thought about that before! I wonder what recipes I'll look up lol

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to stay off dairy completely, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't cheated already with cheese pizza redface
I've been drinking almond milk instead of regular milk and it's great! I love it. I should start taking vitamins and minerals regularly though. I'm just not sure on the recommended doses or whatever x _ x

Hmm, I didn't think about eating too much protein. Can that be really bad?

You're right about the fish. I've eaten a few meals containing fish recently, but it's just weird to give up ALL meat. I guess I really should though! I need to have more willpower. If I find a fish tree, I'll surely let you know xD

Shameless Lunatic

Being vegetarian my whole life one bit of advice I would give is make sure you keep up the protein because it is something you need and make sure you keep up your iron levels since those are important things meat provides in a lot of peoples diets...the website I usually recommend to people becoming vegetarian is

https://www.vegsoc.org/

it has lots of resources and under the food section is a number of good recipes...pinterest is also worth looking at I've picked up a few recipes from there recently.

Tipsy Trash

white_wolf1989
Being vegetarian my whole life one bit of advice I would give is make sure you keep up the protein because it is something you need and make sure you keep up your iron levels since those are important things meat provides in a lot of peoples diets...the website I usually recommend to people becoming vegetarian is

https://www.vegsoc.org/

it has lots of resources and under the food section is a number of good recipes...pinterest is also worth looking at I've picked up a few recipes from there recently.

Yeah, proteins is really important when it comes to being a vegetarian.

I've been looking at that website, and I really like it! I'm looking at recipes now. Thank you so much heart

Shy Regular

10,775 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
I'm a lapsed veggie - only recently gone back to the dark side - and my husband is a veggie. Quorn is good. You can use it in loads of things and it's rather nice - just avoid the chicken slices, because they taste a bit chemically.
Sipyy
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

Ohh yeah o: I'm also trying to not drink milk or eat a lot of dairy, but I'll be sure to look for food that provides calcium! I've never heard of lentils before, so I'll have to look for those the next time I get groceries smile
I've heard of soups that sound good, too. Do you have any suggestions? surprised

Ahh, blogs and printerest. Hmm I'll see if I can make an account on some sites for that smile
Thank you so much!

Almond milk and soy milk are fantastic sources for calcium. Much more than dairy, actually. There are nut cheeses, too. Almond cheese, cashew cheese, et cetera. It's cheaper and easier to make the cheeses from home! So yummy.

If you want a cheddar taste for the cheese, look to add Nutritional Yeast to these meals.

Look into this website, too, for helpful advice on dairy-free cooking and baking. There is a page that helps teach you to replace butters and such for plant-based oils or applesauces and fruits.

The gluten-free stuff is optional. I just put in its place all-purpose flours, whole-wheat pastry flour, white whole-wheat flour, et cetera.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff