Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
i've been trying to eat healthier lately.

examples:
i switched from potato-bread to multi-grain

i buy granola bars instead of cookies
(only cuts off about 40 calories, but i have a tendency to eat a lot of cookies at once as opposed to 1 granola bar a day, so it actually ends up being like 400 calories less lol)

when i use the bagged frozen dinners i like, i include less/none of the sauce included so i'm not taking in as much sodium

i switched from margarine to vegetable-oil spread

i stopped eating Ramen altogether
(but i do buy Yakisoba, which is basically the same thing with a small amount of vegetables in it, once or twice a month)

and i'm gonna change my cereal from fruity pebbles to Total or Raisen Bran or something
(whichever is healthier)

also going to change: no more freezer meals. even the ones with weight watchers points on them. too much sodium.

P.S: I'm allergic to onions, peppers, and avacado

but i have issues with making actual meals.
i can make healthy chicken using only herbs and spices instead of breading,
and i can make eggs just about any way you could make them,
but this whole chicken-and-eggs thing gets booooooring.

also i need the recipes to be low-sodium. i have a rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure,
and my grandmother told me to stay low-sodium to help my stats or something like that.

can anyone help me out or point me toward recipe sites
(not anything on tumblr please, i tried it and don't like it)

Beloved Lunatic

neither margerine nor vegetable oil spread are good for you.
a bunch of my weight loss was due to having to cut out stuff my gallbladder would have had to process.
completely cut anything with vegetable oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, ANY OIL OTHER THAN OLIVE OR COCONUT.
seriously, the weight will fall off faster than you know what to do with.
a lot of shelf-stable things like mayonnaise and candy bars will be completely off-limits. re-train yourself to see fruit as a big treat. no whipped cream unless homemade, no processed puddings, anything that can sit unrefrigerated for a week and not go bad is bad for your body.
read the ingredients for everything. don't binge on fruit. eat meat on its own without bread. cut out corn syrups completely. if you need buttered bread, get some 2$ grocery store bakery bread{ciabatta demi-baguettes, mmmmmm}, break it in half, and put that half in a 400 degree oven for ten minutes so it gets all toasty. get extra virgin olive oil, put some in a bowl, and dip your warm bread in that. your skin, hair, and weight will benefit greatly from this. don't worry so much about calories, but rather about the ingredients that you are putting in your body.

get a cheapo mccormick sea salt grinder and add salt to your meals after you taste them if you feel they taste bland. eat bunches of good protein, like fish. but not frozen in a box covered in breading fish, instead get a bit of fresh fish from the grocery store seafood desk. epicurious.com has a ton of fantastic recipes and any kind of fish you pick up, i can personally help you figure out how to cook it and have it taste really good.

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
fairest of

a bunch of my weight loss was due to having to cut out stuff my gallbladder would have had to process.
completely cut anything with vegetable oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, ANY OIL OTHER THAN OLIVE OR COCONUT.
a lot of shelf-stable things like mayonnaise and candy bars will be completely off-limits. re-train yourself to see fruit as a big treat. no whipped cream unless homemade, no processed puddings, anything that can sit unrefrigerated for a week and not go bad is bad for your body.
read the ingredients for everything. don't binge on fruit. eat meat on its own without bread. cut out corn syrups completely. if you need buttered bread, get some 2$ grocery store bakery bread{ciabatta demi-baguettes, mmmmmm}, break it in half, and put that half in a 400 degree oven for ten minutes so it gets all toasty. get extra virgin olive oil, put some in a bowl, and dip your warm bread in that. your skin, hair, and weight will benefit greatly from this. don't worry so much about calories, but rather about the ingredients that you are putting in your body.

get a cheapo mccormick sea salt grinder and add salt to your meals after you taste them if you feel they taste bland. eat bunches of good protein, like fish. but not frozen in a box covered in breading fish, instead get a bit of fresh fish from the grocery store seafood desk. epicurious.com has a ton of fantastic recipes and any kind of fish you pick up, i can personally help you figure out how to cook it and have it taste really good.

so would it be healthier to use actual butter instead of the vegetable oil spread?

and i don't use salt, when i think something is bland i use salt-free mrs dash. the ONLY thing i use salt on at all is hard-boiled eggs, and i barely ever have those.

edit; and i just talked to my grandma and she said the veggie oil spread she buys me isn't that bad since it has no hydrogenated oils, but i also asked her to buy olive oil so i can cook with that instead of the vegetable oil i usually use.

Beloved Lunatic

Morbid Obesity
fairest of

so would it be healthier to use actual butter instead of the vegetable oil spread?

and i don't use salt, when i think something is bland i use salt-free mrs dash. the ONLY thing i use salt on at all is hard-boiled eggs, and i barely ever have those.

edit; and i just talked to my grandma and she said the veggie oil spread she buys me isn't that bad since it has no hydrogenated oils, but i also asked her to buy olive oil so i can cook with that instead of the vegetable oil i usually use.

in all honesty, yeah, its healthier to use butter than any vegetable-oil-containing spreads. just go for the straight up stick land o lakes, they don't try to put anything tricky in there. i was brought up on country crock and blue bonnet, and butter is not only tastier, but also healthier. i don't know why spread exists to be honest.

Wealthy Regular

12,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
fairest of
Morbid Obesity
fairest of

in all honesty, yeah, its healthier to use butter than any vegetable-oil-containing spreads. just go for the straight up stick land o lakes, they don't try to put anything tricky in there. i was brought up on country crock and blue bonnet, and butter is not only tastier, but also healthier. i don't know why spread exists to be honest.

i personally prefer the spreads because it's easier to, well, spread. when i use butter, i tear up the bread/english muffin because it's not soft, and if i put it in the microwave it just melts instead of softening. but i guess i'm gonna switch as soon as im out of my spread, i really wanna lose weight, but i don't want to go on a "diet". i just wanna eat healthier overall, and lose the weight naturally and slowly. it only took a YEAR to put on 100 pounds, will probably take years to lose 80 pounds.

on the plus side, my stretch marks aren't as visible anymore, they're finally starting to fade. it was helped a bit by some tanning.

Beloved Elder

11,900 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
allrecipes.com has a ton of recipes you can search and they also offer nutritional info on each recipe

Demonic Businessman

28,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
There's also certain foods that you can have that help boost metabolism or just simply help you burn more fat when you exercise (which you should do, even if it's just ten minute work out videos on you tube to start)

My personal favorite is having a really filling smoothie when I get a craving for sugar -- no jamba juice crap! Basically combine your favorite frozen fruits in a blender, add a banana, a couple of spoons of low-fat, PLAIN yogurt, and top it off with some orange juice and blend away. My favorite blend happens to be strawberry/blueberry/pineapple/banana, but I'm pretty sure it works for anything.

Drinking lots of tea (without milk or sugar) helps a lot! Green tea, in particular, is super easy to drink because it's light on the flavor. White tea is also good for you, and black tea is the least good for you, but is still pretty good (you just have to watch out about your Iron intake, because the tea kind of makes it harder to absorb iron).

Blueberries are a really good food to eat, I tend to mix them up with a little bit of plain yogurt and eat that as a snack.

And, of course, veggies and fruit to snack on -- eating apples kind of puts off hunger and if you eat pineapple before you eat a meal, you will digest better.

And, of course, you really need to drink as much water as you can -- it also helps with a hunger check. If you're hungry, drink some water, wait...and then see if you're still hungry.

Liberal Mage

9,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Pam Spray is a good substitute for butter/oil when cooking on the stove top.

Also try switching from beef and pork to chicken and ground turkey meat. Believe me just using ground turkey instead of beef can cut calories by quite a bit.

A good warm breakfast can also be better than cereal. It fills you up longer and you get a more satisfying feeling. Personally I eat a piece of 45 calorie Sara Lee bread(toasted), and Chop up two Hillshire Farm Turkey lit'l Smokies saute them in Pam and then add Half a serving of egg beaters and let it cook like an omelet. When its done I put the egg on the toast and depending on the day I put a little bit of jelly or picante sauce. My breakfast comes out to about 100 calories and keeps me full till lunch time.

Also i found that complete cutting out things that you like can make it harder to stay on track so if cookies are something you like find a lower calorie option or buy some ingredients to make a lower calorie version.

Also i found that the calorie counter app (MyFitnessPal) helps it keeps track of your calories and other nutrition facts so the night before or in the morning you can plan what you are going to eat for the day so if you are eating less calories that day you can have that cookie you have been craving. I do it to so I can have that piece of red velvet cake.

Shirtless Smoker

4,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
2 Words,
Calorie Deficit.
Eat what you want ( Clean food ) But dont eat so much.

Benevolent Hunter

tons of quick and healthy recipes: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/over-100-quick-and-easy-healthy-foods.html

Timid Citizen

4,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Servings are another thing one must watch out for when dieting. I'm going through the same thing you are now.

I'm trying to lose weight in an environment that limits what I can actually fix. I live with my grandparents and aunt, all of whom are over eighty years old. Both my grandmother and grandfather have had heart attacks, ( one of the main reasons I wanna get in shape) which has severely limited what things they can eat. So when I cook I have to try and cook something that works for everyone.

Oops, sorry I started to ramble a bit. Dieting and eating more fruits and veggies won't do much good if you don't eat the right amount. I find that for myself eating too many carbs in a meal usually tricks my body into thinking I'm still hungry when in fact I'm not. So I would be weary of carbs.
I know you probably don't want to venture into something so strict, but check out Paleo.

Not necessarily just for weightloss, but energy and such.
No carbs, dairy, processed foods. Basically just meat, eggs, veggies, and fruit. But some vegetables are cut out.

I thought it would be really hard, but it wasn't. Just gotta suck it up and do it. I felt great.
If you have a smartphone you should get the sparkrecipes app, or just visit the website, I plan a lot of my meals and they have sections for specific dietary requirements and omg a lot of the food is just amazing, I made sugar and dairy free crepe's a few days ago for breakfast. There's also nothing like fresh handmade ingredients so experimentation is key. Try making your own meal bases (google recipes) switch up ingredients to your satisfaction and freeze or store them for later. Maybe make your own microwave meals ^.^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff