Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kitten

11,600 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hello! So ive been semi gluten free for about 6 months ( i stopped having bread and such ) And well over the weekend i was actually diagnosed with Celiac disease. So now i am so lost on what i can, cannot eat. And i feel like im starving myself just by eating barely anything. Does anyone have any websites with recipes and stuff?

Ive looked up safe/unsafe foods but it really didnt get me anywhere. Im more or less looking for recipes c:!

I do know i cant have any grains at all? But i can have stuff with corn!
Interesting because I'm doing a research report on celiac disease!

Once I'm finished, I'll let you know what foods and things to eat!

Kitten

11,600 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
StreetchIck123

Oh my gosh that would be great! There was a book i read.. if it can help you at all smile Its a fast read and it was free to download.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/343142
P a n d a s P a n t i e s
StreetchIck123

Oh my gosh that would be great! There was a book i read.. if it can help you at all smile Its a fast read and it was free to download.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/343142
I have a friend whose been on a gluten free diet (she's allergic) so I'll ask her in a couple hours when I head to school!

Thanks! I'll actually use that to my report. I've been using pubmed.gov and celiac.gov (?) as a way of resources. I haven't done the research yet since it's due on may 8th, but I'll immediately let you know afterwards!

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Well, from what little I know since my brother-in-law is celiac as well, you can still eat rice and quinoa anytime you want, it is possible to find gluten-free oats (since they don't contain gluten themselves, they're just often grown next to wheat fields), there is now all-purpose gluten-free flour that you can use on a 1 for 1 proportion for almost all recipes that would require flour. I know for my sister and brother-in-law, going the gluten free road meant a lot of home-cooked stuff.

Also, be on the lookout for ingredients on all prepared sauces etc. You'd be surprised at how many places you can find it... Learn exactly which grains contain gluten and stay away from those. By knowing this, you'll be able not to cut away grains that you can actually eat. Most big grocery stores now have gluten-free sections as well, nowadays. You can find gluten free cereals, bread, pasta, sausage, cookies, sauces etc. It just needs some getting used to.

And for some recipes, I personally love going on Tastespotting Just type "gluten free" or "GF" in their search bar, and it will give you a bunch of beautiful pictures of recipes which link to various food blogs. It's great for inspiration.
P a n d a s P a n t i e s

My boyfriend has a wheat allergy and a dairy intolerance, so here are some of the resources that I've pulled together.

This page is focused on wheat free specifically, but all recipes have a checklist at the top which notes whether it's gluten free or not.

A list of alternative flours, and whether or not they are gluten free

Due to personal matters I haven't done a lot for it recently, but here's a blog I ran with some recipes.

Kitten

11,600 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Ive been trying gluten free for a few weeks now. It is a pain in the a** I must agree. There are a lot of rice pastas you can use instead of regular. Quinoa like the other person said is useable. I tend to double up on protein (and should do the same for veges). Chex is gluten free cereal. If i ate out I would eat at Chipole and get a salad bowl. I think Red Robbin will do gluten free rolls on burgers. There are recipes out there for gluten free bread recipes. Some of the mixes are expensive but you can make your own too,
Two years ago my brother got married. My sister-in-law and her entire family are all diagnosed with Celiac. It was definitely a huge learning curve, and It takes some adjusting, but it can be done - and it can be DELICIOUS! One of the best recipe books I've gotten to cook meals for everyone was surprisingly because I am both health conscious, and lazy:

Wheat Belly: Meals in 30 Minutes or Less

It was a cheap and easy recipe book that allowed me to make healthy gluten-free meals for them. Oftentimes processed food products that are Gluten Free are terribly unhealthy.

One of my favorite recipes (not from that book)

Cream Cheese crockpot Chicken
1 ½ lb. uncooked frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 ½ c. diced tomatoes OR 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
16 oz. jar salsa
8 oz. full-fat cream cheese
2 c. cooked brown rice

Directions:
Put frozen chicken breasts in crock pot, cover with black beans, tomatoes and salsa. Cook on high 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked.
Place block of cream cheese on top. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Stir to incorporate cream cheese into sauce. The stirring will cause the chicken to shred.
Serve with ½ c. brown rice.
Flygoedla
Two years ago my brother got married. My sister-in-law and her entire family are all diagnosed with Celiac. It was definitely a huge learning curve, and It takes some adjusting, but it can be done - and it can be DELICIOUS! One of the best recipe books I've gotten to cook meals for everyone was surprisingly because I am both health conscious, and lazy:

Wheat Belly: Meals in 30 Minutes or Less

It was a cheap and easy recipe book that allowed me to make healthy gluten-free meals for them. Oftentimes processed food products that are Gluten Free are terribly unhealthy.

One of my favorite recipes (not from that book)

Cream Cheese crockpot Chicken
1 ½ lb. uncooked frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 ½ c. diced tomatoes OR 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
16 oz. jar salsa
8 oz. full-fat cream cheese
2 c. cooked brown rice

Directions:
Put frozen chicken breasts in crock pot, cover with black beans, tomatoes and salsa. Cook on high 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked.
Place block of cream cheese on top. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Stir to incorporate cream cheese into sauce. The stirring will cause the chicken to shred.
Serve with ½ c. brown rice.

Things you want to avoid with Celiac: Wheat, Barley, Rye, Bulgur, Durum flour, Farina, Graham flour, Kamut, Semolina, Spelt.

Fried foods are a must to avoid, oftentimes they are cooked in the same oil as items containign wheat.

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Hello!

I've been gluten free for about a year now. My tip to you would be to focus on the other food groups you can eat from. So focus on the meats, veggies, and fruits that you can enjoy. I'm gluten free and semi-kosher (messianic jew here!) so I understand dietary limitations. My friends and I had a massive graduation party since 4 of us graduated from community college. We had 6 different dips, two cakes (one regular, one gluten free), appetizers with bacon, ham (which I obviously didn't eat), hotdogs, and roast beef. We also had several varieties of chips, fruit, and veggies. We also had 4 different kinds of gluten free alcohol. If you have particular recipes that you want to know, ask me. Unfortunately the gluten free cake recipe is a 'family secret' for a friend of mine so I can't give that out. But I can give out other recipes.

If you're looking for good gf bread, try Udi's. And as for beer, get Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company. I've only had Bard's and tweasonale but bards is sooo much better than tweasonale...xD
Karo Kiba
Hello!

I've been gluten free for about a year now. My tip to you would be to focus on the other food groups you can eat from. So focus on the meats, veggies, and fruits that you can enjoy. I'm gluten free and semi-kosher (messianic jew here!) so I understand dietary limitations. My friends and I had a massive graduation party since 4 of us graduated from community college. We had 6 different dips, two cakes (one regular, one gluten free), appetizers with bacon, ham (which I obviously didn't eat), hotdogs, and roast beef. We also had several varieties of chips, fruit, and veggies. We also had 4 different kinds of gluten free alcohol. If you have particular recipes that you want to know, ask me. Unfortunately the gluten free cake recipe is a 'family secret' for a friend of mine so I can't give that out. But I can give out other recipes.

If you're looking for good gf bread, try Udi's. And as for beer, get Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company. I've only had Bard's and tweasonale but bards is sooo much better than tweasonale...xD

Canyon Bakehouse makes a really delicious brown rice bread, it's got a much better taste than Udi's does.

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Flygoedla
Karo Kiba
Hello!

Canyon Bakehouse makes a really delicious brown rice bread, it's got a much better taste than Udi's does.

But Udi's is more commercially available in my experience.
Karo Kiba
Flygoedla
Karo Kiba
Hello!

But Udi's is more commercially available in my experience.

And contains Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids which cause inflammation and weight gain.

Irregular Trash

19,525 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Magical Girl 50
___________User Image___________
ѕσ, ι'м ωяιтιиg тнє fυтυяє; ι'м ℓєανιиg α кєу нєяє...

All the recipes on this site are gluten free! Also, corn or rice flour noodles are really good if you ever have the desire for pasta. Rice is still an option; spiralized veggies instead of noodles are really good and fun to make. Toufayan has gluten-free wraps that are great and hold up well to wrap-making.

Also heads up, you want to be VERY VERY careful with modified food starches. Some of them are made from wheat/contain gluten, and won't be listed on allergen lists, depending on the type of food: I just made a horrible mistake with sausage with modified food starch as an ingredient, and didn't know about the fact that meats apparently don't have to list allergens and was miserable. It was my first slip up since my first few weeks of going gf about eight/nine months ago. I did some research as to why it wasn't labeled, and it has to do with differences in the rules for allergen listing between the USDA and FDA. This is the clearest explaination I found as to why. (Everything else is split between 'yes' and 'no', with lots and lots of comments saying that even though apparently modified food starch is supposedly all corn in the US, that it isn't... I was too miserable to do a whole lot of research past that point and just sort of vowed not to eat meat or other products that don't have a clear origin for modified starches...)

ѕσмєтнιиg ωσи'т αℓωαуѕ вє мιѕѕιиg, уσυ ωσи'т αℓωαуѕ fєєℓ ємρтιєя...
________ ѕσмєтнιиg ωσи'т αℓωαуѕ вє мιѕѕιиg, уσυ ωσи'т αℓωαуѕ fєєℓ ємρтιєя... ________
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces