Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was on a modified atkins diet before. I'm thinking about going on a diet again, similar to the meat and cheese diet the doctor put me on, and make it meat and beans. I am trying to stay away from carbs. My best friend told me I could eat beans, because they are fibrous. Is this okay? Will I still lose weight?

Or share their atkins diet stories? The modified atkins diet I was on, was all the meat and cheese you want, but nothing else. My best friend told me cheese would turn to fat, that's why he suggested beans.
My guess is either idea will be helpful in bring about weight loss. I doubt the cheese will be fattening, and the beans being in the modified Atkins probably will help in dropping pounds, with the side effect of being noisy after meals. mrgreen At least I was that way after eating anything with soy beans.

Good luck with the diet.
YellowKumquat
My guess is either idea will be helpful in bring about weight loss. I doubt the cheese will be fattening, and the beans being in the modified Atkins probably will help in dropping pounds, with the side effect of being noisy after meals. mrgreen At least I was that way after eating anything with soy beans.

Good luck with the diet.

Haha, thank you very much!

Interesting Nerd

My fiancee and I are both on the Atkin's Diet. We do consume a lot of meat and cheese, as well as many different types of vegetables, but that's about it. We avoid grains, potatoes, and most processed foods. My fiancee will eat beans, however I don't really fancy them, but I do know a bit about them from all my nutrition courses.

Beans are a nutritious, low-fat but high-carbohydrate food. Navy beans have 23.9g of carbohydrates per serving, chickpeas 22.5g, baby lima beans 21.2g, black beans 20.4g, lentils 19.9g and red kidney beans 19.8g. Only soybeans, with 9.9g of carbs per serving, are relatively low in carbs.

"When choosing which beans to have on a low carb diet, make sure you choose beans with a high fiber content. The process of subtracting the grams of fiber from the grams of total carbohydrates is called "net carbs." The more fiber content per serving, the less carbs per serving. Some manufacturers list "net carbs" on the food label, but most dried beans, peas and legumes do not have "net carbs" listed. To calculate "net carbs," simply subtract the total amount of fiber per serving from the total amount of carbs per serving." - Livestrong.com

The major health benefit of beans is their rich source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. The high fiber content of beans prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance, or hypoglycemia. Beans also supply significant amounts of antioxidants, folic acid, vitamin B6, and magnesium.

Beans are most commonly used as a substitute for meat, because they are high in protein. Beans will stay in your digestive system longer and add to the 'feeling of fullness', but they will also increase flatulence.
Miss Esa
My fiancee and I are both on the Atkin's Diet. We do consume a lot of meat and cheese, as well as many different types of vegetables, but that's about it. We avoid grains, potatoes, and most processed foods. My fiancee will eat beans, however I don't really fancy them, but I do know a bit about them from all my nutrition courses.

Beans are a nutritious, low-fat but high-carbohydrate food. Navy beans have 23.9g of carbohydrates per serving, chickpeas 22.5g, baby lima beans 21.2g, black beans 20.4g, lentils 19.9g and red kidney beans 19.8g. Only soybeans, with 9.9g of carbs per serving, are relatively low in carbs.

"When choosing which beans to have on a low carb diet, make sure you choose beans with a high fiber content. The process of subtracting the grams of fiber from the grams of total carbohydrates is called "net carbs." The more fiber content per serving, the less carbs per serving. Some manufacturers list "net carbs" on the food label, but most dried beans, peas and legumes do not have "net carbs" listed. To calculate "net carbs," simply subtract the total amount of fiber per serving from the total amount of carbs per serving." - Livestrong.com

The major health benefit of beans is their rich source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. The high fiber content of beans prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance, or hypoglycemia. Beans also supply significant amounts of antioxidants, folic acid, vitamin B6, and magnesium.

Beans are most commonly used as a substitute for meat, because they are high in protein. Beans will stay in your digestive system longer and add to the 'feeling of fullness', but they will also increase flatulence.

Oh gosh, thank you so much! That really helped me understand! How much weight have you lost in how long a time period on the atkins diet? Do you find the cheese turns to fat?

Interesting Nerd

Hey Hey Beautiful

Oh gosh, thank you so much! That really helped me understand! How much weight have you lost in how long a time period on the atkins diet? Do you find the cheese turns to fat?
I have had no issue with the cheese, but I don't eat it with every meal.
This is my second time on Atkins, the first time I was only on it for a month and dropped just under ten pounds, but I was doing a very liberal version of Atkins. (September 2011)
This time, I have been on it since the first of the year and I lost 17 pounds in the first two months. (Size 17 pants to a 13) The first two months were 'hardcore' Atkins, and I wasn't consuming more than 30 net carbs a day.
The past three weeks I have just been focusing on muscle gain and running more than anything, but I am still losing weight. I am eating a little more than I wan before, but I am also a lot more active.
Miss Esa
Hey Hey Beautiful

I have had no issue with the cheese, but I don't eat it with every meal.
This is my second time on Atkins, the first time I was only on it for a month and dropped just under ten pounds, but I was doing a very liberal version of Atkins. (September 2011)
This time, I have been on it since the first of the year and I lost 17 pounds in the first two months. (Size 17 pants to a 13) The first two months were 'hardcore' Atkins, and I wasn't consuming more than 30 net carbs a day.
The past three weeks I have just been focusing on muscle gain and running more than anything, but I am still losing weight. I am eating a little more than I wan before, but I am also a lot more active.

Is it okay to eat fruit with a modified atkins diet?

Interesting Nerd

Hey Hey Beautiful

Fruits tend to be high in sugars (a type of carbohydrate) but don''t have to be completely avoided. I think that you should be ok with some fruits in moderation, but make sure you check with your doctor/nutritionist.
Berries are fairly low in carbs, strawberries are only 6 net grams of carbohydrate per 100 gram serving. Dried fruits are a good idea to avoid because they have a much higher carb content.

Here is a list of fruits that are fairly low in carbs:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Miss Esa
Hey Hey Beautiful

Fruits tend to be high in sugars (a type of carbohydrate) but don''t have to be completely avoided. I think that you should be ok with some fruits in moderation, but make sure you check with your doctor/nutritionist.
Berries are fairly low in carbs, strawberries are only 6 net grams of carbohydrate per 100 gram serving. Dried fruits are a good idea to avoid because they have a much higher carb content.

Here is a list of fruits that are fairly low in carbs:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thank you! I appreciate that!

Shirtless Gawker

9,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Mark Twain 100
not sure if youre unaware like i was but dark red kidney beans actually have quite a bit of carbs
Hey Hey Beautiful

I'm on my own modified Atkins life style. I have cut down on refined sugars and carbs significantly. I used to live off of pasta and other starchy stuff, but I've cut away white pasta, bread, grain, sugar, potatoes, rice and such. I have had an occasional bit of chocolate and some whole wheat bread and I don't keep count of calories and I DO differentiate between "bad" and "good" carbs. I don't care how many carbs veggies have, since I feel bad when eating lots of protein. So, more greens for me.

From tomorrow, I have been doing this for 1 month and I've lost 9.9 Ibs / 4.5 kilograms, and I feel great. Haven't had much difficulties with this way of life, since I'm always pleasantly full, yet not eating as much as before. I love it. I feel energized and balanced and this is the only thing which has helped me lose weight without much else effort, than changing my diet. I haven't been working out, other than walking and biking as I always do.

My start weight was 166 Ibs / 75.5 kilograms. Down to roughly 156 Ibs / 71 kilograms.

For me, this is not a diet, but a LIFE CHANGE!
I am not interested in going back to my unhealthy eating at all.
This is for life.

Friendly Citizen

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I really need to diet but I just cannot get myself to start. sad
HOLD ON. What kind of doctor would put you on the Atkins diet? Are you making this up???? eek

I thought it was well accepted now in the world of health and nutrition that the Atkins diet is SUICIDE.

Of course doctors in the U.S. are only required to spend a minimum of 14 hours studying nutrition in the U.S.
So your story may be credible after all.

Please, see a dietician.

If you want to lose weight, I would look into the raw diet. It may seem hard but trust me, your body will thank you if you go about it the right way. Please see a dietician though, and do your research. On the Atkins diet you WILL get multiple health problems, but you can also develop health issues if you do a raw diet incorrectly. The benefits from doing your research and going raw will be worth the lifetime of happiness you'll get from this diet. smile
You'll lose weight, and keep it off unlike with the Atkins diet. The meat and cheese diet is basically only a diet epileptics should be on.

In fact, you don't even have to be totally raw, just get good whole foods in your diet, stick with it, and that will help you tremendously right there. NO DAIRY. NO FACTORY FARMED MEATS.

I don't mean to assume things. But if you weren't already aware, there are countless reasons you may be struggling with your weight. So not to seem bitchy or anything, but your doctor seems like he may just be a drug pusher. If your doctor is in the business for the money, then he is going to LOVE people on the Atkins diet. Do you have any other things that seem strange about your body? Jot these down and keep note. For instance I had hypothyroidism for years. Wouldn't have known it if I hadn't looked into the little things. I went vegan, and my symptoms are totally cured. (My theory is that my body was attacking itself from the dairy I was consuming - dairy causes auto-immune diseases - so once I got off, it gave me a chance to heal.)

Your body needs carbs, they're the building blocks for energy. Our bodies are designed to crave carbs for a reason. I hate to say this, but our bodies are more designed for digesting plant foods.
Meat and dairy are really a last resort kind of thing for us. It's bad enough what grass fed, hormone free, anti-biotic free, 'free-range' animal products do to you, but if you're buying factory farmed animal products, say sayonara, because you're poisoning yourself bit by bit.

Also, CHANGE DOCTORS.

Edit:
One last word. Focus on nutrient dense foods, and you should be good.
Avocados, chia seeds and/or ground flax seeds, and nuts are some essentials for me. Then just get a good balance of fruits and veggies alongside. If you decide to go raw, or on a whole foods plant based diet, the one thing you'll need to take into account though is B12. Our environment is so clean, that we have to rely on B12 (sourced from bacteria) that's produced in the intestines of animals, or get it in a supplement or fortified foods like nutritional yeast and cereals.

Sorry, I could literally talk forever about this (my sister is a dietician and we're always sharing information about new studies too). So I guess if you have any questions you can message me. Although even though I know I know what I'm talking about, you really shouldn't be taking advice from random people on the internet. You should talk with a dietician, and do your own research.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Why would cheese turn to fat? It is low in carbs,

And you should still include a lot of vegetables and some fruit, get a lot of micronutrients that way.

Fashionable Genius

The Atkins diet isn't good for long term dieting. No carbs, no fruit, and very little vegetables is unhealthy. You can't just eat all meat and nothing else (even it's not red meat). All that protein is hard on your kidneys, and if they start malfunctioning your basically ********.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff