Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Fairy

I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and the doctor suggested I change my diet to be low in sodium and high in protein. Anyone have some simple recipes (even complex ones, I'm a daredevil in the kitchen) they'd be willing to share to help me out? smile

High-functioning Dreamer

Maybe it's just me but it seems like thyroid conditions are becoming more common. I've also got hypothyroidism but my doctor never said anything about changing my diet, I'll have to try it and see if it makes any difference.

Sparkly Strawberry

5,400 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
There is a lot of protein in Beans, Spinach, Cheeses, Fish, Tofu, Turkey, Chicken and Eggs. I'd have 3 whole eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast. Lunch make seared chicken breast over a bead of spinach. And dinner make a Salmon w/ Bean salad or Lentil Soup (Lentil beans are very very very high in protein)
But if you want to go the extra mile for protein, Mealworms are extremely rich with proteins.
They aren't half bad.. give them a shot!

I don't know how to write out the recipes.. but uhh google?
LOL
GL

Naughty Incubus

High-functioning Lunatic

You can ask your endocrinologist what foods you should avoid first because there are foods that can irritate or stimulate your thyroid.

Low sodium. You won't be looking at food labels for calories, but instead of lower sodium content is a good start. (I'm a low sodium) Do you have to stay away from salt or iodine?

All things sauteed or stir fried or baked is good.
Fast food and soda is now a treat.

You can generally eat anything you still want, but just be conscious of the salt you add and the salt that's already in it. If you are cooking and want to put salt you can use a squirt of lemon juice. Stir frying beef or pork with bell peppers is great, once cooling squeeze in some lemon juice and you'll get that bit of kick in your mouth, not to mention meats have their own salts.

Anything sour I found seems to satisfy my salt cravings.

I once had to cut out salt for a week and a half for a medical test, and it was awful! But after that week and half everything was too salty for me. So I don't know if you want to try that as a quick fix to reset your tastebuds but once you cut it out, most foods become too salty.

I would definitely sautee with strong flavors like spicy or sour or flavorful, most of the time those extra flavors will satisfy you on their own so you won't need the salt.

If you're a big sauce person, start eating your meal with sauce on the side. Like salad or other foods like Chinese or Italian. You really only need a little bit when you dip to really satisfy a craving and you'll be surprised how little you need by the end of it. Don't believe me? If you do like Chinese food, ask for your favorite dish, and ask for sauce on the side. When you eat dip just a portion not the whole thing into the sauce and finish it up. You'll see how much sauce is left over. The amount they give you separately is usually the same amount they'd mix in (Use to work for Chinese food).

You can also get unsalted nuts, sunflower pumplkin, pistachios are great.
Instead of using salt, use Tamari instead. It's soy sauce that has low sodium. It looks like this: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My Big 3 of cooking is baking, steaming, or soups. In all three, you minimize oil and added fat. Steaming things like beans and root veggies maintain the flavor instead of it seeping out into the water. It takes a lot longer to steam beans though, about 6 hours, than boiling, but it tastes better.

Instead of using MSG (or any soup bases that has MSG), consider making stocks out of kombu, like dashi stock or bapsang. Did you know that MSG is based off of kombu's umami flavor? smile Look into asian recipes. They're generally low sodium and low fat.

Here are some kombu broths that you could try making:
bapsang: http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2011/03/how-to-make-anchovy-broth-for-korean.html#.UwGnmPldUaA

dashi: http://www.lafujimama.com/2010/01/how-to-make-dashi/
Just eat plain meat

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas