Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Informer

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Informer 100
  • Wall Street 200
I got diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes Wednesday which means I have to limit my carb intake. Since I'm pregnant I'm ALWAYS hungry it seems. I watch what I eat, but it's nice to have snacks I can pig out on when I'm really starving. These are the [virtually] carb free foods I've discovered so far, and I'd love some ideas from other people of low carb/ carb free foods to snack on so the ones I've found don't get old.

& JUST TO CLARIFY SO I DON'T GET ANY MORE RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS POSTS:

I HAVE to be on a low carb diet because I'm diabetic, and carbs metabolize into sugar the quickest, upping your blood sugar to unhealthy levels. I'm following the medical advice of my OBGYN, Nurse Practitioner, and the Diabetes Dietician I see bi-weekly. I AM doing what is healthy for myself and my child, thank you very much. scream

Meats:
All

Snacks:
Cheese! xd

Veggies:
Lettuce
Tomato
Green Beans
I think a common low carb snack food for many is roasted nuts. Almonds come to mind this morning as a favorite nut in my family. Roasted almonds is something my low carb eating father consumes regularly when looking for a filling snack.

Already mentioned but cheese is something I've eaten in the past when hungry and looking to hold myself over to the next meal. Gouda in particular has been a favorite.

Not diet related, but something else that could be of help with blood sugar control is reaching a vitamin D testing level around 50ng/ml. Recall this mention about D3 helping with metabolic syndrome, sometimes referred to as pre-diabetes.

"Vitamin D: Treatment for metabolic syndrome?"

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2007/12/vitamin-d-treatment-for-metabolic-syndrome.html

& eating foods high in magnesium probably will be helpful also.

"Magnesium and Insulin Sensitivity"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/02/magnesium-and-insulin-sensitivity.html

Congrats and good luck!

Eloquent Informer

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Informer 100
  • Wall Street 200
YellowKumquat
I think a common low carb snack food for many is roasted nuts. Almonds come to mind this morning as a favorite nut in my family. Roasted almonds is something my low carb eating father consumes regularly when looking for a filling snack.

Already mentioned but cheese is something I've eaten in the past when hungry and looking to hold myself over to the next meal. Gouda in particular has been a favorite.

Not diet related, but something else that could be of help with blood sugar control is reaching a vitamin D testing level around 50ng/ml. Recall this mention about D3 helping with metabolic syndrome, sometimes referred to as pre-diabetes.

"Vitamin D: Treatment for metabolic syndrome?"

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2007/12/vitamin-d-treatment-for-metabolic-syndrome.html

& eating foods high in magnesium probably will be helpful also.

"Magnesium and Insulin Sensitivity"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/02/magnesium-and-insulin-sensitivity.html

Congrats and good luck!

Thank you very much, that's all super helpful!

Interesting Nerd

I actually post all my low carb recipes here on Gaia, and I am currently in the process off adding about a dozen more. You can find them here. Hopefully you can find something you like. ^.^

Heroic Hero

16,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
For (healthy) fats try:
-nuts and seeds (try soaking/sprouting them. Easier to digest)
-avocado (mmmm guacamole)

For protein try:
-beans (hummus, anyone?)

Here are some snack ideas:
-Cottage cheese with berries and nuts/seeds (My. Favourite. Snack. Ever.)
-Toast/bagel/pita with hummus/guacamole, nuts/seeds and veggies(anything that adds a crunch, like lettuce, celery or carrots)
-Avocado smoothie (just blend like half an avocado with some milk and there you go)
-Fruit slices/whole grain crackers or chips to dip in cottage cheese/hummus/guacamole
-roasted chickpeas

Eloquent Informer

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Informer 100
  • Wall Street 200
Miss Esa
I actually post all my low carb recipes here on Gaia, and I am currently in the process off adding about a dozen more. You can find them here. Hopefully you can find something you like. ^.^

Thanks! xd Reading it now!

Shirtless Gawker

9,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sugar free pop and juices make you crave sugar so i recommend instead of them is just making a pot of green tea or other tea and keeping it refrigerated
Water gets really boring

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Don't eat bread / wheat then?

Quotable Gawker

9,300 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Best thing I ever found were Shirataki noodles. They have 3g of carbs and a full 8 oz bag is only 40 calories! You just dry them VERY well. Heat them up in the microwave for one minute and then dress them as you like smile

Eloquent Informer

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Informer 100
  • Wall Street 200
xX-CUPPICAKE-Xx
Best thing I ever found were Shirataki noodles. They have 3g of carbs and a full 8 oz bag is only 40 calories! You just dry them VERY well. Heat them up in the microwave for one minute and then dress them as you like smile

User Image

That sounds awesome! Thanks!

Eloquent Informer

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Informer 100
  • Wall Street 200
oTrissa

User Image

Incorrect.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Days of Raine
oTrissa

User Image

Incorrect.
Carbs 't healthy for you.

Rainbow Bloodsucker

You may be better off to stay with all natural snacks and meals (these can be time consuming to make, so preparing and planning in advance really helps) like nuts and low gi fruits and crockpot stew.

Yes, grains are handy, quick and easy, but they contribute to arthritis, pre-mature ageing and in your situation a health risk to not only yourself, but the child you carry. Grains are easy to produce and easy to sell, but this is in no way linked to good health. For example, corn is in everything pre-packaged, it is also used to fatten up livestock such as cattle; so it can only be assumed that corn is linked to weight gain and the growing epidemic of obesity. Another example is Monosodium Glutamate (MSG for short) that is added to these products to make it taste good; although a product may be labelled with "NO MSG" on the surface, this only applies if you eat as little as 1/10th of the package. Companies will deliberately use other terms such as "flavouring", "yeast extract", "hydrolysed wheat", and many more (there are over one hundred different terms companies will use to cover up that they used MSG in the product to make it taste good,) regardless of the fact that this product is harmful to your health, especially to your heart.

I know where you are coming from with your diseases, as I too have a gastric disorder, and I can also see the importance you need healthy snacks with your pregnancy.

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
wow, glad I found this thread. I'm sub-threshold gestational diabetes (leaking lots of glucose but still passed the GTT).

re green tea, I don't think We're supposed to have green tea while pregnant? could be one of those things no one knows but everyone says. I know I can't have caffeine containing stuff because I get really easily dehydrated even without it (might be a diabetes thing, might just be me).

regarding the bread thing, my midwife told me I should only have max one slice of bread a day. she herself is diabetic (not gestational of course) so i trust her familiarity with the subject... that said, I also fainted on a day I had succeeded in eating virtually no carbohydrates. dunno the actual cause (might have been low bp too) but you might not want to go the other extreme either!

edit: erm, to answer the original q.. I'm not an expert, but here is what I've been doing:

- cheese has been great
- substituting yoghurt for milk is apparently something else to do but can't remember who told me that
- eggs
- when I do have crackers, make it whole grain and have it with a protein or fat
- pasta has a lower gi when cooked al dente instead of soft. durum wheat pasta is supposed to be lower gi too
- Rolled oats instead of instant oats (oatmeal is good as it doesn't require milk if you're also avoiding calcium at certain times due to iron supplements)

and exercise (well, attempting to, at 36 weeks)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff