Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's spring time and the only thing I can think of is smoothies (:
I have never made my own smoothie before though...
I'd prefer recipes that use yogurt.
I've been googling here and there and I've found some that sound good but I'd love to hear what you guys have made.
Share'em please!
emotion_bigheart

Interesting Nerd

Orange Banana -- Puree one container of Greek yogurt, 2/3 cup orange juice concentrate, two bananas and a tablespoon of lime juice.

Mango -- Puree one cup mango slices, 1/2 cup mango or peach nectar and a container of nonfat yogurt.

Honey Berry -- Puree two cups frozen mixed berries, one tablespoon honey and one cup nonfat vanilla yogurt.
Miss Esa
Orange Banana -- Puree one container of Greek yogurt, 2/3 cup orange juice concentrate, two bananas and a tablespoon of lime juice.

Mango -- Puree one cup mango slices, 1/2 cup mango or peach nectar and a container of nonfat yogurt.

Honey Berry -- Puree two cups frozen mixed berries, one tablespoon honey and one cup nonfat vanilla yogurt.

The Orange Banana and Mango sound tasty.
Thank you!!
You don't really need a recipe for smoothies. Just throw together fruit that tastes good, tasting after each new fruit to make sure you're heading in the right direction.

A standard smoothie for me consists of a banana, about half a container of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, mixed berries (especially strawberries), and a handful of spinach. You can't taste the spinach, so smoothies are a great way to get it in your diet. When I have other fruits, I add those too... kiwis, nectarines, peaches, plums, oranges, any kind of melon. Be aware that melons are mostly water, so they're best left for light summery drinks. If the smoothie is too thick, add juice if you have it, or some soy/almond milk (I've found coconut milk to be too strong in a smoothie, but it really depends on your taste). Water works if it's all you have. If it's too thin, add some more yogurt or perhaps protein powder (if you have it and if you do not mind the flavor)(don't add too much!) If it's too bitter--generally caused by too many kiwis or certain berries--add another banana and/or more sweet fruits.
Also, I always add some ice at the end. When everything is blended, get some ice ready so that you can use ice crush for about 7 seconds--then there are still chunks of ice that do not melt so fast that your smoothie is watered down.
i buy bags of frozen chopped fruit and berries and blend some of that with plain yogurt, milk, and a packet of splenda mmm smile or you can use flavored yogurt and skip the splenda
I just throw in all the fruit I can get!

Fruits, protein powder, and fresh-squeezed orange juice, and that's my smoothie.

Rainbow Bloodsucker

I mainly drink veggie or low gi fruit/veggie mixes.

My usual veggie one consists of 1/2 a small avocado, 1 rip tomato, 1-2 cups spinach, 2-3 leafy stems of kale, flax meal, 1/2 an english cucumber, 1-2 stalks of celery, on occasion hemp seed oil, broccoli or leaf lettuce. This usually makes about 2-3 large glasses, and I usually store them either in a plastic wrap covered glass, a jar or plastic bottles with a large lid.

I know that fruit/veggie combo sounds gross but it's my standard go-to liquid meal, usually I blend up 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries or blueberries (sometimes it's a frozen mix), 1 cup spinach, 2 leafy stems of kale, 1 cup yogurt preferably organic 3.5% fat, I personally use the "Olympic" brand, 1/2 avocado, organic whey protein powder(this contains zero sugars, or artificial sweeteners like aspartame, I personally like mine Vanilla flavoured, but you could also buy chocolate flavoured, or just save money by just adding cocoa powder to the vanilla powder), 1/2 cup filtered water or ice cubes, flax meal. Kefir(a yogurt-milk like substance) can be used to replace the yogurt, and you can buy plain or a berry flavoured one (my local supermarket sells a raspberry flavoured Kefir, that's super delicious.)

My usual smoothies are very large quantities and keep for about 3 days refrigerated. I'd also advise if you are really keen on lots of smoothies to invest in a good quality blender, like a high powdered kitchenaid or a vitamix. I personally own a vitamix, and these have a very large price tag, but it can also make hot soup and icecream so it was worth the investment.

Wicked Sweetheart

Whatever you put in your smoothies, be sure to invest in and add bee pollen to whatever you make. It's super healthy for you, I'm srs. Lookit up. 3nodding

Friendly Citizen

Strawberries + bananas + ice = Heaven.
You may add sugar if you wish to sweeten it up a bit but since I'm kinda reducing my sugar intake, I'm pretty content with the natural sugars of the fruits themselves c:
Ice Cream smoothie or milkshake!!!
milk,ice cream,and banana biggrin

9,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
handful of mixed frozen berries, vanilla greek yogurt, and orange juice
1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 cup blueberries (frozen are fine)
1 banana
1-2 slices of fresh ginger
I have this almost every day.

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
While it's not technically a smoothie (no yogurt, or dairy in general), my cousin and I discovered it years ago at a July 4th party at my house where we basically threw a bunch of fruits together in a blender with ice, and just got so lucky that it worked. It's also not a precise recipe, as we discovered it, again, by just throwing things hap-hazardly into the blender, so I'm guesstimating it:

1 1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup melon

And the amount of ice really depends on how you prefer it. I hope this helps!

Intellectual Dabbler

3,450 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
My two favorites I've named the World Traveler and Wild Berry Blitz, I only make one serving at a time.
World Traveler
Skim Milk
Half fill with low fat frozen yogurt
2-3 Strawberries
Half a banana (Almost all smoothies should have banana, in my opinion)
2 lychee nuts (You buy them canned, if they're not at your supermarket you'll need to go to an Asian food store.)
Lychee juice, you can use the juice from the can, but I sometimes buy Calpico.
I sometimes like to add protein powder for added vitamins and to get protein in me in the morning or after a workout, when I don't want to eat meat.

Wild Berry Blitz
Skim Milk
Half fill with low fat frozen yogurt
Half a Banana
Bunch of Blueberries (15-20?)
7 raspberries
3 strawberries
4-6 Blackberries
If adding protein powder that's flavored, add the greater number of blackberries and blueberries. The black&blue-berries control the flavor, I like it more mild but my boyfriend likes it strong so I put a little more in his and less in mine.
This one comes out a great shade of purple. ^_^

The best thing to do is experiment with fruit you like. You can really just use whatever you have available.
gaia_angelleft Here's an easy, cheap recipe. It doesn't involve yogurt, but it's definitely delicious! gaia_angelright

Banana Cinnamon Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 Banana (If frozen, cut into slices)
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg (raw)
2 tbsp white sugar (cane tastes better)
1 pinch ground cinnamon (or approx. 1/8 tsp)

Instructions:
In a blender, combine banana, milk, vanilla extract, egg and sugar. Blend until smooth. Pour into tall glass and sprinkle cinnamon on top. (I prefer mine in the smoothie)

emotion_bigheart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces