Welcome to Gaia! ::

Excitable Strawberry

Mimi Wildhart
Nope. Nothing makes that smell and taste go away. The stringy-ness doesn't help either. Sorry.

Except sauteeing it. stare

I dislike raw celery but like it cooked. If you eat ANYTHING in restaurants at all you are eating it all the time in miripoix without knowing it. Anyway,

I like it simple:

Link

Quote:
INGREDIENTS:

1 head celery
6-8 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
METHOD:

Separate the large stalks from the celery head, saving the heart for something else. Trim the leaves and reserve, and wash the celery well, then drain.

Trim the ends off the stalks, then cut away any “joints” on the stalks near the tops. I find these to be bitter and tough.

Cut each stalk into 2½ x ½ inch batons.

Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. (The pan should be just large enough to hold the celery without too much piling up on each other.) When the pan is hot, add 6 tablespoons of butter. When the butter foams, add the celery batons and toss to coat. If it seems more butter is needed to get a good coating of butter on all the batons, add the last 2 tablespoons of butter.

Reduce the heat to medium and gently sauté the celery, tossing and turning it occasionally in the butter, until it is just tender. The tip of a knife should just slip in without much resistance.

Add the reserved celery leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cook just to warm the leaves, and serve.

Chef’s Notes and Tips:

The butter is the only element adding flavor besides the celery, so use good quality butter, and the same should be said for the celery. If your celery is old and pithy in the center, there is nowhere for it to hide, so use fresh celery and trim away the ends with the bitter white centers. If you wish to play with the dish, you could sauté a few tablespoons of onions first-just cook them until they are translucent but do not brown them or their flavor will dominate the dish. You could try adding a little fresh lovage to the dish for seasoning if you have some. This is what I call “layering” flavors as lovage is similar to celery in taste. A touch of white wine could be used, adding it to the butter and reducing it until almost dry before adding the celery. Just remember, this dish is best left simple.

Quote:
Sauteed celery with garlic and scallions (serves 2 as a side dish)

Ingredients:

4 stalks of celery (cut into 1/4″ slices)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove garlic (thinly sliced)
1 scallion (cut into 1/2″ pieces)
1/4 cup water
soy sauce

Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add garlic and scallion, saute until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add celery and water. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add soy sauce and cook for another few minutes. Test with a fork and cook to your desired tenderness. Serve with a fish or meat dish of your choice.

http://joycewu.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/sauteed-celery-with-garlic-and-scallions/

Cutie-Pie

Silvyee

ugh trust me I've tried to cook celery in various ways but I can always taste it. I think in the end my sense of taste/smell is too sensitive to handle something so aromatic. strange how i'm totally okay with onions or garlic, but find celery's smell and taste to an almost offensive level lol.

Beloved Hunter

9,425 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Falling For You 25
  • Noob wrangler 100
Cut it up and put it into other things, put cheese whiz on it, or just don't eat it! Lol

Demonic Businessman

28,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
Oooh yes, cut it up and put it into other things. I just made some chicken salad from left over thanksgiving turkey -- fantastic.

To make chicken salad it's really easy...just chop up fresh celery into small pieces, shred chicken/turkey, then mix it all up with a couple of spoons of mayonaise. Add a squeeze of lemon and fresh ground pepper and slap it on a sandwich. Hnnngh, so good.

I also dumped it into a sausage and rice gumbo, after it's been in a crock pot for a few hours with all those spices and other veggies, you really can't tell it's even celery.
HOW DARE YOU HATE CELERY!?!??!?!!? it is one of the few vegetables i am not intolerant to.

Bashful Gaian

There is hardly a way to make celery "yummy" User Image

I find that celery is only edible within soups because the texture and taste is completely different...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff