Welcome to Gaia! ::

So i'm going to the store to buy food for the start of my diet and I don't know what to get...
It would help if you could comment some healthy foods. Like yogurt, nuts, apples, CHOCOLATE

Fire 0ak's Princess

Timid Cupcake

21,200 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
What I do when shopping normally is look at my schedule, see what I feel like eating, and what I already have on hand. Then I look through sales ads online to see if anything is on sale, like if tomatoes are on sale then I plan for gazpacho.

If you work a lot of nights you might want to find slow cooker recipes, if you still attend school easy breakfast and lunch recipes. A lot of work in the beginning so you may want to start on a day you're free, but I find it helps me to make better choices later on in the week if everything is planned out.

Kinda of hard to give you more than general advice because I don't really know what type of food you like or you're cooking level, if you own a blender, ect.

I'd get whole grains, steel cut oats and dried fruit( usually cranberries) is my favorite breakfast when I have time to cook. Eggs are pretty good too, I poach them.

For lunch I like hummus and baby carrots with fruit, or a baked potato with Greek yogurt and chives.

For dinner I try make soup as much as possible, Mexican inspired soup, beef stew, vegetable, ribolita, or leek and potato. If not soup then usually something simple like teriyaki chicken skewers with brown rice and vegetables.

So yeah just try to stick with as much whole foods as much as possible, like brown rice, whole wheat flour, fresh or frozen veggies, fruits, beans and nuts, and lean meats like chicken or turkey.Try to buy as little packaged foods as possible, stay far away from things like lean cuisine and 100 calories packs.

What type of diet are you starting?

Dangerous Hunter

fruit, vegetable, meat
nothing in a can
buy some strawberries and kiwi. I love chopping them up, stick it in a bowl (juice and all) add a little bit of sugar and then BOOM! Add cool whip and you're all set.

Ruthless Gekko

You should buy rolled oats and honey. You can make granola with them. It's good for you and tastes delicious...you just toast the oats and honey and add whatever you like. There are lots of recipes online. You can add things like cranberries, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, pine nuts, etc. Then you eat it in plain yogurt (greek if you want to be extra healthy) or milk.

agnogenic's Wife

12,500 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Crystealsheart
So i'm going to the store to buy food for the start of my diet and I don't know what to get...
It would help if you could comment some healthy foods. Like yogurt, nuts, apples, CHOCOLATE

yogurt, nuts, apples
no salt
green vegetables (zucchini, cucumber, asparagus, broccoli)
carrots, squash, cauliflower
bell pepper
eggs
Cumpleanoco
Crystealsheart

yogurt, nuts, apples
no salt
bell pepper
eggs
Don't you need salt, though, because of the iodine?

Mythical Shapeshifter

19,400 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Tipsy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
You can't go wrong with fruits and veggies, my parents went vegan a few years back, so I've gotten pretty used to it. Like eating apples or pickles instead of chips. Not the nasty bagged apples from the store though. Try to see if there's a produce dock in your area, it's basically where fruits and vegetables go before they end up at the supermarket, they tend to have better quality, and a greater variety of stock, and they're less expensive than a supermarket ^^
Try some deep green veggies like collards or kale.

I always steam them a little bit with garlic, pepper and lemon juice. I love it!! I eat it every day and it's been good at keeping me full. I notice my metabolism is much better and my waist is more defined with this diet.

agnogenic's Wife

12,500 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
The Kids Are Alright
Cumpleanoco
Crystealsheart

yogurt, nuts, apples
no salt
bell pepper
eggs
Don't you need salt, though, because of the iodine?

not sure. salt isn't bad for you so much that you should have zero, but there is salt in all kinds of foods that are already prepared, for example meat... there is salt in meat, so you shouldn't have to add much salt to anything you cook with sausage in it. also, there is salt in cheese. if you cook hamburgers, adding salt is bad because you already have salt in ranch dressing, cheese, ketchup... i heard there is also salt in fruits, but i don't know if i believe that. also, people sometimes cook meats with fruit because it gives a replacement flavor (i don't do it, but i still don't add salt when i cook) like making chicken or pork with apples because green apples add bitter taste and red add sweet taste (instead of directly adding sugar or something else)
Nuts are a very good source of healthy fats, like almonds, pistachios, walnuts.. smile Heard they are good crave busters. Good luck!
On your sandwhichs Kale and spinach are good things to substitute lettice for to get more of a health kick. I find multi grain breads are much more filling than any others. Quinoa and seeds make it tasty!
DECADE DIARY is talking.

here is a list of foods
        i tend to buy. not sure
        what it is exactly that
        you like but hopefully
        you can use it for ideas.

DAIRY
          greek yoghurt
          ricotta
          milk
          cheddar cheese
          goats cheese
          parmesan cheese
          butter

FRUIT
          banana
          kiwi fruit
          apples
          oranges
          grapes
          tomato
          avocado
          blueberries (frozen)
          raspberries (frozen)
          lemon
          lime

VEGETABLES
          carrots
          celery
          kale
          lettuce
          spinach
          cucumber
          broccoli
          beans
          capsicum
          potato
          sweet potato
          pumpkin
          zucchini
          onion
          garlic
          mushrooms
          peas (frozen)
          corn (frozen)
          mint
          parsley
          coriander
          basil

MEAT
          i don't eat a lot of meat but i occasionally buy:
          beef mince
          chicken breast
          leg ham (sliced)
          lamb leg (for roasting)

PANTRY/OTHER
          honey
          stevia
          oats
          granola
          chia seed
          flax seed
          coconut chips
          coconut oil
          olive oil
          cinnamon
          chilli flakes
          almond
          walnuts
          quinoa
          brown rice
          black beans (canned)
          chickpeas (canned)
          lentils (canned)
          diced tomato (canned)
          tuna in spring water (canned)
          eggs
          tofu
          hummus
          peanut butter
          almond butter
          ryvitas
          bread (rye/wholegrain/sourdough)
          red wine vinegar
          apple cider vinegar
          balsamic vinegar
          kalamata olives
the usual tip : ALL fruits and vegetables are good for you. .. unless you're allergic sweatdrop
decade diary

my shopping list is strikingly similar, although I tend to stay away from goat cheese.
Not my thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces