Welcome to Gaia! ::

Strawberries are amazing, and super good for you! Try organic/local ones!

You can also freeze your fave flavor of yogurt. heart

Golden Fatcat

i love sweets too but it's all about discipline and self-control.
definitely try for some fruits and dark dark dark chocolate! smile

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
aki-mizu
Karo Kiba
I know this sounds harsh but you'll be better off weaning yourself off of sweets. And then you'll gradually start craving things that are better for you. I remember the day, several months after reducing my sugar consumption and eliminating gluten, when I starting craving sweet potatoes and steaks the same way that I used to crave toast with jelly.

However, herbal teas with stevia are great if you do want something sweet. If you have to use sweeteners, avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners. Sweeten with honey, coconut sugar, or stevia instead. They may be more expensive but it is worthwhile. The only time I truly use sugar nowadays is when I'm baking for other people.

I understand what you mean. I did try this, however I am back to eating the sweets as I felt horrible without them, and noticed more of a salt consumption which wasn't any better.
I am curious, why did you cute gluten?

For a myriad of reasons but mainly due to mood, bloating, and weight issues.

The 'feeling horrible' that you described was likely due to some withdrawal. Food is just as addictive as drugs. Try no sugar, no added salt. Basically all your body needs to survive is meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, and water.
Raava the Crusader
I've switched to a low-carb diet, so I don't tend to crave sweets much anymore, but some of the tricks I used to use:

Low-fat/Light Cool Whip. Freeze it up in the summer, healthy 'ice cream'. I LOVED this stuff. Super simple, and fits into the student budget at 99cents a tub. Hahaha. If you want to get really fancy, get some low fat graham crackers, halve them, put a dollop of the cool whip between the halves and freeze them like that and have yourself an ice cream sandwich.

Fruit, fruit, and more Fruit. I know you said you have fruit covered, but don't underestimate it. Fruit has natural sweeteners, and dried fruit is even sweeter, but be careful not to overdo it on them because they are NOT a replacement for the natural version. Basically the drying process removes a lot of the nutrients and holds onto the sugar. But when I craved candy I took out a pack of dried pineapple or mangos and a few was enough to satisfy. Raisins also work nicely.

Dark Chocolate. Not really a recommendation, but when you HAVE to have chocolate, go with the dark. Just a little piece will cure the craving, and it's better for you.

Granola. Add a little bit to a vanilla or other sweet yogurt and its so sugary you might not even finish it.

Don't try to eat healthy by denying yourself of 'tasty' food. If you hate the food, it won't last long. But there are ways to appeal to your tastebuds without reaching for a donut or candy bar!

First off, low fat cool whip is loaded with extra sugar to make it palatable. Next, it's made with hydrogenated oils which are terribly unhealthy. Try instead: 1 cup Full-fat heavy whipping cream. First place metal bowl and hand mixer whisks in freezer for 10 minutes. Afterwards, whip HWC until soft peaks form, add in 1 tsp of Vanilla. Instant delicious whipped cream that is healthy.

Yes it is higher calorie, but not all calories are created equal. Carbohydrates are easily absorbed into your blood steam and if not used up, turn into fat. Saturated fat leaves you feeling full, and does not add to your waist-line or your cholesterol.

Any snack you do you really need to balance it out with a protein, a fat (monounsaturated or saturated), and a veg/fruit carb. I.e - 1 cup full-fat yogurt with walnuts and 1/2 cup strawberries. Balancing out snacks and meals with a protein, fat, and a carb leaves you sated and prevents any blood sugar spikes that you would get from just fruit.

Another snack I love is almond flour blueberry muffins with 1 tbsp butter and 1 oz cheese.

Angelic Lunatic

11,875 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I have made a dark chocolate gluten free brownies if you want I can give you the recipe to the food. It is really yummy, sweet and yet rich tasting. Yet very healthy to eat.

Angelic Lunatic

11,875 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Gluten Free Brownies
Enjoy making them, I know I enjoyed making them myself as much as I enjoyed eating them.

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Keena the Grim
Gluten Free Brownies
Enjoy making them, I know I enjoyed making them myself as much as I enjoyed eating them.

You must seriously be stalking me, hahahaha.

Angelic Lunatic

11,875 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Lol no, I was just trying to find away to post my gf brownies. Had No idea you were in here. ninja

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff