Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Spirit

I have recently developed an allergy to gluten and most of the food we have on Thanksgiving has gluten in it. What are some gluten-free recipes that can be used instead?
Foods that would have gluten would be ,gravy, bread, maybe the meat (if processed), the stuffing, and dessert. Did I miss any?

gravy-> Use cornstarch, arrowroot ,or potato starch to thicken your gravy instead.

bread-> There are recipes out there to make gluten free bread. Its also sold in a box mix form too.

dessert-> you can make a crumble on top of the pie with almond flour instead of flour, there are also mixes of gluten free flour that work well you just have to find one you like.

If your not feeling the taste of a gluten free flour add some spices to it for the crust that go with say your pumpkin pie like pumpkin spice. Do the same when making other things with the flour to mask the taste you don't like.

Weird example: I work in a hotel. At work the engineers would come to the kitchen for vanilla extract. They use to use vanilla extract in the paint to reduce the smell ( ps. not cheap) but it worked, I guess because we ran out of vanilla a lot. Same idea with food.

Angelic Spirit

caro_san
Foods that would have gluten would be ,gravy, bread, maybe the meat (if processed), the stuffing, and dessert. Did I miss any?

gravy-> Use cornstarch, arrowroot ,or potato starch to thicken your gravy instead.

bread-> There are recipes out there to make gluten free bread. Its also sold in a box mix form too.

dessert-> you can make a crumble on top of the pie with almond flour instead of flour, there are also mixes of gluten free flour that work well you just have to find one you like.

If your not feeling the taste of a gluten free flour add some spices to it for the crust that go with say your pumpkin pie like pumpkin spice. Do the same when making other things with the flour to mask the taste you don't like.

Weird example: I work in a hotel. At work the engineers would come to the kitchen for vanilla extract. They use to use vanilla extract in the paint to reduce the smell ( ps. not cheap) but it worked, I guess because we ran out of vanilla a lot. Same idea with food.

Thank you! ^.^

Shameless Fatcat

In the future, find your own recipes and bring a dish - that way you know you have something to eat, and you look like a gracious guest.

Go to your local bookstore - there are entire food and recipe magazines dedicated to gluten free meals. You can also find simple tricks online to make recipes gluten free. That's how I made a gluten free strawberry basil tart with hazelnut crust to take to my celiac family friend's house. She was so happy to have a baked dessert, she took every last scrap for leftovers. Even my spare glazed strawberries!

Angelic Spirit

Masturbating_Rot_Crow
In the future, find your own recipes and bring a dish - that way you know you have something to eat, and you look like a gracious guest.

Go to your local bookstore - there are entire food and recipe magazines dedicated to gluten free meals. You can also find simple tricks online to make recipes gluten free. That's how I made a gluten free strawberry basil tart with hazelnut crust to take to my celiac family friend's house. She was so happy to have a baked dessert, she took every last scrap for leftovers. Even my spare glazed strawberries!

Haha. I'd be grateful as well. Thank you! smile

Just don't eat the stuffing.
Potatoes, turkey, rutabaga do not have gluten in them.

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Use buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, sweet rice flour, sweet potato flour, potato flour, and other gluten-free flour when cooking.

I know of a chocolate gluten-free cake my mom makes. I'll see if I can find it.

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Ah, here it is! Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake:

Ingredients:
1 can (16 oz) Black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
5 eggs (3 for one part of the recipe, 2 for the other part)
1 teaspoon of vanilla flavouring
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
6 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
6 tablespoons of butter (melted)
1/4 cup of chocolate chips (optional)

Procedure:

1. Dust a cake tin or bundt tin that is 9'' with cocoa powder. Set oven for 350 degree Fahrenheit. In a medium sized bowl, combine the black beans, 3 eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Beat it until it is smooth.

2. In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.

3. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and 2 eggs, beat well.

4. Add bean batter into a mixer, then add the butter and eggs.

5. Add the cocoa mixture into the batter. Add 1 tablespoon of water then beat on high for 1 minute.

6. Pour the batter into the dusted tin.

7. Sprinkle chocolate chips as you desire.

8. Bake for 40 minutes. Avoid underbaking.

9. Test with a toothpick carefully to check if the middle of the cake has been baked. If it is thoroughly baked, then set it onto a cooling rack.

10. After cooling, enjoy!

(Credits go to Ellen Berry)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas