Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I'm so sorry about your anxiety. I have a severe anxiety disorder so I know how rattling it can be. Foods with B12 in it are really good for it because it helps the nervous system. Sometimes I take supplements of it if I feel really exhausted or weak. Getting enough vitamin D is important too.

The main thing is to eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals because your body can't survive or function properly without them. Depression and anxiety can be affected by a poor diet lacking in these things.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Triumphic W I N

Whenever I had an anxiety attack they would give me a cold cola. The caffeine was supposed to calm me down. (I don't completely know the logic in that, but 7/10 times it helped.)

You may need to drink more than one though.

But, honestly, captivating your mind is a lot easier to get rid of the attacks. And I'm not talking movies. That doesn't take much brain power to process. Play some logic game, or a questions game where you actually have to think to do it. Distractions is amazing.User Image
User Image

A good psychiatrist would urge against that so I'm not sure who told you to do that. Are you sure it's anxiety and not asthma? Because I use caffeinated beverages when I have asthma attacks and they can sometimes feel like a panic attack.

9,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Generous 100
Milk is a sedative and so are other foods with calcium in them: most dairy products and anything with bones in it, like canned salmon with bones, or soup made from boiled bones where the broth jells when it is chilled.
Simple carbohydrates are sedatives too but can lead to yo-yoing blood sugar, so not necessarily a safe direction.
Turkey is another sedative food because of the tryptophans.

Rather than diet consider:
Exercise is very helpful for anxiety. (Not for stopping an anxiety attack) Regular daily exercise is the single best thing you can do for anxiety.
Self talk is very helpful for anxiety.
Human contact can be very helpful for anxiety for some people - if this works for you, several firm hugs for a couple of minutes duration a few times a day could help. Failing someone giving you hugs you can try hugging the family dog, if you have one and he/she likes the contact. Failing that anything that gives you a sensation of being hugged such as wrapping yourself up tightly in a thick blanket or coat, lying under you mattress or wedging yourself into some small space can be calming.
Meditation is also good for anxiety.

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Befriended 100
I feel your pain! There are so many comfort foods but usually their fattening but try avacados and dark dark chocolate (not necessarilly together. They won't make you really fat.
I have generalized anxiety issues and tea seems to help quite a bit chamomile is great catnip is supposed to be calming for people but I haven't tried that yet...
Drink some calming teas, my friend had some and I forgot what it's called but she said it worked wonders for her anxiety.
Diet and exercise will do alot to aid your anxiety, especially exercise because us anxiety folk have overactive adrenaline glands and exercise can get some of that out. My way of controlling my anxiety is knowing how to control myself and my brain (tricking myself), try meditating and when you feel an attack coming on try to clear your mind and meditate on the spot if possible. I still get anxious but some self help techniques can help you loads in the long run.

Fashionable Shopper

7,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Well that's new. I didn't even know that~

Liberal Gekko

6,400 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
my husband has anxiety... didnt know it was so hard to cope with...
skim milk, dark chocolate, oatmeal and salmon, blueberries helps fight anxiety
Chamomile tea honestly does wonders.

Caffeine should likely be eliminated altogether if possible. If its not possible, as odd as this sounds, the second best idea is to drink caffeine based products regularly instead of every so often. You don't really get the jitters so much if your body is getting it regularly. Withdrawal can be a b***h though so watch out for that.

Some foods thought to be good for anxiety include (only listing ones that have seemed to help me)

Peaches
Acacia berries
Blueberries
Almonds
Beans
Greek Yoghurt
Beef

Anxious Regular

8,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Renaise
Chamomile tea honestly does wonders.

Caffeine should likely be eliminated altogether if possible. If its not possible, as odd as this sounds, the second best idea is to drink caffeine based products regularly instead of every so often. You don't really get the jitters so much if your body is getting it regularly. Withdrawal can be a b***h though so watch out for that.

Some foods thought to be good for anxiety include (only listing ones that have seemed to help me)

Peaches
Acacia berries
Blueberries
Almonds
Beans
Greek Yoghurt
Beef

Yeah, I drink chamomile tea every so often to relax. Thanks for your advice :3
You can try valerian root I used it for my anxiety which was very severe and would lead to daily panic attacks it helped me alot.

Anxious Regular

8,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
pin it up
You can try valerian root I used it for my anxiety which was very severe and would lead to daily panic attacks it helped me alot.

never heard of it, but I'll look into it. Thanks

IRL Fatcat

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Loiterer 100
My mom told me about this anti-anxiety tea she saw on Doctor Oz called Wu-Wei Zi Tea that helps fight anxiety and fatigue and it also helps with your immune system and overall body performance. It's best to take it in the morning.
Wu-Wei Zi Tea:
-1 tbsp dried schizandra berries in steeper to 1 cup of boiling water.
-Reduce to low heat.
-Steep 15 mins.
-Add lemon and honey as desired.

You'll probably be able to find the materials at asian grocery stores or your local health food stores as well as anywhere that's big on tea/herb products.

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Try food.com and health.com and look up stuff about anxiety. I looked up foods for me because I have mild anxiety from too many sugars and caffiene and I got heart palpitations from drinking too much espresso. Definetely avoid sugars and caffiene. Try taking B vitamins for energy instead. Or fruit drinks with extra B vitamins in them. Avoid coffee if at all possible or drink decaffinated coffee. Watch out for chais and tea too some are high in caffiene. I haven't really found any food that lower anxiety but I do know of ones that increase it. Binaural Beats and meditational music helps calm me down. I think walnuts and fish help maintain brain health. Mild amounts of dark chocolate have a way of increasing endorphines and making it possible for you to feel positive. Mild amounts of almost pure dark chocolate have said to make people feel happier some women had more endorphines from chocolate than sex. Potassium is great for upset stomachs caused by anxiety. Also try chamaille tea or chamamille extract it is a great herb for calming the senses. Just make sure you get decafinated forms of chamamille tea. Sleepy time works too if you want help sleeping at night. The tea has natural herbs to help you sleep.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff