Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Conversationalist

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Starting in September, I'll be living on my own and...well, let's just say I have a a typical university student's budget to work with. sweatdrop

Any tips/tricks/recipes for eating well on a tight budget, making food last longer, etc.?
Melody Niwa
Starting in September, I'll be living on my own and...well, let's just say I have a a typical university student's budget to work with. sweatdrop

Any tips/tricks/recipes for eating well on a tight budget, making food last longer, etc.?

First of all - CONGRATS on your education!!!

OK... this is ALOT easier than you realize but it requires some real strategizing on your part.

Here we go!

1.) Frozen vegetables.... quite often they come in a 1lb frozen bag and are priced anywhere from $.79-$1.19.

2.) Dried beans and lentils - GREAT filler and very cheap too! About $.79-$1.19 as well

3.) Dont be afraid to check out your grocery store's reduced rack - I cant tell you how much money I save on canned stewed tomatoes! Normally these 15oz cans are about $1.99/can. When they end up on the reduced rack, its because of a dent on the side of the can.. and then they reduce the price to $.75!!!!!! I have - literally 25-15oz cans of every canned tomato possible - diced, whole stewed, sauce, puree, paste...

4.) That reduced rack could also have canned beans as well, peanut butter... you name it, you will probably find it there!

5.) See if there is a fresh-produce reduced rack. Often (and this is a secret that most stores wont tell you), they dont always put borderline-bad produce there... they OFTEN will put FRESH produce just to move it from the shelves because they just got a new shipment in and have to put it out for the sales flyers!!!!! I bought 5lbs of rainbow peppers - IN PERFECT CONDITION for ONLY $.99/lb!!! These peppers normally go for $2.99/lb!!! Im telling ya - this rack can be a GOLD MINE!

6.) I dont know if you have any digestive issues, but ever thought about making your own pasta? Its MUCH cheaper than purchasing pasta in a box. There are tons of recipes for free online to make your own pasta right at home! And - hint-hint, you can make it in bulk and freeze it for future use! Or dry it out and put it in air-tight ziplock bags!

7.) For now while you are still on a budget, dont be afraid of canned tuna, shrimp, salmon, even sardines and mackerel - not sure if you like seafood but they tend to be very fairly priced!

8.) Peanut butter - Skippy makes a peanut butter all natural, and no hydrogenated fats.. .and tastes JUST like the real thing. Not bad priced either!

9.) Coupons coupons coupons! Tons are available for free online! Even by grocery store too!

10.) Fruit is available frozen without any added sugars and tends to be reasonably priced too. We can get 1-16oz bag of frozen blueberries (no sugar), for about $1.99. MUCH cheaper than a pint of fresh blueberries at $2.99!

11.) If you eat rice, get long-grain. Its healthier for you but you have to be really good at cooking rice (not minute rice, the variety that takes a good 20 minutes to cook)

12.) Embrace your local dollar store for common condiments like mustard, mayo, dried shaker spices, etc. Even olive oil is sold there too! Good savings!

These are just a few suggestions and examples.

If you ever are interested in some meal ideas, let me know as I have a culinary background and love sharing meal ideas!!!

Good luck, hun!

Quotable Conversationalist

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alexandretta
Melody Niwa

OK... this is ALOT easier than you realize but it requires some real strategizing on your part.

Here we go!

1.) Frozen vegetables.... quite often they come in a 1lb frozen bag and are priced anywhere from $.79-$1.19.

2.) Dried beans and lentils - GREAT filler and very cheap too! About $.79-$1.19 as well

3.) Dont be afraid to check out your grocery store's reduced rack - I cant tell you how much money I save on canned stewed tomatoes! Normally these 15oz cans are about $1.99/can. When they end up on the reduced rack, its because of a dent on the side of the can.. and then they reduce the price to $.75!!!!!! I have - literally 25-15oz cans of every canned tomato possible - diced, whole stewed, sauce, puree, paste...

4.) That reduced rack could also have canned beans as well, peanut butter... you name it, you will probably find it there!

5.) See if there is a fresh-produce reduced rack. Often (and this is a secret that most stores wont tell you), they dont always put borderline-bad produce there... they OFTEN will put FRESH produce just to move it from the shelves because they just got a new shipment in and have to put it out for the sales flyers!!!!! I bought 5lbs of rainbow peppers - IN PERFECT CONDITION for ONLY $.99/lb!!! These peppers normally go for $2.99/lb!!! Im telling ya - this rack can be a GOLD MINE!

6.) I dont know if you have any digestive issues, but ever thought about making your own pasta? Its MUCH cheaper than purchasing pasta in a box. There are tons of recipes for free online to make your own pasta right at home! And - hint-hint, you can make it in bulk and freeze it for future use! Or dry it out and put it in air-tight ziplock bags!

7.) For now while you are still on a budget, dont be afraid of canned tuna, shrimp, salmon, even sardines and mackerel - not sure if you like seafood but they tend to be very fairly priced!

8.) Peanut butter - Skippy makes a peanut butter all natural, and no hydrogenated fats.. .and tastes JUST like the real thing. Not bad priced either!

9.) Coupons coupons coupons! Tons are available for free online! Even by grocery store too!

10.) Fruit is available frozen without any added sugars and tends to be reasonably priced too. We can get 1-16oz bag of frozen blueberries (no sugar), for about $1.99. MUCH cheaper than a pint of fresh blueberries at $2.99!

11.) If you eat rice, get long-grain. Its healthier for you but you have to be really good at cooking rice (not minute rice, the variety that takes a good 20 minutes to cook)

12.) Embrace your local dollar store for common condiments like mustard, mayo, dried shaker spices, etc. Even olive oil is sold there too! Good savings!

If you ever are interested in some meal ideas, let me know as I have a culinary background and love sharing meal ideas!!!

Good luck, hun!

Well that's just fantastic! I never would have thought about making my own pasta surprised

Thanks! smile
OHHHHHHH once you start making homemade pasta, its hard to stop!!!!

Youtube has TONS of free videos on recipes and how to make them!

Matter of fact, Im planning on a Malaysian dish called Mee Goreng... it calls for fresh-made noodles and Im sooooo very much looking forward to making them too! LOL!

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Melody Niwa

ramen noodles with some chicken and eggs. peanut butter sandwiches. i gfot one recipe given from a family friend. Cook some mac and cheese, add some tuna (1 or 2 cans) and a can of peas. SOunds weird but taste good
Budget Bytes is a great website for breaking down approximate prices per meal. Eating healthy is more of how you portion yourself and learning moderation for everything. The site is definitely better for if you have a bit of a pantry for storage.

I'd check out their Principles page for more tips that sound like common sense: plan your meals, use ingredients wisely, portion control, don't be afraid of leftovers, the freezer is your friend, shop wisely.

Versatile Poster

4,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Wall Street 200
Alexandretta

Good luck, hun!

Woo! Some awesome ideas there! Thanks!
Think of it this way.
A fresh, raw sirloin steak tends to be cheaper than your average microwave dinner.

Hilarious Seeker

you should probably get used to preparing meals every week if you want fresh ingredients and to maintain you budget you should come up with a meal guide to stick to.

I like making my own flour with air tight jars of raw grains, you can make any kind of bread with milled flour and plus you know whats in it.

the options are endless, almond rolls, oatmeal muffins, begets, tortillas, pretzels, sugerless pastries with berry filling ect.

its some ideas depends on what kind of sitchuation you live in though.
If you have any bulk food stores like Bulkbarn (I live in Canada, I dont know the name of any bulk food stores in other countries sorry) then go there to get your spices and flavorings like garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, ect. then just get little containers from a dollar store and label them. It was CRAZY how much grocery stores charge in comparison so if you are doing a lot of home cooking then its definitely worth it.
Best of luck!

Dangerous Lunatic

2,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I invested in a rice cooker/veggie steamer combo for $20 from Target, and it has been amazing. Rice and veggies are so inexpensive, and with the cooker/steamer, it always comes out right because it stops cooking when all the water inside evaporates. Its surprising the number of things you can do with rice and veggies. You can buy big bags of rice for only a couple dollars and it lasts a while since rice expands 2-3 times the size once its cooked. I eat a lot of rice since I need to be frugal with my money, and have not gotten bored with it yet because I try to do different things with it each time, if I can.

Playful Guildswoman

Alexandretta
Melody Niwa

Here we go!

Good luck, hun!

Filing your name for future reference! Just a couple things I noticed - never buy green beans in dented cans, they are more prone to bacteria. Always check for rust on dented cans or tomato products, and don't buy those. Lentils and split peas cook quickly, without needing to be soaked like other beans. A fresh onion or garlic are kitchen essentials. In my kitchen, tarragon, Herbes de Provence, and dill are essential herbs. Have fun experimenting, once you get a few basic recipes down!

Playful Guildswoman

Firiona
Budget Bytes is a great website for breaking down approximate prices per meal. Eating healthy is more of how you portion yourself and learning moderation for everything. The site is definitely better for if you have a bit of a pantry for storage.

I'd check out their Principles page for more tips that sound like common sense: plan your meals, use ingredients wisely, portion control, don't be afraid of leftovers, the freezer is your friend, shop wisely.

I bookmarked Budget Bytes. Ty! 4laugh

Playful Guildswoman

bunnyhavoc
Melody Niwa

ramen noodles with some chicken and eggs. peanut butter sandwiches. i gfot one recipe given from a family friend. Cook some mac and cheese, add some tuna (1 or 2 cans) and a can of peas. SOunds weird but taste good

Here's an easy recipe I got from a college classmate: 1 can tomatoes (large ones), 1 lb. macaroni or other pasta, 1 can corn or green beans, 1 lb. hamburger. Fry the hamburger and make the pasta, then add veggies and hamburger to pasta. Cooks up fast and tastes good. Don't make it a staple, consider it your 'fast food.'

Playful Guildswoman

Another fast food - 3 Bean Salad.

1 can kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (same thing), 1 can green beans, 1/2-1 can black olives (pitted). Rinse all if you want to lower salt content. Chop in 1/2 red onion, pour olive oil over it and mix, then pour vinegar (I use rice vinegar) over that and sprinkle in dried dill. Mix well and refrigerate or eat as is, it's more flavorful if left overnight.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff