Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Hello everyone. I have a pumpkin that's been sitting on my table since probably mid-October. It looks like it's still good, but I'm getting ready for Christmas and want to cook the pumpkin soon. Does anyone have a delicious, vegan recipe with simple ingredients, that you've tried and can testify is good? By vegan, I mean it just doesn't have any animal products, but if it uses milk, I can add some other kind of vegan milk, so if you've at least got a vegetarian, eggless recipe, would you please share it with me? Please and thank you? cheese_whine

High-functioning Loverboy

I just made a pretty killer pumpkin/sweet potato soup last month. This is how I did it.

Wrap a couple of sweet potatoes in foil and put them in the oven at 350 for two hours
Cut your pumpkin in half, de-seed, and rub some olive oil over the pumpkin, so it doesn't burn on the pan and let it cook next to the sweet potato. You could also salt and season the seeds and let them roast in the oven too, just add some oil and check them. It would be a great garnish for when the soup is done.

Chop up an onion and a clove of garlic
Gather your spices - Nutmeg, Clove, Cinnamon, Salt, Ginger.

When everything is cooked, scrape out the pumpkin, and peel the potatoes, set them aside in a bowl together.

Cook the onions and garlic until translucent, add some spices to flavor the onions a bit.
Add in some veggie broth and bring your bowl of pumpkin + yam over and stir it around a bit.
Once it comes to a boil, let it simmer and stew at a lower temperature.

You have a few options at this point.. if you're wanting a "creamy" bisque style soup I would recommend soaking cashews before anything to make a "cashew cream" just add your soaked cashews covered in water to a blender with a dash of nutmeg. You can add this "cream" at the end to thicken and make the soup a little richer. If this is too much work, than you can just add a bit of salted soymilk, which should be fine.

Last step would be either blend with an immersion blender, or just transfer the soup to a regular blender and blend in batches. You should come out with a super nice creamy pumpkin soup. Just adjust the spices to taste. heart

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Thank you. It looks delicious. Sadly, I don't have my pumpkin anymore. I was trying to make some pumpkin soup (would not have been as good of a recipe though, I'm sure, so I want to try yours), but got discouraged because I was so busy that day. I ended up throwing out the pumpkin and cried about it later. There is next year though, I hope. I do have some sweet potatoes though. Would it work with just sweet potatoes and/or maybe some other type of squash?

High-functioning Loverboy

Yeah, definitely! Butternut squash would be great. You could even roast a head of garlic in the oven and blend that baby up in there, too. wink

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Ok. Thank you! It may be a while before I try it, but I will let you know when I do. heart

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
I never did try that recipe. I did create a pumpkin soup recipe of my own though. I don't remember liking it, because I put leeks in it and the two didn't go well. I'm enjoying pumpkin more lately though smile .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff