Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been wondering if any has ever had any type of meat aspic because I'm curious of how it tastes.So please give me your thoughts and opinions on it.Thanks <3

Hilarious Gaian

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Consumer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I will say this...it tastes quite strange..like meat jello. In my culinary arts class we had a segment dealing with aspic and I found it difficult to handle..I just can't get past the gel like texture and flavor of it.
Lolita_Star20
I will say this...it tastes quite strange..like meat jello. In my culinary arts class we had a segment dealing with aspic and I found it difficult to handle..I just can't get past the gel like texture and flavor of it.
Oh okay I would imagine the texture and flavor to be rather strange.thanks for responding!o(^▽^)o

Hilarious Gaian

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Consumer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Earlgreyteamaid
Lolita_Star20
Oh okay I would imagine the texture and flavor to be rather strange.thanks for responding!o(^▽^)o

Yeah. My chef had us all make different things with it..The smell is pretty stinky so it was turn off to meat and you eat it cold too so the flavor can be a bit overwhelming if you don't love the stuff.

Beloved Hunter

I found aspics to have a bit of a denser mouth feel than Jell-o. Flavor is odd.. it does not smell highly appetizing...

Loiterer

Where Í´m from they make it every year for Christmas ,quite depressing to have such gross dishes as holiday ones innit?

They can be made out of pork , fish or vegetables. It´s a thicker jello , it´s kind of greasy and it tastes like the meat close to the bone does on fried chicken wings. It´s eaten with home made bread and salt pepper and paprika .

It doesn´t taste bad and I´m used to the consistency but I am not very keen on it , my godmother makes it every year and serves it when we go over :´( apparently her family likes it ~ her husband and sons are tall and super buff and I think they would eat anything if it had meat in it ~however my family isn´t fond of greasy refrigerated pork limb jello.

The vegetable one is made out of carrots peas green beans et caetera with broth and it´s just a way toserve vegetables in a fancy way, it doesn´t taste that special and it also is super annoying cause the when you want to cut a piece all the vegetables come out of the jello, and if it´s hot in the room the aspic melts it´s such a bother.

9,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Generous 100
Well, what you need is a chunk of meat of some type with bone in it. You spice it nicely with some salt and whatever herbs or garlic or stuff you like. And then you cook it slowly for a long time so that you end up with a broth. This is very much like when you make soup. You usually have to add water to get broth, and adding water works better if you are also going to eat your meat because otherwise it ends up really dry and grainy. If you want a clear aspic you don't stir it or let anything make it get mixed up so that the albumin and the fat stays on the top - if you are simmering it you will see scum float to the top of your broth but you can skim it off. If you boil it hard the liquid will mix on its own so it will get cloudy. The low temperature is important if you want it pretty looking. If you have put your chunk of meat and bone in a roasting pan in the oven you will have to wait until it is done. It's perfectly okay to eat the albumin if it does all get mixed in. It's just not as pretty. Albumin is the same protein you get in egg whites.

You need to cook it for long enough that the liquid gets reduced as well as turning a nice colour. Then you take it off the heat or out of the oven and you do nothing at all with it until it is cool at which point the fat will have risen to the top and so will any albumin and stuff like that, so you can take the top layer off if you want to.

If you do a beef roast with just enough liquid and just enough fat the liquid becomes two layers, the brown clear jelly below and the whiter fat above. This is called dripping. You store it in the fridge and when you are hungry you spread it on bread, preferably a robust sort of bread like a cottage loaf, not something fluffy. Bread and dripping is traditional. However mostly now the roasts don't have enough fat on them to make the dripping, so if you want to make bread and dripping you have to put fat in with the roast. This is not a bad thing, because it works perfectly well with a healthy type of margarine. You get beef flavoured fat which is really a soft vegetable oil.

The jelly is nice stuff. It tastes fine cold, just the same way that slices of roast taste fine when they are cold.

To make jellied tongue you need to get the bones with the tongue and that is usually hard to do, but the skin on the tongue might be enough to make jelly and you can always put in a shank bone with the tongue so as to make sure or a spoonful of granulated gelatin. Once the tongue is well cooked you cool it so you can skin it, and then you chop it up into chunks and cook it together with the broth some more and finally you put it into a loaf pan and cool it and if you have done it right the jelly will be sturdy enough that you can slice it. If you heat up the jelly it turns into liquid and when you cool it again it turns solid.

If you don't want your jelly tasting like meat because you are going to put fruit and sugar into it, it is much harder. Then you have to take every scrap of the meat off the bones and the tissue. You usually try taking an animals foot, with the bones and the sinews and the skin and then you are going to have to strain it, using a fine sort of cloth. I've never done this.

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
If you look at some cookbooks in the fifties, they have rather disturbing pictures of aspic in action.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Bon Appetit. yum_puddi

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces