Welcome to Gaia! ::

I want to start off by saying I am not a politician, I do not spend all day researching this issue. Respect my view and I will respect yours. I know this is a very touchy and heated topic for a lot of people. So if I have some of my facts wrong, go ahead and correct me, that's partially why I'm posting this. It's so hard to find accurate information on this topic.

This health care issue and basically most of the things Obama is trying to do seem like they are going to hurt people my age. I'm 19 years old, and I'm in college. I couldn't get any scholarships because I'm an average middle class girl. I am average in school, not outstanding, but I don't do poor. I have about a B average. I could NOT get scholarships. I hate to say it, but there were 2 reasons, one being I don't have a 4.0 or I wasn't a valedictorian, and I'm not a minority. Where I live it's hard to find a job, even a fast food job. I have had my job for 2 and a half years, my first job ever, and I've been searching for months for a new one. I've never had a write up at work, I rarely call off unless I really need to. Blah blah, basically, I am a good citizen and I do my part. I always pay my credit card bills on time. I am currently under my family's health insurance, and my dad works for a very good company, Proctor and Gamble, and he has for 23 years.

Now I move to my current health insurance. Due to a lot of the heath care crap going on, the heath care companies have had to make changes to support whatever they have to. One of those changes has affected me, we have a 500 dollar deductible now. I know that's normal for a lot of people, but in my opinion that sucks so bad. Because even though I live with my parents and they both have good jobs, they also have bills, and our mortgage has gone up 400 dollars within the past year. So I have to pay this new fee. People get sick. It's a given. It costs 80 dollars to see my doctor, that's just to walk in the door. For tests for things like strep throat, I think on a bill I saw that that is another 130 dollars. So if I have strep throat, well even better example, I had tonsillitis last year. I have to pay 210 dollars to call off work. With jobs being lost everyday, and jobs being harder to find, this really sucks. I have to have a doctors note to call off work. HAVE TO. A lot of places are like this too. Is this how it's going to be if we don't accept this universal health care? Are the people that already have insurance going to be charged so much extra because of this? It's not fair.

If universal heath care was installed, and it worked, I'd be all for it. Personally I think our country is too far along and too big to do this right now. With issues like the unemployment rate, and taxes getting higher every year, I don't think it's going to work well. I am so scared for the time to come where I move out, and have to pay rent, utilities, pay taxes, pay car insurance, maybe pay health insurance, and support those people who can't afford their own insurance? I understand that some people are unable to work. There will always be people who cannot work. But there are a staggering amount of people who can work but refuse to. I had a conversation with a woman a week ago where she asked me why she should work when the government and other people are just going to pay her to sit at home. There are a lot of people who adopt children just for the money involved. There are people who keep having children when they already have 6,7,8, and they can't even support them.

I go back to my point about all of the things someone on their own has to pay for. If I'm still in college, and I have all those bills, and I have to eventually start paying my loans back, what the hell am I going to do? You can barely get a good job while you're in college without some kind of degree. I know a lot of people are in my same position and they make ends meet, but while I'm in college, working 40 hours a week isn't something I'd LIKE to do but it seems like I will have to. There are so many things that scare me about my future in this country. If taxes keep being put in place for arbitrary things, isn't this going against what was promised when we elected this man into office? Didn't he promise that this wouldn't happen? Why am I, just in my fast food job, and my parents paying for all of this? What did we do? Taxes are a given, but the increases?
There are so many rumors going around about this health care plan. I wish some of my questions were answered.

Did Welfare really increase 22% in funding recently? And if so, WHY?

Is it true that if you are on the universal health care plan, when you die, half of your assets go to the government? So my fathers 700k pension from working all of his life will just be taken?

If you don't get the health care, supposedly you'll be fined more and more every year-- why don't they just take the money out of said person's tax returns instead of fining them?

Are school loans REALLY going to be taxed for this?

Like I said in the beginning of my post, I am not a politician, I just hear what the news says when I pay attention to it, or if an article catches my eye. My dad is very adamant about learning about this plan, but who knows if some of his sources are wrong. The thought of how this country is turning out is scary, and it makes me feel like I'll never be able to make a life for myself.
20 here, junior in college, and I've never had a scholarship.

But my personal info aside, let's address some of the questions you posted:

Quote:

Is it true that if you are on the universal health care plan, when you die, half of your assets go to the government? So my fathers 700k pension from working all of his life will just be taken?

If you don't get the health care, supposedly you'll be fined more and more every year-- why don't they just take the money out of said person's tax returns instead of fining them?

Welfare did increase, but it's a result of the higher unemployment numbers - BUT, when we do factor in that these were new cases, it should be apparent that it's due to a lagging economy - more people with less jobs apply for welfare.

The second question, even running searches in the text of the bill - there is no indication that half of the assets you own will go to the government. Pensions however, still are taxed, but depends on your state - different states have different rates.

And the fine is in the tax forms. People will be given options to buy insurance or apply for a subsidy to purchase on their form when they file. If they refuse to, there will be an additional cost tacked on. (Look at who helped write the bill and you'll know why this is.)

There is a final cap on the fines too, 2.5% of annual gross income, but note, that is only if you refuse to purchase a plan (either with subsidy or not). HOWEVER, it does not disqualify someone for applying the next year, or the next, for a subsidy or plan. It's a crap compromise made in the final moments - private insurance should have NOT been allowed to help write the bill.

The student loan reforms enacted bizarrely at the same time as healthcare reform have a net benefit for us. Funds saved by reforming student loans that is used by health care is more than offset by $13.18 billion in education investments - they're wanting to lower and cap interest rates on loans (and in some cases forgive them all together!).

Essentially we're not going to be personally taxed for our student loans (there will be a tax ON student loans, but the caps on interest rates means that we won't see a large disparity in what we're paying now, in fact, when we're paying them off we'll be making smaller payments).

As for the increases in copay and doctors' costs, insurance companies have been routinely shorting payments to doctors. Doctors complaining they are underpaid aren't being underpaid by patients, but by insurance companies, and have been for years.
Get Heady
20 here, junior in college, and I've never had a scholarship.

But my personal info aside, let's address some of the questions you posted:

Quote:

Welfare did increase, but it's a result of the higher unemployment numbers - BUT, when we do factor in that these were new cases, it should be apparent that it's due to a lagging economy - more people with less jobs apply for welfare.
Quote:
I guess that makes sense, but there is a difference between unemployment and welfare. I personally don't know the requirements or whatever between the,.

The second question, even running searches in the text of the bill - there is no indication that half of the assets you own will go to the government. Pensions however, still are taxed, but depends on your state - different states have different rates.
Quote:
I really hope you're right on this one.

And the fine is in the tax forms. People will be given options to buy insurance or apply for a subsidy to purchase on their form when they file. If they refuse to, there will be an additional cost tacked on. (Look at who helped write the bill and you'll know why this is.)

There is a final cap on the fines too, 2.5% of annual gross income, but note, that is only if you refuse to purchase a plan (either with subsidy or not). HOWEVER, it does not disqualify someone for applying the next year, or the next, for a subsidy or plan. It's a crap compromise made in the final moments - private insurance should have NOT been allowed to help write the bill.

The student loan reforms enacted bizarrely at the same time as healthcare reform have a net benefit for us. Funds saved by reforming student loans that is used by health care is more than offset by $13.18 billion in education investments - they're wanting to lower and cap interest rates on loans (and in some cases forgive them all together!).

Essentially we're not going to be personally taxed for our student loans (there will be a tax ON student loans, but the caps on interest rates means that we won't see a large disparity in what we're paying now, in fact, when we're paying them off we'll be making smaller payments).

As for the increases in copay and doctors' costs, insurance companies have been routinely shorting payments to doctors. Doctors complaining they are underpaid aren't being underpaid by patients, but by insurance companies, and have been for years.

As for everything else, it would be awesome if my loans would be forgiven or something. -_- Even at a community college my $4,000 loan bill is daunting to me. I can add more to this later but thankfully I have a job interview.

Magnetic Genius

To answer one of your questions that I know I know the answer to (lol i think it's the only one I'm certain about). If you work for minimum wage, you definitely won't be paying for other people. Universal healthcare is an option for those who can't afford - like those who work for minimum wage. And the people who will get fined by not having the option or any other kind of healthcare, have to be making a minimum of 400% of the minimum wage where they live, which the federal minimum wage is going to be 7.25/hour sometime this year. This means that at the very least, someone would have to be making around $28/hour, or more. I don't know the specifics, but I'm certain different rules apply based on how much you work as well. The people who generally get the most pissed about this are the ones who don't like the idea of paying more because they make more and also (even though they will probably do it anyways) feel the government shouldn't have the to impose upon them as to whther or not they have health care. The idea of spreading the wealth around is to help those people who don't make as much, like you and your parents. My girlfriend is from Austria, and they do this there. Her parents make a decent living as her mom is a teacher and her dad was one before he retired. They're not rich either, though. Her mom pays between 40 - 45% taxes, and her dad pays around 45 - 50%. This seems like a lot, but the thing is, if they weren't paying that difference, which is only around 15 - 20% from what we have already, they'd have a lot less. Those taxes pay for their healthcare, their pensions, social security, compensation for loss of limb(s), child support, and a bunch of other things that make it a much nicer living standard. For example, over there, if you go to college, you don't pay to go AND your parents recieve between $250 - $300 per month - just for ONE child to go to college. Another thing that happens is if you're a young, single mother and you don't know how to do a lot of the things you need to for your baby, or you simply need help because you want to go back to school, or simply because it's hard being a single mom, the state sends someone to help you with the baby, with cleaning, cooking - everything - and pays you child support for the baby - a little less than $200 [per baby] - and you pay less taxes because you have a kid or kids AND on top of not paying for school, you get paid to go to school! This all of course depends how old you are, but the child support lasts until you're 26 if you're in school!

Magnetic Genius

their whole thing is that it's better for the country as a whole to have educated people working better jobs that to have lesser educated people working crappy jobs. it's an investment. it's also nice too because if you think about how they're not paying for healthcare or for their kids to go to school, if they have a kid that's not the degree type of person, it's way easier to help support that kid until they have a higher paying job that they got by working through the ranks of the low jobs. It's all about making the country better, and making it so people don't have to struggle so much. The best metaphor I can think of for it is that it's like costco or sam's club. if you buy everything in the small packages and the small cans and boxes and things, it's going to cost more over time, because you're paying for the individual packaging of all those things. but, if you go to a place where you can buy things in bulk, you save money because you're not doing that. and yes, there are some smaller families with only 1 or 2 people (possibly 3, but usually it still makes more sense for bulk with even as little as 3 family members) where it makes less sense to buy in bulk, because things don't need to go as far, but for most people it does make sense. It's the same with healthcare and for paying more in taxes. For most people, it's going to help them more. They won't be paying to have healthcare here, dental there, pension here, college for the kids there, etc. It'll all be going the same way. With paying for each of those individual places, they're most likely going be trying to make a profit as well, meaning you'll be paying even more. However, for a few people, it makes sense to go the other route, which is why the healthcare would only include a public option, so that if you wanted to pay less taxes and pay for each doctor or college fund individually (this makes more sense for people without kids), you can choose to do so. It's a matter of breaking it up, or just putting it all together, basically. And like I said before, if you make under a certain amount, you won't be fined for not having healthcare and you'd be paying less taxes.
As far as I'm aware, this new bill allows you to be covered under your parents' insurance until the age of 27. You live with your parents. What fee would you have to pay?

EDIT: On a side note, this bill won't fully become active until 2014. You have time.
caibutterfly1689
To answer one of your questions that I know I know the answer to (lol i think it's the only one I'm certain about). If you work for minimum wage, you definitely won't be paying for other people. Universal healthcare is an option for those who can't afford - like those who work for minimum wage. And the people who will get fined by not having the option or any other kind of healthcare, have to be making a minimum of 400% of the minimum wage where they live, which the federal minimum wage is going to be 7.25/hour sometime this year. This means that at the very least, someone would have to be making around $28/hour, or more. I don't know the specifics, but I'm certain different rules apply based on how much you work as well. The people who generally get the most pissed about this are the ones who don't like the idea of paying more because they make more and also (even though they will probably do it anyways) feel the government shouldn't have the to impose upon them as to whther or not they have health care. The idea of spreading the wealth around is to help those people who don't make as much, like you and your parents. My girlfriend is from Austria, and they do this there. Her parents make a decent living as her mom is a teacher and her dad was one before he retired. They're not rich either, though. Her mom pays between 40 - 45% taxes, and her dad pays around 45 - 50%. This seems like a lot, but the thing is, if they weren't paying that difference, which is only around 15 - 20% from what we have already, they'd have a lot less. Those taxes pay for their healthcare, their pensions, social security, compensation for loss of limb(s), child support, and a bunch of other things that make it a much nicer living standard. For example, over there, if you go to college, you don't pay to go AND your parents recieve between $250 - $300 per month - just for ONE child to go to college. Another thing that happens is if you're a young, single mother and you don't know how to do a lot of the things you need to for your baby, or you simply need help because you want to go back to school, or simply because it's hard being a single mom, the state sends someone to help you with the baby, with cleaning, cooking - everything - and pays you child support for the baby - a little less than $200 [per baby] - and you pay less taxes because you have a kid or kids AND on top of not paying for school, you get paid to go to school! This all of course depends how old you are, but the child support lasts until you're 26 if you're in school!

I feel like me working at the job I'm at now-- I make $7.75 an hour, I'm being taxed a lot. If I make a $400 dollar pay check, about 65-75 dollars are taken for taxes. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but if you're living on your own...that's a lot of money...that's a month and a half of groceries if you're a good shopper.
PenguDeus
As far as I'm aware, this new bill allows you to be covered under your parents' insurance until the age of 27. You live with your parents. What fee would you have to pay?

EDIT: On a side note, this bill won't fully become active until 2014. You have time.

Money still comes out of my paycheck every 2 weeks for things like Medicare and about 5 other things as it is. And I might not have the choice of moving out within the next 2 years. My dad is getting relocated with work, and I do not wish to. I have a boyfriend, friends, school, and a job here.

7,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
O h 1 o
PenguDeus

Money still comes out of my paycheck every 2 weeks for things like Medicare and about 5 other things as it is. And I might not have the choice of moving out within the next 2 years. My dad is getting relocated with work, and I do not wish to. I have a boyfriend, friends, school, and a job here.

Life's full of tough choices, innit?
well i realise im diagnosed with bipolar disorder, if the world goes to crap with this health care reform to support myself all i gotta do is say "Im nuts! gimme gimme gimme!"

7,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Donni Donaldson
well i realise im diagnosed with bipolar disorder, if the world goes to crap with this health care reform to support myself all i gotta do is say "Im nuts! gimme gimme gimme!"

Good luck with that. My brother is Bipolar, he couldn't even get on medicare.
crystal_pepzi
Donni Donaldson

Good luck with that. My brother is Bipolar, he couldn't even get on medicare.

well this new healthcare reform seems to wanna treat us like sicklys rather than liabilitys. But yeah i cant qualify for medical insurance on my own, due to a pre existing medical condition, my dad is kind of like "you need insurance" im like "you should have thought of that 13 years ago when you dragged me kicking and screaming to the shrink and got me diagnosed moron"

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Brandisher 100
crystal_pepzi
O h 1 o
PenguDeus

Life's full of tough choices, innit?
LOL, Ursula says that on the Little Mermaid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff