< 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 >

Princess Z-M
can we start paying teachers more now?

Hmm... are you a teacher by any chance? eek
M. Angel
Mei tsuki7
M. Angel
Mei tsuki7

It leads to apathy and not giving a s**t about anyone else but yourself.

You're point being?

Well I kind of see those things as rather bad.

Ah, okay.

Well the US is built on that idea, and living in the US I had to ask.

Why do you feel that way though? If I'm making a living and struggling to try to provide for my self and my family why should I care about someone else?

Yeah I know it's kind of built on that idea. Capitalism itself is built on an idea of individualism. It's one of the points on my list of reasons to move to another country.

I feel like a country and it's citizens have the duty to take care of all the citizens before anything else. I feel that that is patriotism, not some idea that you have to always agree with the government like has been said in the past. Patriotism is helping our country grow from the ground up and that includes helping everyone.
Blakaize
I'm very pleased the bill went through.
This bill will help those less fortunate from getting unfairly treated by the insurance companies. This will also keep the insurance companies for, say, dropping a three year old with leukemia because of her 'pre-existing condition.' I've witnessed this with my own two eyes, as I work at a hospital with a large pediatric unit. The child was dropped and we had to stop providing vital care. She died three days later.
The taxes will be on the very rich, the people who make 250k or more a year, so I very much doubt all the people on here who are bitching and moaning over 'taxes' really have anything to b***h and moan about, unless of course, they're all closet millionaires, in which case, you need to start paying your fair share, dammit. Bush gave you tax cuts, now it's time to pay it forward, asshats.
As for the 'abortion thing,' there is no government anywhere that would ever pay for an abortion, and the Reps not only wanted the government plan to not give abortions, they wanted no plan anywhere, under any insurance, anywhere to help pay for an abortion. This is a severe attempt to infringe upon woman's rights and force their own agendas, which, excuse me, wasn't that what they were bitching about the Dems doing? Hypocrites.
I get health care through my work, and I will continue to receive this health care. It wasn't for me that I wanted this bill passed, it was for the people in this country that have to choose between groceries and medical attention. Compassion is what separates us from the animals, so many people forget this. As for the people who say "they should get a job, like everyone else," I remind you of the economy and that some places are just not hiring. What then? I find it shocking so many people are comfortable with letting their fellow American die, rather than show the tiniest bit of selflessness.

I could go through all of this, but I'm getting tired and hungry, so I'll just address the bolded:

Souls are what separate us from animals. My doggie shows me compassion every day.

If you join the military, then you get benefits. If you can't get a job, then there are always options, especially if the other choice is death from no insurance.

I could argue this in two ways, first from the hard a** line that we're already suffering from overpopulation that's driving down wages and so there's really not all that much of a problem, but that would be uncharacteristically cruel. Thus, I turn to ask how I, getting nothing out of this bill while insurance companies get rich from the Americans, both through private money AND taxpayer money, is showing the tiniest bit of selflessness. It seems like a gut punch.
Prove you have a soul.
marinebase7
M. Angel
marinebase7
M. Angel
marinebase7
M. Angel

Very carefully. And right now there's only one bill to focus on, the one that just got passed.

Is that the good one or the bad one?

The bad one. Although it's supposed to lose some of the pork before it's voted in the senate one last time. Doesn't help much though...

So... can we still be celebrating? And what? It's going to be voted in senate again??

Nope. This is bad because it screws stuff up, give a huge amount of money to certain states, and requires EVERYONE in the U.S.A. to get health insurance. The last is especially bad because it doesn't create any competition for insurance companies AND the government will give people who can't afford it money so they can buy health insurance, so they're (companies) going to get rich and those who already have insurance are getting absolutely nothing, while our tax dollars are spent.

There are several Dems that want to cut a lot of the pet projects from the current bill, (so as not to completely commit political suicide), so a process is being used that will allow for budget only changes. That final bill will be voted again in the senate where they will only need a 51% majority.

So... the healthcare idea is overall a bad idea?

The current one.

There's no competition. No start-ups for private, non-profit insurance companies. No measures to handle waste in the system. No preventions against unreasonable lawsuits against doctors that may or may not have made a mistake (where there is a LOT of money spent). There's special spending being given to only certain states to some get free rides because their senators had to be bought off. Yeah, the health care idea as it is, is a bad idea.
Jomei_S
Prove you have a soul.

I'll prove it to you after I die.

Beloved Sweetheart

M. Angel
Blakaize
This bill will help those less fortunate from getting unfairly treated by the insurance companies. This will also keep the insurance companies for, say, dropping a three year old with leukemia because of her 'pre-existing condition.' I've witnessed this with my own two eyes, as I work at a hospital with a large pediatric unit. The child was dropped and we had to stop providing vital care. She died three days later.
The taxes will be on the very rich, the people who make 250k or more a year, so I very much doubt all the people on here who are bitching and moaning over 'taxes' really have anything to b***h and moan about, unless of course, they're all closet millionaires, in which case, you need to start paying your fair share, dammit. Bush gave you tax cuts, now it's time to pay it forward, asshats.
As for the 'abortion thing,' there is no government anywhere that would ever pay for an abortion, and the Reps not only wanted the government plan to not give abortions, they wanted no plan anywhere, under any insurance, anywhere to help pay for an abortion. This is a severe attempt to infringe upon woman's rights and force their own agendas, which, excuse me, wasn't that what they were bitching about the Dems doing? Hypocrites.
I get health care through my work, and I will continue to receive this health care. It wasn't for me that I wanted this bill passed, it was for the people in this country that have to choose between groceries and medical attention. Compassion is what separates us from the animals, so many people forget this. As for the people who say "they should get a job, like everyone else," I remind you of the economy and that some places are just not hiring. What then? I find it shocking so many people are comfortable with letting their fellow American die, rather than show the tiniest bit of selflessness.

I could go through all of this, but I'm getting tired and hungry, so I'll just address the bolded:

Souls are what separate us from animals. My doggie shows me compassion every day.

If you join the military, then you get benefits. If you can't get a job, then there are always options, especially if the other choice is death from no insurance.

I could argue this in two ways, first from the hard a** line that we're already suffering from overpopulation that's driving down wages and so there's really not all that much of a problem, but that would be uncharacteristically cruel. Thus, I turn to ask how I, getting nothing out of this bill while insurance companies get rich from the Americans, both through private money AND taxpayer money, is showing the tiniest bit of selflessness. It seems like a gut punch.

A soul? Really now? And your dog? You're trying to apply human emotional characteristics to a dog. I understand happiness or sadness, even anger or fear, but compassion? I'd call pure religious fanaticism on the soul bit and pure bullshit on the dog schtick, but this is a political discussion, not a religious one, so please try to stay on topic.

So, you want to force the poor to join the military? Sounds rather fascist to me. It's not fair to try and force a person to be involved with an organization they abhor just to get taken care of when they are sick. A baby should have the right to health care, not denied because either his parents can't pay, or because he was born premature, and therefore have a pre-existing condition. It shouldn't be a privilege anymore, and now it won't.

What options? Please, provide some examples that could save a 3 year old from death? I am enthralled~

Proof of overpopulation driving wages down?

You show selflessness by not being overly cruel or judgmental to someone who only wants to fulfill his Constitutional right to a life of happiness, even if the only happiness he has is decent health.

Or, not, it doesn't really matter now.
M. Angel
Jomei_S
Prove you have a soul.

lol you'd be the first

Beloved Sweetheart

M. Angel
Jomei_S
Prove you have a soul.

Harry Houdini's widow's still waiting for proof of his . . .
Mei tsuki7
M. Angel
Mei tsuki7
M. Angel
Mei tsuki7

It leads to apathy and not giving a s**t about anyone else but yourself.

You're point being?

Well I kind of see those things as rather bad.

Ah, okay.

Well the US is built on that idea, and living in the US I had to ask.

Why do you feel that way though? If I'm making a living and struggling to try to provide for my self and my family why should I care about someone else?

Yeah I know it's kind of built on that idea. Capitalism itself is built on an idea of individualism. It's one of the points on my list of reasons to move to another country.

I feel like a country and it's citizens have the duty to take care of all the citizens before anything else. I feel that that is patriotism, not some idea that you have to always agree with the government like has been said in the past. Patriotism is helping our country grow from the ground up and that includes helping everyone.

On that note, I agree with you, but it isn't the role of the government to work for the citizenry. That's true patriotism, the individual making a sacrifice for their common man. And lots of people do this. To let a former member of the Democratic party say it best:
"Ask not what your country can to for you, ask what you can do for your country." ~John F. Kennedy
I totally believe that people should go out and donate time, items, and money, but it's not the role of the government to provide these things.

I'd fully agree with you, if people aren't happy with where they are, then they should move. Either to another country or another state, (You can kind of argue that each state is it's own country) whatever fits their needs.
Jomei_S
M. Angel
Jomei_S
Prove you have a soul.

lol you'd be the first

3nodding Well I always try the impossible.

@Blakaize: I'm working on my reply to yours next.

Beloved Sweetheart

M. Angel
Jomei_S
M. Angel
Jomei_S
Prove you have a soul.

lol you'd be the first

3nodding Well I always try the impossible.

@Blakaize: I'm working on my reply to yours next.

This thread has been chatterbox'd
crying
I have more pressing places to be. I'm sure you'll make some good points and some very accurate debate tactics, but, I have to get back to my own thread. I've split my attention too much.

adieu.
Blakaize
M. Angel
Blakaize

1) A soul? Really now? And your dog? You're trying to apply human emotional characteristics to a dog. I understand happiness or sadness, even anger or fear, but compassion? I'd call pure religious fanaticism on the soul bit and pure bullshit on the dog schtick, but this is a political discussion, not a religious one, so please try to stay on topic.

2) So, you want to force the poor to join the military? Sounds rather fascist to me. It's not fair to try and force a person to be involved with an organization they abhor just to get taken care of when they are sick. A baby should have the right to health care, not denied because either his parents can't pay, or because he was born premature, and therefore have a pre-existing condition. It shouldn't be a privilege anymore, and now it won't.

3) What options? Please, provide some examples that could save a 3 year old from death? I am enthralled~

4) Proof of overpopulation driving wages down?

5) You show selflessness by not being overly cruel or judgmental to someone who only wants to fulfill his Constitutional right to a life of happiness, even if the only happiness he has is decent health.

Or, not, it doesn't really matter now.

1) Well if you're going to dispute the soul bit as "religious fanaticism" then I'll assume that you are not religious or do not hold the same religious belief as I, your choice to make I suppose. As to calling "bullshit on the dog schtick"... Yeah, pretty much, but to assume that compassion makes us different from animals and that is a viable reason to help our fellow man is really what I speak against. A call to emotional appeal or guilt-ing someone into acting shouldn't be a reason to do anything.

2)I don't want to force anyone to do anything. You merely presented a question of what an option would be if one can't get a job. I provided an answer. I very much doubt that every person without health insurance abhors to the military. They may abhor to combat, or war, or they may just not know the fact that the military can't end you to war unless it's specifically in the contract you sign, no matter which it is, it's still an option. If the choice is really do nothing and watch my baby die, or join the military, I'd make the choice in a heartbeat. The world isn't perfect, we work within the options we are given, and there are always options.

3)Well I already mentioned the one above, but you'd have to elaborate how a three year old would be on the verge of death, the parents can't pay, all non-profits dedicated to assisting children have refused them and social services hasn't already been called in.

4) Um, basic economics? A larger work force means that companies can charge cheaper for the labor that they want, because there's always someone else who wants the job that they can turn to. Why would a company accept a person at $10 an hour when there are 15 who could do the same at $8?

Another example, the US went into WWII and a huge portion of men were removed from the workplace. The women who filled the position got much higher wages because the companies didn't have enough people to do all the work. Population density directly effects wages.

5)I've got nothing against those who need medical treatment, just the assumption that it's the government that should fix said problem.

And we'll have to see. There's still another vote and there's always a chance for another Scott Brown type of upset by some unforeseen event.

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Angel of Bass
I'm pissed, unhappy, and worried about what the future will hold. We know he rammed this through because he knowns he's not going to be elected for another term, and it really scares me to think about who will come next if their doing this.
Besides, isn't this the reason we left Europe in the first place?

For the Tyranny? Absolutely. This Government has become corrupt, oppressive and full of elitist tyrants. Hell be for them all...

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

What happened to the ideals of our Founding Fathers? This is not what they envisioned for our nation.

Blessed Friend

14,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
Lord Izaran
Angel of Bass
I'm pissed, unhappy, and worried about what the future will hold. We know he rammed this through because he knowns he's not going to be elected for another term, and it really scares me to think about who will come next if their doing this.
Besides, isn't this the reason we left Europe in the first place?

For the Tyranny? Absolutely. This Government has become corrupt, oppressive and full of elitist tyrants. Hell be for them all...

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

What happened to the ideals of our Founding Fathers? This is not what they envisioned for our nation.
Newsflash: the Articles of Confederation FAILED, sweetheart.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff