Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lady Psycho Sexy
inb4 you get flamed for not following international current events

They're doing what England and Canada do and making healthcare free through a tax raise, basically. Apparently this goes against the fundamental democratic right of ..um... paying lower taxes?

Idk what they're so butthurt about. It's pretty selfish not to give a s**t about anyone's well-being but your own.
Ahahahahaha that was funny. Please, it's nothing like Canadian healthcare. Still worse and more expensive.

Seasonal Snack

stormylane
Heck no... I don't want to pay for my neighbors health care.
My neighbor won't get off his drunken butt to work... why should I pay one red cent of his medical bills. He wants to destroy his liver let him.
Should my taxes go up because of it... no.

Quite a simplistic way of viewing things. Of course, if you're neighbour is an alcoholic, it's probably because he's a lazy a**, not because he has personal issues. And ah, yes, he probably does want to destroy his liver quite badly.

People like this need help to be able to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Medical aid can help in doing that. Should your personal taxes go up for it? No. Should the whole society's taxes go up for it? Yes. Why?

Because I bet you'd be real glad to have other people paying for you if you were in a defavorised position. Rawls, an ethics philosophers, says that when a society adopts a law, everyone involved should try to forget what is their social position in order to imagine what they would feel like if they woke up the next day, say, as a poor immigrant monoparental woman working in a factory. So ask yourself the following question: if you were part of the people that need healthcare and can't afford it, would you b***h about it or be happy?

The unability of picturing yourself in a defavorised situation is quite a classic of upper class members of liberalist societies. "I worked for what I got, they should do the same" is their best argument.

This doesn't take into account that some people suffer from inegalities that are just produced by the way society works, by the way rich people marry rich people, thus keeping the money in the same social circles.

stormylane
btw... does anyone know if the Canadian Prime Minister paid his hospital bill?

I don't see what the Canadian Prime Minister has to do with the matter at hand. If we can judge a whole country by it's political chief, then I'd have a few things to say about the Bush years.
Petite Symphony

Do you know how many ended up on welfare as a result of laziness or sheer stupidity? Let's talk Octo-Mom and the thousands like her.

...which is why I have insomnia.
How do you know how they ended up on welfare? Did you go around interviewing them? Do you have a source that says they are lazy and stupid?

Also welfare =/= healthcare. If you have a problem with welfare, go whine in the welfare forum.
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy

They're doing what England and Canada do and making healthcare free through a tax raise, basically. Apparently this goes against the fundamental democratic right of ..um... paying lower taxes?

Idk what they're so butthurt about. It's pretty selfish not to give a s**t about anyone's well-being but your own.
Ahahahahaha that was funny. Please, it's nothing like Canadian healthcare. Still worse and more expensive.
It's nothing like Canadian healthcare yet. Things are very seldom perfect when they're first implemented; Obama wants to move toward a single-payer system as well, however.
Lady Psycho Sexy
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy

It's nothing like Canadian healthcare yet. Things are very seldom perfect when they're first implemented; Obama wants to move toward a single-payer system as well, however.
It's nothing like it at all. All it really did is force you to pay for health insurace which makes the companies more powerful. You guys have done nothing to address the underlying problems so it's really no closer to Canadian style, and with the bullets through windows response it won't be.

Familiar Traveler

14,475 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Lady Psycho Sexy
Petite Symphony

Do you know how many ended up on welfare as a result of laziness or sheer stupidity? Let's talk Octo-Mom and the thousands like her.

How do you know how they ended up on welfare? Did you go around interviewing them? Do you have a source that says they are lazy and stupid?

Also welfare =/= healthcare. If you have a problem with welfare, go whine in the welfare forum.
I only sleep with people I love...

Right. Healthcare. Why do I object to healthcare reform? 'Cause that means I lose my apartment due to higher taxes based on morals that I don't have. Why should I be expected to pay for your health and well being? I don't know you. I don't care if you have three kids and a damned puppy that need you to provide for them. I have my own life to worry about and this bill doesn't just tax "the rich." It taxes me, too. And I'm what people would classify as "poor working class."

rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy

It's nothing like it at all. All it really did is force you to pay for health insurace which makes the companies more powerful. You guys have done nothing to address the underlying problems so it's really no closer to Canadian style, and with the bullets through windows response it won't be.
Actually, I'm Canadian, so it's not 'us guys', it's 'them'. And don't the two largest medical health providers in America already operate under the Government? How is that giving more power to the companies? What companies?

@Symphony: If a new tax runs the risk of overturning your life, that is because you are not living within your means and it's not the government's responsibility to teach you how to budget. Also, if you're this worried about paying an extra tax, how worried would you be when you got faced with a several thousand dollar medical bill?

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Shaarr
stormylane
My neighbor won't get off his drunken butt to work... why should I pay one red cent of his medical bills. He wants to destroy his liver let him.

Quite a simplistic way of viewing things. Of course, if you're neighbour is an alcoholic, it's probably because he's a lazy a**, not because he has personal issues. And ah, yes, he probably does want to destroy his liver quite badly.

People like this need help to be able to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Medical aid can help in doing that. Should your personal taxes go up for it? No. Should the whole society's taxes go up for it? Yes. Why?

Because I bet you'd be real glad to have other people paying for you if you were in a defavorised position. Rawls, an ethics philosophers, says that when a society adopts a law, everyone involved should try to forget what is their social position in order to imagine what they would feel like if they woke up the next day, say, as a poor immigrant monoparental woman working in a factory. So ask yourself the following question: if you were part of the people that need healthcare and can't afford it, would you b***h about it or be happy?

The unability of picturing yourself in a defavorised situation is quite a classic of upper class members of liberalist societies. "I worked for what I got, they should do the same" is their best argument.

This doesn't take into account that some people suffer from inegalities that are just produced by the way society works, by the way rich people marry rich people, thus keeping the money in the same social circles.

stormylane

I don't see what the Canadian Prime Minister has to do with the matter at hand. If we can judge a whole country by it's political chief, then I'd have a few things to say about the Bush years.

I do believe people should work for what they get.
I do not believe our debts should just be written off.
If it takes someone their whole life to pay their debts then so be it.

I am uninsured.
Have been most of my life.
Because of medical bills I have no savings.... never will.
I owe more then 150k in hospital bills... I could declare bankruptcy & get out from under them, but it wouldn't be right.
No, I'll likely never pay off my medical bills.. we can only afford 100.00 a month to go towards our debt.
"So ask yourself the following question: if you were part of the people that need healthcare and can't afford it, would you b***h about it or be happy?"
My answer to that is no... I am not happy about this.
I do not want my neighbors paying my bills. I don't wish to pay theirs.
We work like dogs to keep the heat on in the winter, I can't afford my taxes going up.
I can't afford to buy into any health plan.
I'm doing my best just to save up some cash to leave my kids so they can bury me.
Lady Psycho Sexy
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy

Actually, I'm Canadian, so it's not 'us guys', it's 'them'. And don't the two largest medical health providers in America already operate under the Government? How is that giving more power to the companies? What companies?

@Symphony: If a new tax runs the risk of overturning your life, that is because you are not living within your means and it's not the government's responsibility to teach you how to budget. Also, if you're this worried about paying an extra tax, how worried would you be when you got faced with a several thousand dollar medical bill?
No, they don't. The government bailed them out (like AIG) but the government doesn't run them. That's why the U.S. government is taking the next couple years to get their own insurance company running. At which point you'll be fined for not paying for health insurance from either the government or anouther company,who'll undoubtably undersell the government to make more money. With the limited basic government option versus the multitude of company options, people will go for the companies giving them more money.

Liberal Genius

rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy
rpottage
Lady Psycho Sexy

There is really no such thing as "canadian style healthcare". It assumes that we all run under a uniform healthcare system, which is false. Each province has its own different system.

Dapper Lunatic

.... Are you from North of Sixty where this American bullcrap doesn't pollute our airwaves? Seriously, people had guns in town meetings. Turn on something other then YTV for once.
um ya just saying Canada's 13% tax is sooo bad i got to pay a extra $1.30 every time i spend $10 oh my god im going to die. oh ya i wont because we actually have health care.
I'm a Canadian and personally I'm really greatful for out health system, with the number of times I've had to go to the doctor for anything. HOWEVER, I can see why it would bother some Americans, cuz although we have free healthcare, our taxes are real bitches. Like shiiitt do we ever have endless taxes! So, I dunno, I'm not gonna say what I think the States should do or not, cuz I don't feel the same way about it cuz I'm not American. I just hope that whatever happens to the States is gonna work out.
i agree with Sayuri Gato.
Taxes are really crippling here in Canada so from that angle i agree. also, i can completely understand why someone wouldnt want to pay for the vices (smoking, drinking, plain stupidity) of their neighbours
however, as far as the working class goes i think it would be a real improvent for people that are injured while at work or in an accident. but, like i said, i've only experienced our system and how it works so i can't really understand the current benefits of the state's health care system as it is.

6,550 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
AnarchoPhiliac
stormylane

Why does that matter? It was Danny Williams who went to Florida to get care.

Stephen Harper can get the best ******** care in North America right here in Ontario if he wanted. But he doesn't need to because he's a healthy wittle pwime minista oh yes he is.

I love the free health care, im going in to surgery in 2 weeks and i do not have ot pay for it. I would have to say i pay my tax's but i get all the money back with in the tax season anyways. so im happy.

Also the goverment sucks i hate the goverment they are a waist of time, every now and then you get a person that actually does do something and not sit on their as s for 4 years and do nothing. at least the USA is getting changes while canadians will never see a change cause there is not much ot change other then every medication is 10 dollers.

you got to love the movie sicko, or bowling for colimbine, or what other movies they guy made

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff