Welcome to Gaia! ::

procrasturbate
[gossamer]!smile.

By that logic, all citations are appeals to authority.

you mad?

your source is a shitty article, not definitive proof.

I gave proof. He doesn't have to like it. I met my burden.

Now if he'd like to disprove my stance, he's welcome to. But simply saying "nope lol you're still rong" is kinda childish.
[gossamer]!smile.
procrasturbate
[gossamer]!smile.

you mad?

your source is a shitty article, not definitive proof.

I gave proof. He doesn't have to like it. I met my burden.

Now if he'd like to disprove my stance, he's welcome to. But simply saying "nope lol you're still rong" is kinda childish.
It's a fallacy. rolleyes
[gossamer]!smile.
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.

Yes. There are busses that run to the middle of nowhere, 50+ miles out of town just to provide shuttling services.

And yes. People just hop the train to get on the train, like the good ol' days. Where there was a train station in every small town or city that connected to the main city.

Jesus christ.

Your incredulity isn't proof. I'm still waiting for proof of your claim. Some dude saying it's necessary doesn't make it true. Your article wasn't written by anyone of authority nor did it include sources.

I provided my proof. You don't need to like it. But you're more than welcome to rebut. Your turn to prove that cars aren't necessary.

Your proof was invalid. It's an appeal to authority. Your argument has no support.

No. Because the dude who wrote the article had no authority to be making his claims. No research at all. It all depends on trusting him.
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
[ cari ]
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.

I don't remember making a claim.

neutral

I changed it to size 24 for ya

I'd like to hear your argument for why you don't think that most areas of the U.S. need a car for day-to-day life?

I need one... why? Someone else is saying it's necessary. I'm waiting for them to prove it. I have no need to have it disproved, if it isn't proved their argument dies and that is good enough for me.

They may not seem necessary to you, but to many, cars are far more convenient and much more efficient then using public transportation.

For me it is necessary to own a car. I commute to college every week day, and then straight to work, etc.

Convenience and efficiency don't make them necessary.

How about you folks get back on topic? Now, I may not be an authority figure to anyone here, but seriously. Why bicker about the necessity of cars? This is a topic about the recently voted upon health care bill. Whether or not cars are really necessary means nada with respect to your original debate.
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.

Yes. There are busses that run to the middle of nowhere, 50+ miles out of town just to provide shuttling services.

And yes. People just hop the train to get on the train, like the good ol' days. Where there was a train station in every small town or city that connected to the main city.

Jesus christ.

Your incredulity isn't proof. I'm still waiting for proof of your claim. Some dude saying it's necessary doesn't make it true. Your article wasn't written by anyone of authority nor did it include sources.

I provided my proof. You don't need to like it. But you're more than welcome to rebut. Your turn to prove that cars aren't necessary.

Your failed attempt at being clever only further proves how ignorant you are. And most likely just arguing for the sake of making yourself look clever.

But it's fine. You don't have to admit you're wrong and that for some people cars are necessary for day to day life.

I wasn't aware cars kept you alive.
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
[ cari ]

I'd like to hear your argument for why you don't think that most areas of the U.S. need a car for day-to-day life?

I need one... why? Someone else is saying it's necessary. I'm waiting for them to prove it. I have no need to have it disproved, if it isn't proved their argument dies and that is good enough for me.

They may not seem necessary to you, but to many, cars are far more convenient and much more efficient then using public transportation.

For me it is necessary to own a car. I commute to college every week day, and then straight to work, etc.

How about you folks get back on topic? Now, I may not be an authority figure to anyone here, but seriously. Why bicker about the necessity of cars? This is a topic about the recently voted upon health care bill. Whether or not cars are really necessary means nada with respect to your original debate.

You didn't pay attention did you?

Comparison made between forcing someone to buy health insurance and being forced to buy car insurance.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.

Jesus christ.

Your failed attempt at being clever only further proves how ignorant you are. And most likely just arguing for the sake of making yourself look clever.

But it's fine. You don't have to admit you're wrong and that for some people cars are necessary for day to day life.

Yeah, wheelchairs don't either. Go up to a person in one and take it from them, then scream about how it's not necessary and link them a wikipedia page about human arms and go into a seizure ranting about how they can just crawl everywhere.
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.

Yeah, wheelchairs don't either. Go up to a person in one and take it from them, then scream about how it's not necessary and link them a wikipedia page about human arms and go into a seizure ranting about how they can just crawl everywhere.

...Which has what to do with Cars not being necessary?
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
[ cari ]

Comparison made between forcing someone to buy health insurance and being forced to buy car insurance.

Car insurance and health insurance are different.

Why aren't employers required to provide car insurance options?

It's apples and oranges.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.

i'm sure it doesn't but i do have to applaud him for the most creative red herring of the month.
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison

It's apples and oranges.

Which was our point. Kinda.
Lord George Kapland
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison

It's apples and oranges.

Which was our point. Kinda.

Perhaps I should just shut up and listen for a bit in this case... I was just amused with the way things were going.
procrasturbate
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.
Lord George Kapland
[gossamer]!smile.

i'm sure it doesn't but i do have to applaud him for the most creative red herring of the month.

First, thanks procrasturbate.

Second, it has to do with cars being necessary in the sense that they are necessary for day to day life for some people.

As wheelchairs are necessary for some people, there are people who rely on cars equally. Not in the same way, but they are necessary for day to day life.

Attempting to be clever and saying "oh lol well I didn't know a car/wheelchair kept you alive" to 'prove' it isn't necessary is foolish.
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison
Dark Lord Drake
Mr. Morrison

It's apples and oranges.

It wasn't about what employers were required to do, it was about what people in general would be required to do.

Edit:

This was what started this:

Quote:

*Most people will be required to obtain health insurance coverage or pay a fine if they don't. Healthcare tax credits become available to help people with incomes up to 400 percent of poverty purchase coverage on the exchange.
Lord George Kapland
[ cari ]
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.
Dark Lord Drake
[gossamer]!smile.

Move to Dearborn, Michigan. Get a job in Detroit. Try to use the public transportation to get to your job and back.

Let me know if you'd rather just get a car.

Give me the money to try it or find a source to support your claims. neutral

I don't remember making a claim.

neutral

I changed it to size 24 for ya

Convenience doesn't equate necessary.

That's interesting. A few days ago I was in a debate about human dependency on technology, and we came to a much different conclusion.

The automobile has become so integrated as a form of transportation that it has become necessary for most people. The invention of the car has re-shaped society and now everyone has to comform to it or be left behind. We don't work close to home, we commute, because it gives us better access to jobs. Large families don't live so close together, everyone has spread out to different areas of a state, sometimes even different states. College students have the option to commute instead of living on or within minutes of their campuses, allowing them to stay with their families while going through school. In medical situations, you can hop in the car and take your ill friend or family member to a medical facility. You have broader access to medical, dental, veterinary care, you name it. And if you can find a single suburban mother who doesn't require a car to get to the grocery store or take their kids to afterschool activities, I might pee myself.

I would love it if public transportation like trains and busses were more popular, but the sad fact is that they're not. Public transportation doesn't always work to a persons advantage as far as running schedules and working hours. If you've ever tried to schedule your college classes to match with the local public transportation, you'd find that it's extremely difficult and honestly not worth the trouble, it's far more plausible to own your own car and be free of time restrictions. I live a half an hour from Baltimore, so I can say from experience that the closer you live to the inner-city, the easier it becomes to utilize public transportation. However the further you go into suburban and rural communities, it's damn near improbable and a right pain in the a**. And until it doesn't become a pain in the a**, we're dependent on the automobile, as messed up and sad as it is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff