Welcome to Gaia! ::

There I was, making a simple ham and cheese sandwich when my mom comes in and looks condescendingly at me and my dinner. "You're going to eat THAT?!" was the first thing she said before going on a tirade about the sodium and fat content of the ham. I just gave her a "really?" look and walked away with it.

You'd think that being a healthy-weight individual with overweight parents that I wouldn't be judged on what I eat but it happens ALL the time. My dad is less about fat content and more about preservatives and non-organic... but that has more to do with his conspiracy theories about the government trying to poison our country (no lie).

I also get this from coworkers. One example I remember is when a stuck up girl I worked with was scolding me for putting TWO WHOLE (gasp!) packets of dressing on my salad instead of one. Meanwhile, she was eating cookie dough. stare

- Why do you think people feel the need to judge others on what they eat (even if they're not overweight)?

- Are you often the victim of such judgement? What do you say or do in a situation like that?

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

They want you to feel bad about what you're eating because they feel guilty about the garbage they stuff their own faces with.
oh my god.. now i feel bad, my best friend is overweight and shes just started reaping in the negative side of all the s**t she eats, she now has high blood pressure and has to go on pills for it, the doctor keeps nagging her to eat healthy (and so do i), her version of eating healthy is mcdonalds 3 times a week, pizza once a week, salt and butter and cheese in EVERYTHING! and a few veggies here and there smothered in salt... and then she complains about how fat she is D: ITS DRIVING ME NUTS! her boyfriend is worse, the only veggies he eats are potatoes, the rest is meat and meat fat and cheese and ... i feel sick... i mean nothing wrong with a ham and cheese toastie, nothing wrong with a little extra dressing in a salad every now and then.

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I would just continue eating whatever it is, eating slowly to make it look like I'm really enjoying it. And watch them while I'm chewing. But not say anything.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I get some of the same kind of crap from my sister. I think she's just mad because we both eat about the same, both portion-wise and food-wise, but she still weighs about 10-15 lbs. more than me. I chalk it up to metabolism, but i don't think she believes it.

Even if she is technically overweight, I think she looks fine and that her figure looks great. I think she also takes some pride in the fact that I'm jealous of her butt...

Shirtless Smoker

4,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Your in more danger stating your opinion.
I smoke ciggeretes and when someone says Your going to die eventually, I respond Well your going to get hit in a few seconds i wonder what will come sooner

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

biobunny1
oh my god.. now i feel bad, my best friend is overweight and shes just started reaping in the negative side of all the s**t she eats, she now has high blood pressure and has to go on pills for it, the doctor keeps nagging her to eat healthy (and so do i), her version of eating healthy is mcdonalds 3 times a week, pizza once a week, salt and butter and cheese in EVERYTHING! and a few veggies here and there smothered in salt... and then she complains about how fat she is D: ITS DRIVING ME NUTS! her boyfriend is worse, the only veggies he eats are potatoes, the rest is meat and meat fat and cheese and ... i feel sick... i mean nothing wrong with a ham and cheese toastie, nothing wrong with a little extra dressing in a salad every now and then.

You shouldn't feel too badly about it - you were trying to help since she's putting her life at risk by ignoring her doctor's advice. If she has high blood pressure and continues to eat salty foods like that, I think the only way she'll learn is a trip to the hospital. Sometimes even that doesn't work if someone is deep enough in their denial.

At this point, the ball is in her court now. People have tried helping and warning her she's at risk - it's her turn to make the decision.

Dapper Ladykiller

I think people don't know how to help you a lot of times without 'scare tactics' you know? It's hard to convey what they mean a lot of times. I found that a lot of times, "hey boo what are you doing that for?" or "lets go grab a salad bar sometimes!" is a lot more effective than "seriously? that again?" even if its the same sentiment. Using positive language is a way better motivator than putting people down, and is met with less resentment.
Super Fightin Prototype
biobunny1

You shouldn't feel too badly about it - you were trying to help since she's putting her life at risk by ignoring her doctor's advice. If she has high blood pressure and continues to eat salty foods like that, I think the only way she'll learn is a trip to the hospital. Sometimes even that doesn't work if someone is deep enough in their denial.

At this point, the ball is in her court now. People have tried helping and warning her she's at risk - it's her turn to make the decision.

Yeah, you have to have tact when dealing with people like this. Constantly bringing it up MAY make them more stressed out about the situation and lead them to eat more/less healthy. I think the best way to bring it up, when you do, is to voice your concern for their well-being (instead of making it sound like you're disappointed in them).

But this person ^ is right that there are some people who will do whatever they want with their life no matter what and in that case you just have to let it be, no matter how hard that is.

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
My mom will tell me to quit eating so much on these days when I'm hungry for some reason, but I don't really care about that. I generally don't eat a lot, so people either don't say anything, or will make fun of the small amounts I eat or the fact that I drink water all the time.

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
It's much easier to give 'advice' than to take it.
Ugh I hate when people do that. Especially if it's friends or parents. And VERY especially if they're overweight. Because clearly they're doing it wrong. -_-

I just take those types of opportunities to give a mini lecture about the nutrition of whatever food it is. I've read so many nutrition books. D: Sometimes it's good to make people aware of what they THINK they know.

Dapper Shapeshifter

I think when people say that what it shows is that they care....even if the way they put it might not be the most 'palatable' way. XD

Parents always nag. XD I'm sure it's a built-in gene somewhere that parenting activates.

Of course in the end, it's still up to you to make your own decision about what you eat (or not eat)

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
Izzy815

- Why do you think people feel the need to judge others on what they eat (even if they're not overweight)?

Many reasons, some people make comments about what others eat because they feel like to alert the eaters what they are eating are a surprise to them; some people want to tell people to eat healthier; some people just comment for releasing their astonishment; etc.

If they don't really care about you, they won't even comments, that's all. But if you really are not happy with how they express their words, just explain to them why you like it that way you are eating, it's alright. biggrin

Izzy815

- Are you often the victim of such judgment? What do you say or do in a situation like that?

yes, I am a victim of being judged. I explain why I eat differently than other people. Easy.
I get this all the time since switching to a high fat diet.
People hear those words and freak out, we are so brainwashed to believe that fat is bad people wont even believe scientific evidence!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff